AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm getting serious enough (or crazy enough) to try my hand at building an HTPC. I'm reasonably experienced with upgrading pretty much everything, but I've never built from scratch, and honestly I haven't shopped for components for probably 5 years. So can I get a sanity check on my plan from you guys that know way more than I do?

I'm basically building it to be a media hub and DVR replacement. No serious gaming, but I don't want to rule it out someday. I'll probably build it in stages. The first stage will replace one DVR with a dual QAM tuner card. If that goes well, I'll later add in a ceton InfiniTV, and eventually an xbox or two as media extenders to replace the other DVRs and cable boxes.

Here's what I'm looking at...
  • nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 6000B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
  • APEX AL-D500EXP 500W ATX12V Power Supply
  • ASUS P7H55-M/CSM LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3540
  • G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ
  • AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner (A188 - White Box) MTVHDDUWB PCI-Express x1 Interface
  • SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222L
  • AVS Gear GP-IR01BK Windows Vista Infrared MCE Black Remote Control
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

How does that look? Am I missing anything? Anything underpowered or overkill. The power supply is probably more than I need, but I want to be prepared if I eventually beef it up with more hard drives or add a graphics card for some mid-range gaming.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give me. I've been boning up on everything lately, but I've got a lot more to learn. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/19593347

The power supply choice is actually pretty awful. You're better off getting a lower wattage good quality PSU such as the Antec EarthWatts EA-380D instead of that Apex.

Is it that bad? The power supply was where I'm particularly clueless
... I was kinda rolling the dice and following the newegg reviews and some power supply suggesting tool I found somewhere (which I should've bookmarked). But that Antec that you suggested is actually a lot more of what I thought I should be looking for. I must've just been filtering out the lower wattage units. But if I can get by with 380w, that's probably a winner.

Thanks for the input!! Keep the advice coming!

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Yes. It's that bad . Besides, given you have a pretty low power CPU, you should easily be able to go up to HD 6850 with no problem. Heck, assuming you don't load up on a bunch of hard drives, I reckon you could go up to HD 5870. I just don't like running my power supplies close to the limit.

By the way, here's what I usually use for power supply sizing:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, yep, that's bad. I'll go with the Antec unless somebody else talks me out of it

Everything else look reasonable? I've got some use it or lose it time off that I've got to take by the 17th, so if I want to use that time to tinker, I'll probably be ordering parts in a couple days.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I noticed that. I'm sure I've got a few of those squirreled away somewhere.

Thanks for the input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.