AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a couple years in my house, I finally decided it was time to build my idea of the ultimate sports bar in my basement. Here's a shot of how it looked before I got started:

Obviously not too bad, but I've come to realize the bar is just too small. I've worked up a model of my design in sketchup, which I'll try to get posted later on. I plan to keep carrying on the theme of my beloved Green Bay Packers in design elements of the bar & back bar. Here's an idea of what I'm talking about- I found the perfect size and color self-sticking letters at Michaels to recreate the ring of honor from lambeau field. This goes around both sides of the soffit for my house air main trunk:

First up- framing out the back bar:

Framing everything in 2x4's & 2x2's- this will not matter since it will all be covered later on. Also, I was able to re-use the huge mirror I took out when I remodeled my bathrooms. I plan to do the etched glass effect to put the Packers "G" logo on the mirror. The boxes on each side of the mirror will house their own 37" LCD and DirecTV HD box.

I also decided to paint the backgrounds packers green. Even though the areas will be mostly covered, I didnt want to be able to see the cords for the LCD's and DirecTV receivers. also holds up my theme.

At this stage I've also mounted the supports for the shelves. Next up is to do the shelving and start doing all the finishing work around the wall unit. I will be using oak for both.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Other items of note:

The back bar area will be raised approx. 4" with cherry laminate flooring. The area underneath the cabinets which house the LCD's will have a counter and storage running most of the length of the wall.

Can lights will be removed and replaced with some type of track lighting. I would have like to used them, however the twit who installed them did not center them in the soffit. This looks crappy IMO, and relocating them so they are on center would require patching, painting, and rewiring (not enough slack). I figure this is my best option, plus it allows me to find a fixture that fits the theme a little better.

As far as the bar goes, I will be using the Corey Lane thread as inspiration. Changes will include some packer logos on the face of the bar, and an epoxy top with misc. memorabilia (cards, ticket stubs, etc.) underneath. Other details I will be adding are pillars on the corners with a faux brick finish, and a replication of the Lambeau Field Atrium entrance at the top

Also, I will be tracking cost of this build. So far in 3 trips I'm sitting at $54 (this does not include the cost of the two LCD's for $1200)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple more pics- shelving for LCD's and DTV Receivers cut, stained, and installed:

Also, another trip to the money pit for $100 (picked up all the stuff to finish the back bar) + a Monoprice order for $67 brings total project cost to $221

·
Registered
456 Posts
Looking good so far, I can't wait to see the finished bar, the area surronding it already looks sweet. How about some pictures of the other side where the full size helmets are located. I like how you did the names on the drop down...I may have to steal that idea
of course not with the Lions there would only be like 2 names ... LOL so I may l have to do the Steelers then.

·
Registered
456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpotteke22 /forum/post/16986373

Thanks- Here are some pics of the other side of the room:

WOW
Nice job. That is one of the best football shrines I've seen.......Did you make the full size helmet dispay or did you purchase? If purchased would you happen to have any info on how to get one.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO /forum/post/16986853

WOW
Nice job. That is one of the best football shrines I've seen.......Did you make the full size helmet dispay or did you purchase? If purchased would you happen to have any info on how to get one.

Thanks,

Dennis

Thanks again, the glass units the full sized helmets are in are actually from IKEA. If I remember correctly they were only about $65 each.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LSWHO- just realized the Corey Lane thread is yours- Awesome job BTW. Hope you don't mind I'm borrowing your bar design. Mine will be shaped a little differently (just one 45 deg angle).

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Looks like a very comfortable place! I had to wait until I got home to open your pics. Very nice NFL shrine!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Let me guess... Packer fan?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got around to coinverting sketchup model to JPEG. Obviously several things have changed with the back bar (That and I am a total novice at Sketchup), but the layout of the bar will be basically the same.

Also, Monoprice order showed up yesterday, so I should be able to complete all wiring and get the back bar closed up tonight.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looks great! Now let's see some Majik Man memorabilia!!

·
Registered
456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpotteke22 /forum/post/16989411

LSWHO- just realized the Corey Lane thread is yours- Awesome job BTW. Hope you don't mind I'm borrowing your bar design. Mine will be shaped a little differently (just one 45 deg angle).

No problem, steal away I don't mind.
Let me know if you need any info.

Thanks,

Dennis

One additional thing the top of the back bar has the tin ceiling material, was that product easy to use? is it the metal or plastic ones? I was thinking of doing my back splash with that and was just curious how it was to work with. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO /forum/post/17027601

No problem, steal away I don't mind.
Let me know if you need any info.

Thanks,

Dennis

One additional thing the top of the back bar has the tin ceiling material, was that product easy to use? is it the metal or plastic ones? I was thinking of doing my back splash with that and was just curious how it was to work with. Any info would be appreciated.

Will do if I run into any snags. I've gone through a minor design change, as I have eliminated the large 45 deg angle and switched to more of a U shape with entry to the back area from both sides of the bar.

As far as the tin ceiling I went with the plastic ones then sprayed them with the metallic "hammered" finish paint turned out pretty good- can't really tell its plastic at all. Super easy to work with (scissors or utility knife both work). From what I understand you have to use a tin snips for the metal tiles- unless for some reason you have access to a brake.

Also curious if you saw the reply on the displays I am using for my full-sized helmets and had any luck finding them? To clarify, those are actually 4 separate units with 4 shelves each. Don't know how far you are from IKEA, but its definately worth the trip. I wish I was closer- I have to drive down to Schaumburg, IL (probably a good thing too or I'd be broke, lol)

·
Registered
456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpotteke22 /forum/post/17027828

Will do if I run into any snags. I've gone through a minor design change, as I have eliminated the large 45 deg angle and switched to more of a U shape with entry to the back area from both sides of the bar.

As far as the tin ceiling I went with the plastic ones then sprayed them with the metallic "hammered" finish paint turned out pretty good- can't really tell its plastic at all. Super easy to work with (scissors or utility knife both work). From what I understand you have to use a tin snips for the metal tiles- unless for some reason you have access to a brake.

Also curious if you saw the reply on the displays I am using for my full-sized helmets and had any luck finding them? To clarify, those are actually 4 separate units with 4 shelves each. Don't know how far you are from IKEA, but its definately worth the trip. I wish I was closer- I have to drive down to Schaumburg, IL (probably a good thing too or I'd be broke, lol)

Okay thanks for the info, where did you purchase the plastic ones from? Online or a big box store? I did see that you said IKEA but I am in a similar situation in that we only have one here and it's a little too far. I may try to find them online at IKEA and see what it would cost to ship. I have a around 10 full size helmets that I wanted to display but didn't incorporate it in the initial design so I am reduced to trying to add on now but those are a good idea that I think I can make work. Thanks again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO /forum/post/17027974

Okay thanks for the info, where did you purchase the plastic ones from? Online or a big box store? I did see that you said IKEA but I am in a similar situation in that we only have one here and it's a little too far. I may try to find them online at IKEA and see what it would cost to ship. I have a around 10 full size helmets that I wanted to display but didn't incorporate it in the initial design so I am reduced to trying to add on now but those are a good idea that I think I can make work. Thanks again.

The tiles are from Menard's and are located by the regular celing tiles, etc. Not sure if you have those in MI, but I think Lowe's carries them too. Better to probably drive to IKEA if you are within a couple hourd drive, their shipping fees are astronomical last time I checked. Most likely due to weight and being fragile I'm sure- these cabinets are 4 sided tempered glass with tempered glass shelves. Pretty heavy box.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.