AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forum member JeremyR has discovered that BenQ has just added an updated short throw model to its website. The HT2150ST looks to be an update on the HT1085ST using the larger HT2050/HT3050 case. Main benefits of the larger case on the HT2050/HT3050 are lower fan noise levels and less light leakage, so that should now carry over to the new short throw model. If pricing follows past practice the HT2150ST should have a street price about $100 higher than the HT2050.

http://www.benq.us/product/projector/HT2150ST/

·
Registered
946 Posts
Stereo speakers like the 3050.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like early street pricing from vendors already listing it is $200 more than the HT2050. Assuming the same throw range for the HT2150ST as the HT1085ST, the closest it can be to a 100" screen is 5' while 8 ' 4" is the closest the HT2050 can be to a 100" screen. So the $200 cost for being able to move 40" closer to the screen comes out to $5 per inch.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Looks like early street pricing from vendors already listing it is $200 more than the HT2050. Assuming the same throw range for the HT2150ST as the HT1085ST, the closest it can be to a 100" screen is 5' while 8 ' 4" is the closest the HT2050 can be to a 100" screen. So the $200 cost for being able to move 40" closer to the screen comes out to $5 per inch.
FYI, Fry's has their final clearance on the W1085ST stock at $698 until 8/24 (needs promo code), so if the slight additional noise is not an issue you can save yourself $300 over the new HT2150ST.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
Not a fan of the red circle around the lens and power button but I suppose it gives it that little xtra for xtreme gaming. :)

This is good news! The 1085ST was a popular projector and upgrading it with the refinements of the 2050/3050 makes a lot of sense. I like that they equipped it with stereo speakers-- speakers make a ton of sense on a short throw when you consider how it's intended to be used.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BenQ is really putting a marketing push on the HT2150ST's capabilities as a gaming projector, which makes sense as its main competitor is Optoma's short throw GT1080, which is marketed primarily as a gaming projector. It will be interesting to see measured lag time.

I also notice that the HT2150ST's rated contrast has been bumped up to 15,000:1 over the HT1085ST's 10,000:1 as they did with the HT2050/HT3050 over the HT1075. Of course we know those numbers are wildly exaggerated. But any little bump in contrast performance is always welcome. I would assume the HT2150ST will maintain the HT1085ST's image quality advantage over the GT1080 for home video/theater or perhaps even widen the gap a bit. :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Interested in hearing reviews. was looking at the BenQ 1085ST but might just get the 2150ST instead. Similar price for better performance.

Throw distance can be anywhere from 6' to 13' for me. This sounds like the best options. Also, very dark basement with 0 light coming in from the outside.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will this have better performance than the regular 2050?
No one knows as there have been no published tests yet. Looking back on the HT1085ST vs. the HT1075, reviews were mixed. Some said they produced about the same images, some said the HT1075 was a little better overall and some said the HT1085ST produced a slightly better image. Adding it all up it sounds like the image performance difference between the regular and short throw BenQ models is so small that the average person probably wouldn't notice the difference. So there would be no need to get the short throw version unless it was important to you to have the projector mounted closer to the screen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didn't notice a release date anywhere. Anybody heard anything?

SB
hey i saw you posted you bought the new short throw from benq. are you using it for gaming or for home theater or both? i would be buying it for watching sports and movies, not really gaming. Currently have a 80 inch sharp UQ up there...but wuld love to make it 100-120 if i can.

Also did you have it hard wired, or have you used their wireless transmission to see how it works?

Also if you call benq, they are selling for 995.00 and giving free shipping.

·
Registered
50 Posts
hey i saw you posted you bought the new short throw from benq. are you using it for gaming or for home theater or both? i would be buying it for watching sports and movies, not really gaming. Currently have a 80 inch sharp UQ up there...but wuld love to make it 100-120 if i can.

Also did you have it hard wired, or have you used their wireless transmission to see how it works?

Also if you call benq, they are selling for 995.00 and giving free shipping.
Yeah I actually got mine yesterday morning. Wasn't expecting it until next Monday, but I haven't had the time to hook it up yet. The basement still needs paint before I go and mount anything anyway.

SB

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah I actually got mine yesterday morning. Wasn't expecting it until next Monday, but I haven't had the time to hook it up yet. The basement still needs paint before I go and mount anything anyway.

SB

Nice! Let me know how you like it. Trying to actually get the HT4050 to work in my basement instead...but i have a lower ceiling from vent...so got to clear that..or use the ST2150 in front of where it drops...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice! Let me know how you like it. Trying to actually get the HT4050 to work in my basement instead...but i have a lower ceiling from vent...so got to clear that..or use the ST2150 in front of where it drops...
So I dug it out of the box last weekend and set it up just shooting at the wall (didn't take any pics :mad: ) and the brightness and clarity of the image is astounding to me. I am coming from an old Viewsonic VGA projector, and this thing just really shines. I didn't notice any RBE like I had with my HT2050 that I returned a month or so ago, which is nice. I ordered a Chief mount which should be here in a couple of days. The contractor is finishing up the basement this next week (final inspection is Wednesday!) and then I'll get all the HT stuff up and running. I'll make sure to take some pics and post back here.

SB

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good initial report. Besides seeing a little less RBE with the HT2150, can you comment on any other differences in image quality that you noticed between it and the HT2050? They should be very similar except for the lens. The wide angle lenses on BenQ's short-throw models are larger than the ones on their standard throw models and some believe they're a little higher quality piece of glass, which is one of the reasons why the short-throw models cost more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good initial report. Besides seeing a little less RBE with the HT2150, can you comment on any other differences in image quality that you noticed between it and the HT2050?
I wish I could be more help here, but I only threw up a test pattern with the 2050 (and panned the projector side to side to get the RBE). Never actually projected anything on it before boxing it up and sending it back. Sorry.

SB

EDIT: Finally got the Chief mount in the mail. Hopefully get to mounting on Saturday (sorry for blown-out image).

PJ mount by Steven Bills, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 248 Posts