AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the best OTA antenna in my room and I never realized how great it truly performed until AFTER I got my DST 3000. When I first borrowed a Panasonic STB, I could only get NBC, CBS and Fox - because the Panasonic didn't have an NTSC tuner, I couldn't tell what kind of signal strength I was really getting.

I went and purchased an independent RS bowtie antenna that was all the rave and it performed fairly well, albeit more sensitive in terms of orientation.

Now with my DST3000, the RS bowtie wasn't able to pull in NTSC signals very well and its OTA Digital reception was on and off.. I went back to my original antenna and the signal meter for all channels just shot up to 93-100!

The RS antenna is a long, flat, white antenna that looks like a similar design as the Terk TV55, but perhaps 14 inches shorter and almost virtually flat. It's white and much lower profile and blends in perfectly with my wall when attached with white velcro.

Home Theater Mag reviewed this antenna along with about 5 others and this one rated the best so I purchased it based on their experiences. I wasn't disappointed with NTSC at all but it wasn't perfect because I had always believed that my room was truly a "black hole" (Even my cell phone doesn't work) I never realized that it was mmuch better for DTV than for NTSC in my room.. Now I have one antenna for both, which works perfectly well for the DST3000.

BTW - Since this antenna was discontinued, I picked up 1 of the 3 in my local RS for 70% off of the $100 original price.

If you're lucky enough to find a "straggling" one there, I suggest trying it out...

Elbert

·
Registered
201 Posts
What model is it?

------------------

-- jas

·
Registered
407 Posts
Is it UHF, VHF or both? Most antennas for digital tv work best with UHF only. That may have been your problem trying to pull in VHF NTSC stations with a UHF antenna.

-Brett

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The antenna refered to originally in this thread is the RatShack model 15-1847 "Discreet Amplified Stick TV Antenna", and sells at retail for $99.99. These are 76" long and bi-directional antennas. Not likely a good choice in multipath-prone areas or situations involving co-channel interferrence from opposite directions within their stated 10 to 55 mile range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.