AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

So, originally I thought I had a budget in the $3-4.5k range and had my screen and PJ pretty much nailed down. Well, I recently had to scale my budget back for reasons I won't go into and now I'm hoping to find something decent at $1,000 or less (preferably less).

My room is basement, no windows (lighting control). The room is approximately 12' x 15'2", 8' celings. The layout of the room means the viewing screen will most likely be on the 12' wall. I'm thinking a screen size in the 90" +/-. Maybe up to 103"?

The room is used for mostly movies, some gaming maybe, and possibly a football game here and there. I'd like 1080p, but not sure if my budget will allow that.

Looking at BB right now, they have the Optoma HD65 on sale and am considering that one (although haven't seen a demo yet).

On Craigslist there is a Optoma EP1690 DLP in my range, but from what I've read not sure this would be the best choice for HT/Gaming.

Does anyone have any input on these projectors I've listed, or any other options? I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I just ordered an optoma HD20 1080p for $999!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would recommend the BenQ MP624 such it is more of an overall all purpose projector. And it supports 1080i, although comes with a native res. of 1024x768 (4:3), it still offers much more contrast (2500:1) than the optoma that 'deez' recommended. It also has HDMI input. However if you'd want to go straight with home theater you should check out the BenQ W500 as well!

That's my suggestion, hope it helps = )

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I definitely disagree with the Benq. Why would you want a 4:3 low res projector? Manufactuere contrast ratings of business projectors means nothing. The only problem with the 1690 is it's 2x color wheel so if you are suseptible to rainbows do not get it.

My advice: wait for all the new projectors to come out in September. The HD20 has already broken the 1080p price barrier and it's 500:1 contrast ratio is ANSI contrast and that is very good. On/off contrast is 4000:1.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info all. I guess I didn't realize new projectors were coming out in a month or so. I think I just may wait and see what September brings. I know I'd regret settling for something now only to find out something better for marginal price difference was only a month away

I'll do my best to wait 'patiently'

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21 /forum/post/16939515

I would recommend the BenQ MP624 such it is more of an overall all purpose projector. And it supports 1080i, although comes with a native res. of 1024x768 (4:3), it still offers much more contrast (2500:1) than the optoma that 'deez' recommended. It also has HDMI input. However if you'd want to go straight with home theater you should check out the BenQ W500 as well!

That's my suggestion, hope it helps = )

For one, why would you go with an outdated model like what your recommending?

I didnt recommend anything I simply said I am getting one. I realize for 1k I'll have to live with average shadow detail and black level but if it was better it would be more. I wish some people here would do thier homework instead of just giving bad if not false advice to others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.