AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woohoo!!! I noticed the e-mail light on my UTV this morning before I went to work, so I logged on to check it out. Lo and behold, the new beta has arrived!!!!

I downloaded it when I got home from work. I have to say, without violating the NDA of course, that there are quite a few awesome changes in store for the rest of you and one feature is going to be a Tivo killer!!!! (Sorry Tivo Fans) For those of you that see several things about UTV you don't like, just hang in there, because what they will be rolling out soon will make you glad you own a UTV.

For those Tivo fans who probably think this is just a way to boost UTV or hang onto it's disgruntled adherents, just wait, because there is one feature you will be screaming for when you find out UTV has it.

I'm going to reiterate, I will not violate the NDA, so don't even bother asking me about new features. The last beta only lasted about a month or 2 before going full release, so you'll have it soon and will find out for yourself. I know the last beta was really minor and even us beta testers expected more, well now we've gotten it. So, log on and get the update!!!!

P.S.- Have any of the beta testers from the last group noticed that the trial site doesn't have any way for us to communicate with each other like the last beta? I really wish they had brought that part back, it was nice to see what other beta testers had to say and we can't say any of it here or on a UTV newsgroup somewhere on the Net or we would violate the NDA?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not to be too much of a wet blanket here, but...

Just announcing that you've recently received a new beta version of code might be considered a violation of the beta agreement...

I'm not saying that you've done anything wrong, or saying that UTV's stance in this matter is 'correct' (whatever that may be - I sure don't know) . I'm just saying that its a fine-line judgement call, and its not our call to make - so be careful...

Enjoy the new code and test it well, so that we'll all be sure to end up with a better product...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Microsoft has been selling preview (beta) versions of their desktop operating systems for a long time. Most recently, Windows XP, which I purchased as a previewer and had access to from beta to RC2. So when beta versions come out, it's public knowledge. I feel, as long as I am not specific about the new software, there is no harm in announcing that it exists.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Any room for more beta testers? Where can I go to find out?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deepthinker
P.S.- Have any of the beta testers from the last group noticed that the trial site doesn't have any way for us to communicate with each other like the last beta? I really wish they had brought that part back, it was nice to see what other beta testers had to say and we can't say any of it here or on a UTV newsgroup somewhere on the Net or we would violate the NDA?
they have a newsgroup set up. email me the name of your webtv address and I'll pass your information to the person in charge of the beta program so he can give you the details of the beta newsgroup. strange you didn't receive the email about it, they are usually good with those things.

for obvious reasons we can't use AVSForum for any beta communications...

·
Registered
154 Posts
So this upgrade will probably come during the week before Thanksgiving while I'm away at Comdex and my girlfried will be totally lost with the new options. Can't wait!

disclaimer: I'm not a beta tester, so this time period is totally speculation on my part.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pjenkins

for obvious reasons we can't use AVSForum for any beta communications...
Sure, you can use AVSFORUMS....... ;) :D

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Paul (aka Pjenkins) has said the same thing in few threads. This is a major update from what i've heard. it will have alot of features we've asked for. I've also heard the guide is faster from some information i found (don't ask for it). Lets hope they took alot of the stuff from are request thread and put them in the UTV.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For those interested, I responded in a very civil fashion to some of the things being said by our PVR brethren on the other side of the aisle about my post. So, feel free to go over to their forum and check it out. But please, do not go over there and disrespect their forum or any of it's members. Neither my original post here nor my follow-up in their thread was meant to start a pissing contest. There has been enough of this silliness. I just wanted to clarify my statements to the Tivo faithful. As I said over there, it's just TV, so let's try not to take it so seriously.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum1/HTML/009225.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can we speculate that our next update will include:

___ (1) New features for daily use (such as the Scheduling and Keep Until features included in the last update)

___ (2) New options (such as the much-desired don't bug me with those icons for web sites while watching a show)

___ (3) New hardware enabled (such as when Tivo suddenly became a "two-tuner" unit). UTV's has such a great array of inputs/outputs on the box, but so much is disabled.

Feel free to tease us by hinting at which may apply, without giving actual details, of course!

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Well after just receiving the upgrade. I can only say it is a giant step in the right direction.

I am glad that after returning a Tivo last week, I replaced it with another UTV.

Not to bad mouth the other product, but I for one have had nothing but problems with Tivo.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know that no one knows but when can we expect to get the new software?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
mid December or January 2002 (2-3 months testing) but a artcile a few weeks back did say Q1 2002 a new upgrade was coming.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Corey140 - Do you have a link to or know where the article was about the upgrade??

I really hate to say this because I'm excited about the upgrade and the Tivo killer that deepthinker promises, but I also seem to remember that the first post about the last upgrade went about the same. It promised an amazing upgrade with all these cool features and I think most of us would argue that it was a bit weak to say the least. It makes it hard to get your hopes up.

I also thought that the upgrade would come early December or so to entice buyers at Christmas...

Just wondering...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.