AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We are doing a new build, I have been searching and reading on the forums for a couple months now but at this point I wanted to discuss the whole design here and make sure what I am doing makes sense, and works!

I have five stereo zones (all will be in-ceiling speakers), a TV and a sound bar. For amp, I am considering a Russound MCA-66 with one XTS controller, and one MDK-C6 keypad. For soundbar I am looking at the sony HT-ST5000. Music sources will mainly be youtube via cell phone / tablet, and stored music on a NAS or a PC. Streaming music from other music services is not a priority now and I think I can add a Sonos Connect or similar to achieve that.

Now, to the questions:

- Is the Russound a good choice at all? Is it a solid, well built with reasonable performance?

- Can the Sony sound bar output audio to one of the Russound's inputs, independently, assuming I can run audio (RCA) wires between the two?

- Do I need a audio / video receiver at all? Won't the smart TV do the trick for us, given that I don't have plans to connect speakers to the TV? I am thinking a Yamaha RX-1080 or RX-V685 can be used to get the audio to the sound bar (zone 1) and to Russound (via Zone 2), but I am neither sure if I need it, nor if it works as I intend to use it in the second zone.

- Finally, any recommendations for the in-ceiling speakers? I already have 8.3" holes and metal mounts up there and I'd rather find something that fits there (our contractor is recommending Russound or Episode speakers and these will fit them I guess).

Thanks a lot,

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Bump!

Any thoughts?
If you are building new and will be streaming most of your music, I would avoid the whole keypad and Russound type system and do something "modern". See here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/2717361-modern-approach-whole-house-audio.html It's cheaper too. :)

There are many threads here from people who have adopted this approach and happy with the results, including the latest here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-h...4-need-help-50-speaker-home-audio-system.html

Thx
mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Mike, I have read that thread a few months back, I think I should take a look again and refresh myself.

How would you power the five zones? You'll need an amp of some kind. Five smart stereo amps would cost more I think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am leaning toward having the Russound amp and a smarter network receiver like a Sonos Connect or Yamaha WXC-50, which will sit a in a remote location. The Russound keypad / Controller will control what input goes to which zone, and maybe the volume.

I know Sonos has a big fan base every where, has any one had hands on both the Connect and the WXC-50? How do they compare with each other?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Thank you Mike, I have read that thread a few months back, I think I should take a look again and refresh myself.

How would you power the five zones? You'll need an amp of some kind. Five smart stereo amps would cost more I think.
A monoprice or dayton amp would work well, though I prefer used Crestron 16x60's for this sort of thing. :)

I think you really should avoid the keypad approach which ends up with 2 sources of volume control. Streams coming from a smartphone app have natural volume control from the phone. Having the keypad also controlling volume leads to a lot of issues. If you go that route, you need to disable volume management on the phone/tablet, and only control volume by the keypad.

Thx
mike

·
Registered
240 Posts
Seems to be very mixed opinions here on keypads, but I happen to be in favor of them.

I really like the Nuvo Player Portfolio series system; the keypads are PoE and have play/pause, mute, and transport controls, as well as a favorites button. You can have up to 4 keypads per zone. You can activate or mute all zones from a single keypad. I’ve always liked being able to press one button and have music come on versus getting my phone out.

Their amps have a line-in for each zone, as well as several streaming services built-in.

I mention the Nuvo specifically because they also have a soundbar with a wireless sub that also acts as a zone within the system, and can utilize a keypad control as well.

The base model for you would be the P3100 3-zone system at 40w per zone. The P3500 is 100w per zone.

The keypads are P-10 & P-20. The soundbar is a P-500.

Nuvo also offers the P-30 7” touchscreen controller; it’s a Nuvo branded android tablet that mounts to the wall, and connects via PoE.

Edit to add.... you can play music directly from your phone, but Nuvo doesn’t support Apple Music subscription songs; they have to be purchased through iTunes. They support Spotify, but that is controlled via the Spotify app and not the Nuvo app. These are my two biggest complaints about it.

Amazon music seems to be a popular service now also, and they do not support that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts