AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a long time lurker and joined a couple years ago. I enjoy reading on everyone's build and the plethora of information. I mainly have been researching and have finally got to build my HT. The room has decoupled walls and spray foam/fiberglass combo insulation. The dimensions are 12.5' W x 19.5' L x 9' H. The entrance is in the right rear at landing of the stairs. I plan to keep that height (16.5") for the riser. My plan is a 125" 2.35:1 AT screen and a panny 8000 in a column in the rear wall. I am also planning on a screen wall to be 2' or so from the front wall. I was thinking of building a decoupled stage but am looking for suggestions. I could also use suggestions on soffit and column sizes as well as acoustic treatments. I know to completely cover every thing behind the screen wall and other walls just above ear level, but thats where I run out of knowledge. I am looking for any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses

·
Premium Member
17,088 Posts
I am looking for any suggestions or ideas.
First suggestion is to post a sketch of your room. Use sketchup, visio, powerpoint, mspaint, anything. Your description is probably clear to you, but it helps the rest of us "see" what you're describing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also should ad that I am running an Onkyo 609 with Klipsch Icon bookshelfs and center channel and 2 12" rwd subs. Going to be upgrading to an oppo 103d when the theater is complete.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My plan is to build a stage out of 2x4's for an overall height of 8". I was thinking of making it 4' deep to be 2' in front of the screen wall. It would be decoupled from walls by 1" and attached to the concrete floor by 2x4's on end at the corners and 4 more evenly spaced in the middle. I would then fill the void with fiberglass insulation and top it off with 1/2" OSB and GG topped with 3/4" OSB. Also the concrete floor has radiant heat and everything will be cover with 1/2" memory foam pad and black 1/2" carpet. Does anyone have any additional ideas or concerns???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the rear riser I am thinking of 2x6" framing 16" oc with an overall height of 16.5" to match the landing of the entrance at the right rear of the room. I would use the same principals as th stage and stay away from the walls bay 1" and have 2x4" supports on end at the corners and evenly spaced in the middle. Next layer 1/2" OSB, GG, 3/4" OSB, pad, and carpet. I was wondering if using MDF would be beneficial or not? I am also going to be cutting slots along the rear and side walls for acoustic diffusers. How much space should I fill with fiberglass??? Thanks for any and all responses.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
My plan is to build a stage out of 2x4's for an overall height of 8". I was thinking of making it 4' deep to be 2' in front of the screen wall. It would be decoupled from walls by 1" and attached to the concrete floor by 2x4's on end at the corners and 4 more evenly spaced in the middle. I would then fill the void with fiberglass insulation and top it off with 1/2" OSB and GG topped with 3/4" OSB. Also the concrete floor has radiant heat and everything will be cover with 1/2" memory foam pad and black 1/2" carpet. Does anyone have any additional ideas or concerns???
You don't need to go that far off walls. 1/2 inch is fine. Why r u attaching the stage to the concrete floor?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, 1/2" is fine. I'm only attaching to the floor like table legs with minimal contact for support to the concrete floor so I am able to walk on the stage to put filler panels on the screen wall when switching from 16:9 to 2.35:1.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Okay, 1/2" is fine. I'm only attaching to the floor like table legs with minimal contact for support to the concrete floor so I am able to walk on the stage to put filler panels on the screen wall when switching from 16:9 to 2.35:1.
why couldn't you walk on it if not attached to floor?

also just throwing it out there. i put 3/8 inch think rubber mat under my stage to decrease contact with floor and but strips the width of my framing for the riser as to not use as much.

this was recommended by a very knowledgable board member.

also why not filling the stage with sand? i know this debate has been coming up more lately. people have their opinion on it which is great. what makes this place great imo. i went with sand just cause i didn't feel like researching it and went with past practice. lol

jimi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm seeing what you're saying now. I will just have 8 legs like a table only not attached, just resting on rubber. My mind is spinning circles with being the plumber, electrician, carpenter and GC for my addition mixed with the overwhelming amount of info on the forum. For filling th stage with sand, I'm still undecided. I've only got a couple more days to make up my mind though, I want the carpet put in this weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts