AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,110 Posts
If it's not compatible with current BD players, it will fail. Plain and simple.


There is no need for a special format like there was with DVD. BD video already supports high sample rates and bit depths. If they could just use the existing format to store music (as they are doing with releases from Nine Inch Nails and Neil Young), it has a chance to carve out a niche.


On the other hand, if it's a whole new format, it will need new players that will get limited support from the mainstream manufacturers, which will lead to limited record label support, and so on until it dies.


Then again, I have a feeling this must have some stronger form of copy protection. It's the only possible reason they could be considering it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl /forum/post/15502530


There is no need for a special format like there was with DVD. BD video already supports high sample rates and bit depths. If they could just use the existing format to store music (as they are doing with releases from Nine Inch Nails and Neil Young), it has a chance to carve out a niche.

That's what I was thinking. Them talking about playing this "new" format through a 192kHz/24-bit DAC, as if it is a novel idea, especially made me wonder what makes it so special and outside of current BD specifications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,268 Posts
What's the point? The blu-ray spec is perfectly capable of handling 24/192 lossless audio. Not to mention that 99.9% of listeners are perfectly satisfied with CD quality audio, and the other 0.1% are merely imagining that they hear a difference
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 /forum/post/15504408


What's the point? The blu-ray spec is perfectly capable of handling 24/192 lossless audio. Not to mention that 99.9% of listeners are perfectly satisfied with CD quality audio, and the other 0.1% are merely imagining that they hear a difference

Yup, just like those of us imaging the difference in picture quality from dvd to blu-ray. I feel so hosed Johnny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
This is a stupid idea. Why do these companies always seem to think that what consumers are craving is another one company solution. If they want an audio only solution they should help push the 3.0 BD spec so it will work with every ones stuff.


My understanding is this is only stereo as well. That might make the tube huggers happy but they probably have a turn table they would rather use. This is going no where and I hope they loose a bunch of money on it for coming up with another dumb arse proprietary solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey /forum/post/15504469


Yup, just like those of us imaging the difference in picture quality from dvd to blu-ray. I feel so hosed Johnny

I disagree though. I think the difference between SD and HD picture is much easier to see than the difference between CD and DVD-Audio/SACD is to hear (multichannel aside). That's one reason I never bought into the comparison between the HD movie formats and the high resolution audio formats.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top