AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to correctly install Build 110. However, when it comes to the step "Looking for new software" on the nightly download it hangs, just like before.

It would seem that they should be able to easily test whether my unit has the most current build, and skip that step if not necessary.

This glitch ties up the unit indefinitely and the phone line as well. So using that timer to reboot it as I mentioned before is still necessary. Too bad -- I was hoping to get rid of it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It sounds like you are still dealing with the "modem hang" bug. I use broadband so I don't have any first hand experience with the modem issues but I do recall someone on this board saying they had an issue with the modem hanging or dropping the connection repeatedly and they then tried a different phone line in the house and the issue seemed to clear up.

You may want to give that a shot until the next software release hits. Of course, if you are hanging that makes it tough to get the next release when it hits unless you can tap into someone's broadband.

You may want to PM ReplayRichard or ReplayLyndon to see if they could lend a hand.

Good luck!

Judge

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, there have been several threads documenting the lingering hang problems with build 110. My solution is to leave the phone line unplugged and just force a connection (243 Zones) once a week. The system often hangs, sometimes as you noticed at "checking for new SW" but also at "updating Zone 17/17".

Hopefully when the new (Alcatraz) SW is done it will actually fix this bug! Getting it to download will be a chore but I figure with enough tries sooner or later it will complete.

BTW, I am not and have never had a MyRTV subscription. I also tried lowering the modem speed to no avail.

-Matt

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may give up on the subscription also. It would not let me resubscribe. Apparently it needs a service key, but does not let me put in more than 18 characters for the serial number, so I could not enter that.

So, to heck with it - -

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is this new Alcatraz software? Something developed by prison inmates?

Anyway, is that merely an extension of the same stuff from Sonic Blue, or is it an alternate package from another company? Would using it invalidate my warranty?

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
billsincl, assuming you are on the up and up... :)

All software releases have internal 'names' while under development. Names evaporate when released to the public. Alcatraz is the 5.1 software for 5000/5500s, currently in beta, and should be released 'soon'.

Of course, a search for Alcatraz would have found all that and more! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.