AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Can you say: "local-into-local HDTV via DBS"? (I knew that you could!)

I want my "..High Density Television transmissions."[sic] :D

Watch Big Cable fight this tooth and nail. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Exactly, Rich. I've seen this misnomer countless times.

Make no mistake about it folks, if Big Broadcast gets behind this it will be HUGE NEWS!

This would be an effective technological end-run around cable by broadcasters, giving them increased leverage in cable carriage negotiations. My head is spinning with all the implications. Stand back and watch the fireworks...who knows, they might even be able to goad GM and Echostar into a "selling war"?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Maybe you are, Rich!;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would like to offer the MOORE PLAN [tm] !!!

Under this plan, ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox will give me the money to

purchase DirectTV, Echostar, and several blondes I have had my

eye on. I will of course skim several million dollars off the top for

my own use.

Ridiculous ?

Go back and read that news story closely. Did you see any of

ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, DirectTV (GM) or Echostar backing or even

discussing the plan ?

This is basically some moron in Reno who duped Yahoo into printing

this trash. Note the source: Sat49 !

You've been had !

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Perhaps we should ask Lawrence Johnston and Allana Fitzgerald. See "Financial Statement" at the Sat49 website:

http://www.sat49.com/

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Talk about a worst case scenario.. Put Disney and their peers in complete control of the distribution of all content. Now, done through a subscription service - to get around those pesky regulations on OTA broadcasting.

Say goodbye to your PVR. That's clearly too dangerous for their precious cargo.

Next, they'll have remote lockout for commercials, like the FBI warnings on your DVD player.

No thanks. I am less worried about a satellite broadcast monopoly than I am a content control monopoly.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tji
Talk about a worst case scenario.. Put Disney and their peers in complete control of the distribution of all content.
Disney and their peers in complete control? Read the business proposal again.

·
Registered
734 Posts
A Google search turned up nothing relevant on Lawrence Johnston, listed as the President of Sat49.

An Alanna Fitzgerald apparently graduated from Reno High in '76 and has been active in Reno area community groups.

I don't see the kind of high-profile business experience necessary to pull off something like this.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Sat49's wet dream.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well, my Yahoo! search of "Lawrence Johnston Reno" got this guy:

Lawrence Johnston, B.A. (Manager, Operations, Office of Telecommuni-

cations, Computer, and Information Systems, Pennsylvania

State University)

From here:

http://www.helsinki.fi/science/optek/1993/n4.txt

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I dont buy it either. If thats the way the Networks wanted to (or even could) do business, they would already be doing it. Sort of like how CBS allows their HD feed to be beamed nationwide over DBS but yet due to their contracts with their affiliates it cant be offered to every household.

If they just wanted to end run all their affiliates they wouldnt need this concept, they could just see to it that all they run is National feeds (HD or otherwise) and just let the current DBS companies sell them to everybody. And just tell their affiliates to take a hike.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
So we have a proposal, I don't care whose proposal it is or how it will work, but ideas should always be welcome. I like the concept most everyone else will like it except NAB. You know how that will lead us. Ever heard of Local into Local and Charlie Ergen?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The true backup offer will always be FAUX. They are just waiting in the wings for this thing to fall apart and will then swoop in with a lowball offer. Then I think we can kiss the expansion of HDTV over satellite goodbye for an appreciable amount of time.

This other offer appears to be less than credible and relies on a lot of other people bringing money to the table. In short, ain't gonna happen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.