AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

HI EVERYONE!  Ok, here I'm the newbie on the block so let the debate start a new. Guess what?  I'm shopping for a new under $800 sub. I have a small room 13X11 X8.  I like a tight sound and not  overly concerned with SPL but I am concerned with low bass extension  Ok I'll fess up, I like organ music and don't enjoy Rap or buildings exploding so you can gather I will use it far more for music then movies lol.  The leading contenders appear to be the HSU line of adjustable Q subs and the SVS subs, however I'm now hearing about the Power Sound X15 line and Power Sound Audio in general.  Save me some money and time and lets here your opinions as well as which type and model.  Have a great woofin day!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Don't forget Rythmik subs!

·
Registered
9,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24545524

Don't forget Rythmik subs!

Not in his budget.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

·
Registered
9,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24545681

And that would be incorrect!

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html
Forgot about that one. It doesn't quite match the other subs mentioned though.

The $800 subs are a step up.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24545690

Forgot about that one. It doesn't quite match the other subs mentioned though.

The $800 subs are a step up.

Yeah, but you posted that there weren't any in his budget, not your

Opinion that it wouldn't match the performance of the other subs.

In his size room,with his requirements the Rythmik could very

Well meet his requirements.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24545714

Yeah, but you posted that there weren't any in his price range, not your

Opinion that it wouldn't match the other subs.

In his size room,with his requirements the Rythmik could very

Well meet his requirements.
I DID say I forgot about that one.

Based on his post the lvr12 would be easily surpassed by the HSU VTF 3, PB 2000, or PSA XV 15.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24545720

I DID say I forgot about that one.

Based on his post the lvr12 would be easily surpassed by the HSU VTF 3, PB 2000, or PSA XV 15.

Well, that would be YOUR opinion.. (Which is what the OP asked for)

My opinion is that for the OP's size room,and that he stated that he doesn't need

Huge SPL's and the fact that he will use it it for largely music listening...the servo

Controlled Rythmik could very easily fit the bill.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24545768

Well, that would be YOUR opinion.. (Which is what the OP asked for)

My opinion is that for the OP's size room,and that he stated that he doesn't need

Huge SPL's and the fact that he will use it it for largely music listening...the servo

Controlled Rythmik could very easily fit the bill.
Maybe you need to reread the op. He is looking for MAX EXTENSION. The LVR signs off on the low 20s.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24545774

Maybe you need to reread the op. He is looking for MAX EXTENSION. The LVR signs off on the low 20s.

My reading comprehension is just fine...thank you!

The subs in the OP's price range can generally get down to

The high teens in freq response (SVS,HSU,PSA) the Rythmik

Down to the low 20's. Not really a HUGE difference. Certainly

Not enough to dismiss the Rythmik.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24545850

My reading comprehension is just fine...thank you!

The subs in the OP's price range can generally get down to

The high teens in freq response (SVS,HSU,PSA) the Rythmik

Down to the low 20's. Not really a HUGE difference. Certainly

Not enough to dismiss the Rythmik.
The HSU will get to 16hz, the SVS to 17 and the PSA probably the same. That makes the difference between feeling/hearing the lowest pipe organ note and not.

The LVR does not play I'm the same league as the others.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24545863

The HSU will get to 16hz, the SVS to 17 and the PSA probably the same. That makes the difference between feeling/hearing the lowest pipe organ note and not.

The LVR does not play I'm the same league as the others.

That is your opinion, mine is that the Rythmik will be just as competitive and

Have the distinct advantage of the well documented "direct servo technology".

Your just miffed because I corrected you when you posted..."Not in his budget"

Later...

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24545907

That is your opinion, mine is that the Rythmik will be just as competitive and

Have the distinct advantage of the well documented "direct servo technology".

Your just miffed because I corrected you when you posted..."Not in his budget"

Later...

I have directly compared the LV12r's predecessor, the FV12, to a VTF3 mk3. The FV12 was excellent for its price, but it didn't quite have the output or extension ability of the VTF3. If you don't need loud and you don't need sub 20 Hz, the LV12r would do fine. The VTF2 mk4 would be up to that task as well. While a handful of organs have the ability to playback a 16 Hz note (they need a 32 ft pipe to do it), they aren't very common on recordings. I'm not sure I would buy a huge sub just to playback that very occasional and uncommon low note unless I were a devoted pipe organ enthusiast. Hsu ships a demo disc with their subs that have a pipe organ recording of Saint-Saëns with a tremendous, sustained 16 Hz fundamental. I ought to check out a spectral graph of that tune sometime.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24546024

I have directly compared the LV12r's predecessor, the FV12, to a VTF3 mk3. The FV12 was excellent for its price, but it didn't quite have the output or extension ability of the VTF3. If you don't need loud and you don't need sub 20 Hz, the LV12r would do fine. The VTF2 mk4 would be up to that task as well. While a handful of organs have the ability to playback a 16 Hz note (they need a 32 ft pipe to do it), they aren't very common on recordings. I'm not sure I would buy a huge sub just to playback that very occasional and uncommon low note unless I were a devoted pipe organ enthusiast. Hsu ships a demo disc with their subs that have a pipe organ recording of Saint-Saëns with a tremendous, sustained 16 Hz fundamental. I ought to check out a spectral graph of that tune sometime.

Thanx, that was a very informative post..I'm not familiar with pipe organ music. I didn't think

Pipe organs went below 20hz but I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,686 Posts

I will post an oft overlooked option:  PSA XS15.  Sealed 15" 500/1000 watts, will play 16 Hz notes cleanly without port noise or chuffing.  Since you are not as concerned with max output for movies, this would be a great option, and will actually extend lower than the ported subs.  With a longest room dimension of 13', room gain will kick in for you around 43 Hz.  I would expect this sub to play relatively flat to 14 Hz or lower in your room.

Granted, whether you can actually hear that 16 Hz note is debatable, some believe you are actually hearing the 2nd order harmonic of 32 Hz.

I can feel 16 Hz for sure, but hearing it I can not say for a 100% fact.  Regardless, a very high %, much higher than 99%, of all music is over 40Hz.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
According to Wikipedia, tones as low as 12 Hz can be heard under ideal conditions. Also, I hate to say this but the XS15 would be a particularly poor choice for chasing after a 16 Hz note. The XV15 nearly manages to hit 40% distortion at 16 Hz, and that model was ported. Take away the port and it would be so much worse.

·
Registered
14,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24546207

According to Wikipedia, tones as low as 12 Hz can be heard under ideal conditions. Also, I hate to say this but the XS15 would be a particularly poor choice for chasing after a 16 Hz note. The XV15 nearly manages to hit 40% distortion at 16 Hz, and that model was ported. Take away the port and it would be so much worse.

Sure but not all of us sit outside under the moonlight listening to our subs...place the sub in room and distortion will drastically reduce being going from outdoor 2m rms to indoor 1/8 space corner loaded will only require half of the cone excursion and power to reach those max burst sweeps you live by. Guess what that means....drastically lower distortion.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbark  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24545514

not  overly concerned with SPL but I am concerned with low bass extension  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1524897/new-best-under-800-sub-enters-the-mix#post_24546207

the XS15 would be a particularly poor choice for chasing after a 16 Hz note. The XV15 nearly manages to hit 40% distortion at 16 Hz, and that model was ported. Take away the port and it would be so much worse.
Maybe at max CEA2010 output using a sine wave and electronic measurement.  I assume it would play clean at moderate volumes, as extension should be much lower in ops small room, and no port noise or chuffing to worry about.

I know I cannot detect "distortion" with my PSA sub when listening to music or movies.  Just sounds like clean bass to me.  Also, I can play content that makes ported subs huff and chuff like crazy without any trace of struggle.  Crank up "The Bass Will Destroy You" on your ported subs even a little bit and see what happens.  Plays clean as a whistle on mine.  Just saying.

Perhaps a more discerning listener would be able to detect what sounds like distortion, but I cannot.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts