AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all those that provided feedback.

Here is a breakdown of what I proposed:

Ram: (2) G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Case: SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel LC13B-E ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

Video Card: XFX GS250XZDFC GeForce GTS 250 1GB Core Edition 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

PS: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

HDD: (4 in RAID 5) Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit (w/ free windows 7 upgrade)

CPU Fan: Zalman

This is what I ended up building:

CPU: Intel Q9550 Quad Core 2.83ghz - 169$ Microcenter

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mini Ninja - 39$ Microcenter

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - 114$ Newegg

PS: Cosair TX750 - 99$ Newegg

RAM: OCZ Gold 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 - 49$ Newegg

Video Card: PNY GTX 275 - 199$ Microcenter

Case: Silverstone LC17-B - 109$ Newegg

HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500GB SATA - 54$ Newegg

ROM: Pioneer BR-ROM - 120$ Microcenter

Total - 1061$

Additional Plans:

Replace 2 case 80mm Fans

Replace Scythe Mini Ninja 80mm fan

Add 1 additional 92mm case fan

Add 4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM

Add 3 1TB drives in a RAID 5 for media storage

I have it over clocked to 3.44ghz using the easytuner 6 app provided by Gigabyte with the MOBO and running at an idle temp of ~36c with a max that i have seen under 95% load of ~47c

Again thanks to everyone who contributed, I love this rig!!!

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Dual-Core CPU ain't enough for gaming anymore. If you stay Intel you should go at least quad core which is becoming almost mandatory (Dragon Age will be Quad Qore suggested setup, so there you go). AMD is also a good way to go now if you want to stay cheap (I forget which ones).

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Dave is right dual core is not going to cut it for gaming. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115131 this is close to the same price and will work great.

I have that same mobo in my HTPC and it a great choice.

Depending on you res you want to play at (assuming at least 720p) your GPU may not be the greatest pick. You can get a 275 or 260 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150387 )

( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150361 with free shipping) for pretty cheap right now and they will be able to handle the higher res's much better. 256mb ram on a vid card is pushing it.

Also depending on which zalman cooler you get it may not fit in the case you picked. You would be better off getting a scythe mini ninja, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185046

it will fit in most, if not all HTPC cases.

Everything else looks fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great thanks for the advice!

I don't to to much hardcore gaming but do want it to be able to handle future games for a while at medium to high res.

I will mostly be looking forward to playing the new SE MMO!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just to let you know, that C2D processor you had in your original post would work great for gaming for a few years to come. Most games are much more dependent on the computer's video card than the CPU. An exception to that rule is the Source games (Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead, etc...) They depend much more on the CPU, but they scale well to lower system specs also.

I have a E6750 Dual Core (slower clock than the E8400) and a 9800GT video card (lower spec than the GTS250 you posted), and I run games with no problem whatsoever at 1680x1050 resolution.

·
Registered
302 Posts
512MB of vmem is *needed*, with 1GB suggested. Games are getting really high res textures lately and it is only going to get worse. I know this is a bad example, but GTA IV on the PC at 1080p with everything set to very high uses over 1300MB of video memory.

But that GTX275 suggested a couple posts ago would be a very nice choice

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
cplcarlman- but he's buying NOW. There's really no point in not buying at least a Quad-core setup. As someone who just upgraded, from 3yrs of using an overclocked dual-core to a quad-core, there really is no reason not to. If he lives by a Microcenter and is going to self-assemble you can pick up a Q9550

for $169.99. They have other deals like that (unfortunately they're in-store only).

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/16943357

cplcarlman- but he's buying NOW. There's really no point in not buying at least a Quad-core setup. As someone who just upgraded, from 3yrs of using an overclocked dual-core to a quad-core, there really is no reason not to. If he lives by a Microcenter and is going to self-assemble you can pick up a Q9550

for $169.99. They have other deals like that (unfortunately they're in-store only).

All I was saying was that a Core2Duo processor (Especially a 3.0 Ghz one) will be perfectly ample to run games for the the next few years.

I play a lot of TF2, and they recently released a multi-core patch for it. Previously, TF2 ran only using one of my E6750 cores. After the patch, there is very little difference between the game running on both cores, rather than just one. Never mind the fact that TF2 is a source game that is very CPU dependent.

To say that "That dual core won't cut if for games" is a big mis-statement.

By the time that dual-core is obsolete, there will be something new out that will require a motherboard change (new graphics slot, new type of ram, new CPU socket).

If he wants to get a quad-core, that's great, but don't throw the Core2Duo line out just yet.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplcarlman /forum/post/16943925

I did not say that. What I said was the newer games pretty much require it. Dragon Age will be the game to play come Oct, and it's suggested CPU is a Quad. Now they don't say what kind of Quad, they're cheap enough- as I noted. A Q9550 with a 12MB cache for $170 is a killer deal, and there's no point in not getting one and o/c it to 3.4GHz (that's what I'm doing). They should all pretty much be stable at that speed.

But if you want to buy a dual-core just to save $30 or $40, go right ahead. But really, is it worth it in the longterm?

·
Registered
8,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplcarlman /forum/post/16943925

All I was saying was that a Core2Duo processor (Especially a 3.0 Ghz one) will be perfectly ample to run games for the the next few years.

I play a lot of TF2, and they recently released a multi-core patch for it. Previously, TF2 ran only using one of my E6750 cores. After the patch, there is very little difference between the game running on both cores, rather than just one. Never mind the fact that TF2 is a source game that is very CPU dependent.

By the time that dual-core is obsolete, there will be something new out that will require a motherboard change (new graphics slot, new type of ram, new CPU socket).

If he wants to get a quad-core, that's great, but don't throw the Core2Duo line out just yet.

TF2 is not a demanding game, try some GTA 4 at your res with your chip, then throw in a quad and get back to me. Better yet, grab a i7 and really have yourself some fun

·
Registered
19,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/16944104

TF2 is not a demanding game, try some GTA 4 at your res with your chip, then throw in a quad and get back to me. Better yet, grab a i7 and really have yourself some fun

That might be a better idea, although that will cost even more. Had I done it before my motherboard died I would have gone i7. I believe Microcenter has i7s for ~$200, but they are even harder to get the hard to get $170 Q9550.

Of course you'll need a different motherboard and ram too.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/16944104

I understand that TF2 is not that demanding a game. What it is however, is a game that is "CPU bound." It doesn't matter how good a video card you have, if you have a crappy CPU, TF2 won't work very good. Because of the Source engine's propensity to be highly affected by the CPU, I used that game as an example. I play all kinds of games on my current computer including: Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty: World at War, Bioshock, Company of Heroes, UT3, and others. My CPU works great for all those games.

I understand that the future will be using more and more cores because manufacturers are approaching the limits of what they can do with silicon-based individual CPU's. Intel and AMD have some 6 and 8 core CPU's that will be coming out in the future as well. However, right now dual-core CPU's are perfectly viable for current games as well as games in the near future. Following your logic, you should have recommended a Core i7 system for him. Some people consider the Core2Quad line of CPU's to be just as obsolete as you consider the Core2Duo line to be.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is what I ended up going with:

Case: Silverstone LC17-B

PS: Antec 650W Earthenwatts

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

CPU: Intel Q9550

CPU Cooler: Mini Ninja

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 275

RAM: 4GB DDR2 1066 (will add another 4GB later)

HDD: (1) Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" (will add 3 later in a raid 5)

I also plan to add some additional fans to the case, and replace the stock ones to get the most air flow and as quiet as possible.

I cant wait! I will let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats the plan!

Although I have never overclocked anything... however, this is the third PC I have built.

I have been over at overclocker forum reading about how to do it.

Any suggested reading or advice?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
That is if you can find someone actually still selling them since they're screwed up. Least here is a thread where someone listened and got the right parts. Congrats on the new pc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts