AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next Monday, most Blockbusters will have a new rental plan available. For $21.99 per month, you can have 1 movie out, or game, and can switch them as many times as you want, during the 30 day period. So, you could have a Blu Ray movie out, then take it back and get a PS3 game, then take back the PS3 game and get a Blu Ray movie, etc, etc.

This is an especially attractive deal if you also own a Xbox 360 or Nintendo Wii, cause you can also rent those games as well. This new rental plan is only going to be available during the summer, but if you don't cancel it, it will keep going, even though new people won't be able to sign up for it. So, if you really like it, don't cancel it.

I'm going to try it out for a month at least, see how it is. Basically, it will allow me to check out a bunch of Blu Ray movies, and get a quick taste of a few PS3 and Xbox 360 games I've been wanting to see. Perfect for those games that you would like to play for maybe a couple of hours, and then never play again.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It does sound like a great plan, but unfortunately EVERY time I go to blockbuster with a certain title in mind, they never have it lol. Prolly just my luck but still sucks.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevuda /forum/post/14201034

It does sound like a great plan, but unfortunately EVERY time I go to blockbuster with a certain title in mind, they never have it lol. Prolly just my luck but still sucks.

Yeah, whenever you have a plan like this, you can't really go into it looking for a specific movie or game. You basically just have to go the store and see what they happen to have. The good thing with this plan, is that you can check out alot of different shelves. I'll most likely go to the Blu Ray area first, and look for a Blu Ray movie I've been wanting, then check out the PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Worst case scenario, I could always rent a PS2 game for the kids.

There's alot of Blu Ray movies I haven't checked out yet, not the greatest movies mind you, but some that I wouldn't mind seeing on Blu Ray with this plan. And then theres lots of games that aren't the huge game of the month or anything, but games like Heavenly Sword (a game I still haven't played, other than the demo), or a game like the new Incredible Hulk game. Or I could get the Wall E game for the kids. Lots of options. It's really only a good deal to use it for one month, cause after the one month is over, you've pretty much cherry picked all the stuff you're really interested in.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Not just you. When Ace Combat 6 came out (actually several months after it did) I went to 4 area blockbusters multiple times over the course of about two weeks. NONE OF THEM EVER GOT IT IN!!

Finally just caved and bought it. Pretty good game, but I liked Ace Combat 5 best.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
New stuff comes out weekly?

Honestly, if I had a BB nearby I'd totally do this. Unfortunately, the nearest one is an hour away so I'm stuck with NetFlix + GameFly. Far more expensive than $22/month

·
Registered
719 Posts
Screw Blockbuster

Gamefly for the win

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Mojo Hand /forum/post/14201739

Screw Blockbuster

Gamefly for the win

On the coast, yeah- in the midwest there's basically a one-week turnaround when you send a game back.

·
Registered
Paradigm 800f, SVS PB2000 Pro
400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/14201909

On the coast, yeah- in the midwest there's basically a one-week turnaround when you send a game back.

True that!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i'm grandfathered into the old blockbuster online policy, so i can trade my mailed blu-rays in for store blu-rays, and get two free in store rentals of any movie or game every month. (if i had time) that could amount to two games and tens of movies every month. stupid employment...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevuda /forum/post/14201034

Nope its true to every blockbuster...they have the worst stock....what makes it worse is that they dont charge late fees so some kid will keep the game forever...

Nothing beats gamefly....btw gamefly just got another shipping center...they are growing rapidly

I never waited more than 2 days for a game

·
Registered
343 Posts
yeah my blockbuster never has a damn thing in ..

Gamefly to the rescue.

not to mention I keep/buy half the games I rent for like 20 bucks.

Actually the last 3 ps3 games I got from gamefly I kept, and I paid for those 3 what ONE brand new ps3 game costs. (Timeshift, The Club, and Haze)

Plus I swear man, every and I mean EVERY time I get a game from GF it looks like Im the FIRST one to play it.. PRESTINE and clean discs every time.

That alone entices me to keep em.

BBusta can join hollywood video for all i care

·
Registered
7,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1010 /forum/post/14202162

i'm grandfathered into the old blockbuster online policy, so i can trade my mailed blu-rays in for store blu-rays, and get two free in store rentals of any movie or game every month. (if i had time) that could amount to two games and tens of movies every month. stupid employment...

Me too. I don't even LOOK at the new options online in fear that I might get suckered into them. It's freakin' awesome.

Helps too that my Blockbuster is only 1/4 mile away.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 /forum/post/14202296

Nothing beats gamefly....btw gamefly just got another shipping center...they are growing rapidly

The one in Austin? Great for Texas, bad for Minnesota. I'm not going back until I get Netflix-quality service/delivery.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've been a BB online customer for about a year and a half, so I'm getting the "2 out at a time, unlimited trade-ins, one free game/movie coupon/month" deal for $17. But for some reason BB mysteriously "loses" my credit card info every few months so I have to go in and put in the same damn info. Is this an attempt to expire me so I would have to sign up with the new terms (limited trade-ins, no coupons?).

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I guess I'm the inevitable buzz kill, but $21.99 for what you describe doesn't sound like a deal to me.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1010 /forum/post/14202162

So true....every time I look at the new BB online plans I cringe because of how crappy and expensive they are compared to what I'm getting. Sometimes I feel like canceling and taking a break from the $20 a month during movie dry spells, but I know I'll never get a deal like this again, so I keep up with it.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/14201909

Not in my part of the Midwest. Two day turn around. Of course I ship out of Pitts PA warehouse now, Before when they only had the west coast shipping center it was a one week turn around.

The Blockbuster deal would be good. IF Blockbuster had not just closed all the stores in a 10 mile radius of my home. I'll stick with Game fly.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Yeah, that's the downside to GF...being in IA I sent a game back today. To the CA warehouse.

They'll get it next Monday or Tuesday and send me a new one, hopefully I'm playing Paradise by the 11th

1 - 20 of 65 Posts