Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just got a BG800 and need help setting it up.

(thanks Curt I followed the installation manual and I think I have it installed)

Now I need to do the guided portion and save the convergance information to a memory block for later use.

Also I have to place the projector on the ground. The bottom of the screen is 16" off the ground. I had to tilt the projector's front up by 5". I follow the lens programs recommendation and the image from the projector is way bigger than my 80" wide screen (100" 4:3)

I am starting to get very confused......

Thanks for your help...

PS (an added pressure to make this work)

My wife comment her doubt that this will ever compete against out Davis DL450). The challenge is on.......

I dont want my BG800 to be the laughing stock of my projectors (The old guy who thought he could beat the younger smaller guy)

I have used up my toy budget for the year so ISF is not an option anytime soon...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its sad to reply to your own post....

After alot of trial and error....

I get a pretty decent picture on the s-video channel ... I still have to get my HTPC (lost my previous HTPC to the wife.. executive decision)

While the geometry isnt 100% there I was able to get a decent quality.

The only problem is that my blacks are greenish .... (At least the DL450 was charcoal).

Again how do I get my hands on an owners manual..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay,

I was able to reduce the green push by entering by using acustom color setting rather than the default 6500K .

I cannot get the rasters to line up properly I think it may be due to the angle I am pointing the projector. I would really appreciate any input

Thanks

I have read many posts, but they assume you have the manuals to look at the diagrams.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
OK, my apologies, I guess I just sent you the installation and not the owner's manual. One is in the mail tomorrow.

As for the green picture: Feed a signal into the unit, and turn the color control on the keypad all the way off. Put he brightness and contrast at about 60. Go into the menu, and reset the color balance to 6500K.

On the side of the blue tube by the yellow LED's, there are 56 controls in a block. The top three are master focus, the bottom ones are the G2 or master brightness. Sounds like the green need to come down a bit. After you set the best B/W pic you can, feel free to go into the 'custom' settings and play with the B and R levels for an even better B/W pix.

As for the width, there is a small control labelled P2 on the power supply module. That is the master width adjustment. That, along with the 'width' adjustment will give you all of the control that you need. Of course, you want to use the max raster possible, so you might move the projector forward a bit and keep the width the same. Look into the lenses at low brightness to make sure you're not hitting the sides or top or botom of the screen. willgive you shadowing of the colors at the edge of the picture.

hope that helps.

Sounds like you're almost there.

Curt

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Curt,

I need help finding the master width adjustment.

I do not know if I set this up properly.

On the s-video source the blue looks out of focus. But in the installation and the insternal source it is sharp.

I will stop playing with s-video and move to computer.

The deinterlacing is very good and I would like to use the s-video for general easy family use.

PS

My blue tube has diagonal lines on the blue tube when the g2 setting is turned up. I believe that this stops me from getting close to black because when I turn the blue down to hide the lines the red and green overpower the lue thus I cant dial in black.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I went throught the s-video source and set everything to mid point and redid the convergence. the picture is much better

The angle of the tilt of my projector was too high (from the floor to the front end). I had been trying too much compensate for it making geometry distortion was beyond repair.

After reseting the CRT geometry the pricture improved tremendously.

The s-video on this beats the s-video of the DL450 in terms of de-interlacing artifacts. I do not have any problems with macro-vision and some movies (actually animations) look very good. I will be tweaking the barco much more.

When I get my HTPC and the BG800 user manual I will unleash fury on the Davis.

Dont expect the Davis to go down quitely; I have seen it sparkle for two years and know how to tweak that little beast. The BG800 peformance will suffer until I learn how to tweak it.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clopez
Dont expect the Davis to go down quitely; I have seen it sparkle for two years and know how to tweak that little beast.
This got my attention.... what possibly could you tweak on the DL450 other then standard stuff like height/width/brightness/contrast?

Kal

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry Kal,

What I meant to convey is that I know the sweet spot settings of the projector and HTPC settings , Dscaler settings that produce a very rich pictures.

I have the EVC-VGA adapter and the BC cables.

If push comes to shove I could get the gamma table corrected ect.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Curt sent me some more detailed info on how to adjust the blue tube. Apart from have a faint vertical line that I can see when the screen is all blue , the image is drop dead gorgeous.

It is no contest... The Barco graphics wins easily with the s-video input. Unto HTPC next

The colors are richer (that Davis suffered with color saturation) and of course the blacks are great. There is absolutely no motion artifacts when watching DVDs via s-video. The image is more 3D than before.

Please note that I have only been using s-video input.

If it wasnt for the faint scan lines ( I actually sit 17ft from a 100" screen). I would not even bother with an HTPC (I have been using one for 2 years).

I am not sure what people are talking about the svideo input not being good and macrovision problems. So far I have sampled 10 DVDs and not one problem ,They may have fixed mine previously.

Again I could easily leave the projector in s-video mode and blow away my friends. This will be a great treat since my wife will not have to fiddle with the HTPC to watch a movie Just press #2 .

Next challenge will be Building my new HTPC (Actually I an taking back my HTPC and giving my wife a new computer).

I am using a Sony DVP-850 200 dvd player. I have raved about this for the past 10 months because it allows me to tweak the video settings for each individual DVD (This is a great plus).

Thanks again.

I am not out of the woods yet. I still have to position my projector to fill the screen (that another project in its self).

clopez

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Good to hear that the advice helped. Where is that blue line? right, left or center? Thick or thin?

Let me know, and we can tackle this last problem.

Curt

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI Curt,

The line is in the center of the screen. It is thin and faint, but noticable. It almost looks like a crease.

By the way,Where are the width adjustments ... Please

Thanks

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
This is a common question from Barco owners....

The thin blue horiz line in the middle of the screen happens when you push some of the geometry settings too far (keystone/bow/pincushion/etc). There's one in particular that causes the problem.... can't remember which one off hand - do a search here for for 'Barco line' - I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Make sure your physical install and mechanical setup is 100% perfect - you shouldn't have to push these settings that far if everything's perfect.

FYI - if you find the image great right now, wait 'til you try it with an HTPC! If usability's a problem, there's a new software player due out very soon (next weeks?) from one of our own here called 'TheaterTek' that's been built from the ground up for HTPC use. See the HTPC forum for more info. Otherwise you could simply add a [cheap] Iscan doubler between your set-top dvd player and the projector and be much better off, though the BG800 looks more or less best line-tripled (720p) under most circumstances.

Kal

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Wait a sec, Kal is right, but is it a H or V line?

Curt

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Oops! Yes - Curt is right (of course :)) - if the line is vertical, disregard all I said.... I could have sworn I read somewhere in there that the line was horizontal but that doesn't seem to be true...

Kal

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The line is a vertical (from to to bottom) on the screen.

Kal,

I am in the process of building my home computer. Maybe by tonight I will have my HTPC downstairs :D

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
That is weird. Try looking into teh tube to see if it is a burn, but I really doubt it. Try changing your RGB cables to see if it has to do with the HTPC feed.

I have not had this problem in another Barco to the best of my knowledge.

Curt

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Curt,

It dous not appear to be a burn in it appears only in the svideo input and can bearly be seen in movies until there is a blue screen.

I have set up my HTPC but need help in having the projector recognize the signal.

I have a Radeon 64 DDR and Powersrtip. I am using a 5 BNC cables from Better Cables. I am assuming that R-Red, G-Green, b-Blue, V-White and H-Yellow.

I cannot lock into any source.

I have set all the setting to negative sync for the Radeon and Powerstrip

Kal I am just tring to get a simple 1024x768 resolution for my HTPC.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
You're right, then it is not a burn. How long is the S-video cable? Over 10' with a cheap cable, and it might be a cable problem.

I am getting 6 more of those BArco sets in soon; if you suspect a board problem I should have parts when I get those in.

Curt

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.