AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a house that has a projector set up with a 100 inch screen. I'm used to Plasma's so i'm used to brighter colors. The colors have never popped on the projector. The projector is a lower grade Optoma, I can't find a model number anywhere but i'm guessing it's a HD20 based upon pictures. It's probably a 2011 model. I looked in the settings and found that the bulb has nearly 1900 hours on it. From what I understand that is a lot of hours, would I be better of replacing the bulb or just buying a better projector? If I understand correctly, bulbs can be around $400? I use the projector for nearly all of my tv watching which includes a lot of sports as well as video games. I'd probably like to be under $2k, are there models at that price point that would be a real improvement? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
If it truly is an HD20 that was the go to entry level 1080p projector a few years ago. A bare ORSAM bulb most likely is under a $100. Something like a BenQ 1070 would be some what of an improvement for around $700 and give you 3D. How is your room, if its all white or light reflective color that's the reason for the washed out colors. I believe the bulb was rated for 2000 hrs in standard and 3000 in echo. No projector will pop like a plasma if ambient and reflective light aren't under control.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, my room is fairly good but not up to par with what some people on here have. The walls are green and there is a window fairly close to the screen. I have a black out that I haven't installed yet. I'm really judging when it's completely dark out. I understand that it won't ever look a plasma but I wouldn't mind a little more brightness. Would getting something around $2k get me closer to that or it just a waste? I think I'd have to unmount my unit to tell what it is as I believe the mount is covering where it says what model it is. If the bulb is really only $100 maybe I should just go that route?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Thanks for the response, my room is fairly good but not up to par with what some people on here have. The walls are green and there is a window fairly close to the screen. I have a black out that I haven't installed yet. I'm really judging when it's completely dark out. I understand that it won't ever look a plasma but I wouldn't mind a little more brightness. Would getting something around $2k get me closer to that or it just a waste? I think I'd have to unmount my unit to tell what it is as I believe the mount is covering where it says what model it is. If the bulb is really only $100 maybe I should just go that route?
There are all different shades of green. If it is a dark green and the ceiling is also a dark color, then the room should be fine at night. If by "green" you mean "seafoam", then it might as well be white.

Before replacing the lamp, I would buy the Disney "WoW" bluray disc and do a basic calibration. Having brightness, contrast, and color misadjusted can make even a good lamp produce a washed out and lifeless image. A new lamp will help a dim picture, but in a dark room even a lamp on its last legs should have good color and contrast on a 100" screen. If it looks dim but otherwise great after calibration, then a new lamp is called for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts