AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 941 Posts

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #541 ·
I don't intend to replace the drivers. The tweeter is very smooth and robust. It doesn't have as wide horizontal dispersion as the B1's AMT, but it can be crossed lower. In stock form, I do prefer the DCM despite the greater sense of spaciousness you get with the B1 AMT.
The more I listen, the more I am liking the DCM tweeter -- and the speaker period.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The more I listen, the more I am liking the DCM tweeter
Yup. The tweeter is fine. Not bright at all, IMO. I don't EQ mid/high end on them at all. Just a little EQ on the low end to smooth out the bass.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
Yup. The tweeter is fine. Not bright at all, IMO. I don't EQ mid/high end on them at all. Just a little EQ on the low end to smooth out the bass.
I tend to not EQ above 200 hz -- and I do not want to stress the speakers at their crossover point

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I don't intend to replace the drivers. The tweeter is very smooth and robust. It doesn't have as wide horizontal dispersion as the B1's AMT, but it can be crossed lower. In stock form, I do prefer the DCM despite the greater sense of spaciousness you get with the B1 AMT. The B1 just doesn't have enough baffle step compensation, with a resulting peak in the 800 Hz - 1500 Hz region. The result is that murky, veiled sound in the upper midrange that obscures detail. It's not horrible, but the midrange and lower treble are no match for the DCM's. All I'm going to do to the B1's is rework the crossover to recover the needed detail. At that point, it should be the better speaker, but probably not by much.
i was thinking that the reason you thought they might be better after crossover work(the b1's) was that maybe they had slightly better drivers, i didn't articulate very well i guess:eek:

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Did anyone get the matching TP160C center?

Wondering if it's engineered on par with the monitors... since often times, budget centers... well, kinda suck...

Things like crossover design/horizontal dispersion, and cabinet tuning for the most likely placement, often seem to be ignored in budget designs... with the end result being a horizontal speaker with crap horizontal off-axis response and overly muddy/boomy upper bass/lower mids.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #546 ·

Wondering if it's engineered on par with the monitors... since often times, budget centers... well, kinda suck...

Things like crossover design/horizontal dispersion, and cabinet tuning for the most likely placement, often seem to be ignored in budget designs... with the end result being a horizontal speaker with crap horizontal off-axis response and overly muddy/boomy upper bass/lower mids.
Glad to see that you are still alive -- do not of know of anyone who has bought the center yet -- one of the woofers is a passive radiator

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Glad to see that you are still alive -- do not of know of anyone who has bought the center yet -- one of the woofers is a passive radiator
Yeah still kickin... I browse the forums from time to time, but have been off the merry-go-round for awhile.

Figured I'm due for another ride...

Good point on one of the woofers being passive - so no lobing due to the woofers, only perhaps cancellations around the xover between the woofer/tweeter

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

I'm receiving the bookshelves soon , if i like what i hear I'll be ordering the towers/center for my sister 🙂 I'll keep you guys posted

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
So I took these babies apart. I wedged in three horizontal braces and one vertical - on one, I messed up and accidentally made one dowel too short. I also, wrapped the port with non-drying clay and also put some on the metal spider baskets of the woofers.

So Pete, this is where "your" missing bass is. (The specs say 55Hz but no + or -, so there is that.) These cabinets transmit so much energy despite being almost an inch thick! Most of that 120 Hz resonance that I heard (the 140hz bump in suprolla's measurements) is gone. Though as I can still feel some vibrations coming off the cabinets at louder levels, I can still hear the resonance a bit at higher listening levels. These puppies do have a lot of bass but despite those thick walls, I question its material. I can even feel more vibration coming from the cabinet that doesn't have the vertical brace!

Also, interestingly, the high frequencies seem far more forward than before, which unfortunately, I don't prefer.

I highly recommend that you dampen - or better yet, replace - these cabinets. What crap.

Sorry about the out-of-focus photo, but you get the picture. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 ·
As the Audio World Turns.:):) -- The cabinets are fine for me -- the bass is fine for me, with no real EQ -- the mids are fine for me -- even the highs are fine for me. ... even someone else in another forum who plays in a band and is a critical listener, enjoys these speakers. .... as in all things audio some may not like them, but there is a speaker out there that one can find and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
As the Audio World Turns.:):) -- The cabinets are fine for me -- the bass is fine for me, with no real EQ -- the mids are fine for me -- even the highs are fine for me. ... even someone else in another forum who plays in a band and is a critical listener, enjoys these speakers. .... as in all things audio some may not like them, but there is a speaker out there that one can find and enjoy.

I didn't say the loudspeakers were bad, just saying that at loud volumes, there is SO much more bass to be had from these speakers. The cabinets vibrate like crazy (just put your hands on them while they're playing) and absorb tons of bass and resonant. Even the Parts Express curved cabinets don't vibrate at all for a cheap price - though I don't think they make them anymore.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
I didn't say the loudspeakers were bad, just saying that at loud volumes, there is SO much more bass to be had from these speakers. The cabinets vibrate like crazy (just put your hands on them while they're playing) and absorb tons of bass and resonant. Even the Parts Express curved cabinets don't vibrate at all for a cheap price - though I don't think they make them anymore.
I have done the door-knock test and put my hands on them, and there are many speakers, even more expensive ones that are hollow, more resonant, and vibrate more -- the woofer for me has good excursion, and I am thankful that I get the bass I hear, and I hear some bass notes at 55 hz... the speakers are not voiced for the bass to stand out, and I for sure do not want heavy one note bass that a lot of budget speakers give .... and it is not easy to localize bass below 200 hz because of room modes and floor bounce. .... Have a good night, continue to enjoy the hobby.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have done the door-knock test and put my hands on them, and there are many speakers, even more expensive ones that are hollow, more resonant, and vibrate more -- the woofer for me has good excursion, and I am thankful that I get the bass I hear, and I hear some bass notes at 55 hz... the speakers are not voiced for the bass to stand out, and I for sure do not want heavy one note bass that a lot of budget speakers give .... and it is not easy to localize bass below 200 hz because of room modes and floor bounce. .... Have a good night, continue to enjoy the hobby.

Just because more expensive ones do it too, still doesn't make the cabinets good. I think you've seen that Andrew Jones video where he talks about speaker designers have to compromise at price points. I get that a $250/350 speaker like this can't have inert cabinets and Accuton drivers inside of them. As I've said earlier, they're great speakers for a measly $80. I'm just saying that these puppies put out a lot of vibrations that are not part of the music and was just showing people that in a couple hours for a few dollars more, you can make these a much better pair of musical speakers by reducing the amount of noise (not in the original recordings) emitted by the cabinets.

·
Registered
26 Posts

12 have sold, so maybe somebody on here was one of the buyers and can comment...

I'm using a TP160S on its side, and really liking it! It resolves more detail, and male voices are more natural than the Boston CS225C it replaced.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
So Pete, this is where "your" missing bass is. (The specs say 55Hz but no + or -, so there is that.)
Actually, the specs say 45 Hz.

I am planning to have mine crossed over to the sub at around 80 Hz, so the lack of low end shouldn't be too much of an issue. If 80 Hz sounds bad, I can try 100 or 120 Hz, I guess.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hooked up the TP160s last night and i'm really impressed with the sound-stage and imaging. Bass is a little lacking (for a 6 1/2") but the driver is incredibly stiff and may need a little break-in time to loosen up(or a bigger amp).
They are being driven by yamaha a-s501 (85w RMS @8 ohms 0.019% THD). They seem to work really really well for near-field

Reactions: zieglj01

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hooked up the TP160s last night and i'm really impressed with the sound-stage and imaging.
Agree 100%!

I hooked up a new Firestick with coax digital audio from TV to AVR, and inadvertently watched an entire movie in 2ch stereo! :rolleyes: But it was NOT a bad experience at all!!:D

I knew we weren't getting much/any surround since those speakers are right in our ears. But thought it might be the source.

Point is the L&R speakers portrayed the front soundstage so well, that I didn't realize the center and heights weren't playing. (When I finally checked the AVR, I put my hand in front of the center because I couldn't believe it was actually in 2ch stereo.)

Don't get me wrong, I knew something wasn't quite right. But they sounded so good that I didn't care to check until the first movie was over and we started the second. Unreal!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Good one. Listening to it now.

Here is another one I like to play when trying out new speakers:

541 - 560 of 941 Posts