AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Japan has it, France will have it this summer, now will NEW LINE wake up and revisit their titles, with DTS ?

BLADE

DARK CITY

THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT

LOST IN SPACE

THE CELL

thank you :D

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I am all for a new SE of Blade with DTS. Dark City with DTS would be great. The Cell (minus the EE) would be another good release. I don't see why they couldn't do it. If Coulmbia is making money with their SuperBit titles, maybe some other companies will join the bandwagon (Yes, I know some studios are already releasing SuperBit quality DVD's as a matter of course. I'm talking about the packaging to the consumer). In any case, A new Blade SE would be most likely, considering Blade 2 will be released in September (?). But I haven't heard any rumors of it...

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I am also all for this! I love Blade and thought Blade II wasn't that bad either. If they come out with an SE w/ dts (god willing, full bitrate) I would definetly buy it, and then buy Blade II also. Ohhh Warner, when will you wake up and smell the extra profits?!?! :)

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Why does Blade need a rerelease (aside from adding a DTS soundtrack)? I thought the current edition was loaded with features. The inclusion of DTS would require a 2 disc set or fewer features. Any review links for the BLADE DTS (french?)?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Besides, I'm sure PQ would be worse on these new editions.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
 http://www.dvdrama.net/news.php?4725

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PCBH-50043

these links first to prove my say :D

Now, some other opinions or elements:

1. NEW LINE has issued several movies on laserdisc with dts. among them, LOST IN SPACE, BLADE, DARK CITY, THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT, etc

they thus have the tracks ready, just need to halve the rate :D

2. DARK CITY has been released with an English ( and French ) DTS tracks already ( but the image suffers it seems as it's overpacked )

3. BLADE is one the best looking dvd, indeed, but in the limit of the allocated bitrate on the disc, which has supplements. A superbit or similar approach would push its quality even higher. I'm not sure though METROPOLITAN will not put 4 tracks on disc one this summer (2 dolby, 2 dts ).... there will be less tracks on the region 1 rerelease IF New Line goes with it. So there is a risk of compression artefacts because of too many audio tracks on this coming edition ( the tendance in France is to have either 4 tracks, 2 dolby 5.1 and 2 DTS 5.1 or 3 tracks: DTS french, dolby french and dolby english... and sometimes with full rate... the video often suffers ).

4. the fact that WARNER owns NEW LINE could be a big no-no to any revisiting of these titles in DTS, since Warner has "officially" stated that the dts rereleases of those "5" titles were not a success..... (note: look for the real answer elsewhere... ). On the otherhand, NEW LINE release new movies often with DTS ( LIFE AS A HOUSE, RUSH HOUR 2, LOTR SE ) so maybe they have audio freedom :)

Till then..... the Japanese release looks so far more appealing to me but I will wait and see what Metropolitan will offer us... (the Japanese has not the issue of 4 tracks nor the pal speedup..... just ntsc at 0 IRE and they surely know how to master compression !!!! ).

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
David, I agree the Japanese definitely have a jump on the US compressionists. Maybe the need lessons?

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
I have a couple of dozen Japanese DVDs and I disagree that the Japanese companies have any advantage over the US companies in mastering at any level. There are some very nice discs being mastered in Japan, but certainly the overall level of quality of Japanese releases is no better than US discs. If anything, the opposite is true.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Robert

I didn't say they are the best encoders. all I say is that the few Jap editions I have seen have great video and great sound. there is no doubt the US encoders are as good. European encoders still are in the catching up game

jeez, people are sensitive. I can understand...

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE

Mark: I don't say the Japanese dvd will be better. I say it's too bad for die hard fans not to have this movie in DTS. It was in DTS on laserdisc :D

update: the French edition will not have DTS.

I have DARK CITY in dvd and in DTS ld: the ld blows away the dvd :)

2 very dynamic, complex sounding movies which shine in dts

but let's be honest: the current edition of Blade is excellent. the dolby is excellent. the dts would raise the bar even higher :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.