AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been tweaking my Pioneer KRP-500m display since I got it from a local seller in the Los Angeles area about a month ago. I bought an Eye One Pro spectrophotometer and I also have an i1 Display 2 meter. I have patched it and have the ISF Day, Night and Auto modes enabled and I want to calibrate them as precisely as I can. I am using ColorHCFR software.

I have a few important questions.

1. I know that plasmas have an APL which limits light output as the amount of white in the image increases. But how do I calibrate gamma and grayscale? I am using the AVS 709 disc. Should I be using the APL patterns for grayscale and gamma (and color for the matter)? Will this make a big difference compared to using regular, larger windows? Should I use the large APL windows or the small APL windows? Should I be concerned if my results (grayscale and gamma) are significantly different on the three different patterns (one window and two apl)?

2. When calibrating color, should I use 75% windows or 100% windows? I believe there is an APL pattern for color as well on the AVS 709 disc. Should I use this or the windows?

3. For those who have a Pioneer Kuro, what is the "drive mode" and how does it relate to the "pure cinema" mode? I want the smoothest and most natural motion for 24fps blu rays and I want the best, smoothest motion and best picture quality for Directv content and videogames. Which combination of drive mode and pure cinema should I be using?

Those are all the questions I can think of at this time. I might add more as I get deeper into this calibration. If anyone can help me at all, I would appreciate it. This stuff can be pretty confusing, even for someone with a little experience like myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
1. I personally get good calibrations from using the regular windows (color/gray in middle and black all around) or APL. My current calibration using my Colormunki spectro I just used regular windows from the AVS HD709 disc.

2. I used the 100% color, but some like calibrating with 75% color. Some TV's may track better with the 75% patterns vs the 100%. I just chose 100% and then did a saturation sweep which checks 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% on all colors and it came out pretty good. Again, your mileage will vary but I just prefer to use regular windows on my plasma's.

BTW, the advice Michael gave you on the other forum is as good as you are going to get from an expert.

The pro signal generator's that pro calibrator's use (like the accupel) to my knowledge just use regular windows, don't think they even have APL patterns.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The Video Forge and Accupel 5000 can both do APL patterns. However, it's a new thing, and when the Kuros were current APL windows were nowhere to be had except on the AVS 709 disc.

Go with standard, smallish windows to calibrate the Kuro. Too big and you'll run into APL issues especially in ISF Day mode.

Do not adjust CMS. The 500m doesn't need it and it has bad side effects.

Probably won't even need to adjust the 10 pt; it's steps are coarse and you can do more harm than good. I have adjusted the 10 point on occasion, but ordinarily it doesn't need it if you choose a good gamma preset.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B  /t/1470907/new-calibration-attempt-pioneer-kuro-krp-500m-plasma-please-assist#post_23269126

The Video Forge and Accupel 5000 can both do APL patterns. However, it's a new thing, and when the Kuros were current APL windows were nowhere to be had except on the AVS 709 disc.

Go with standard, smallish windows to calibrate the Kuro. Too big and you'll run into APL issues especially in ISF Day mode.

Do not adjust CMS. The 500m doesn't need it and it has bad side effects.

Probably won't even need to adjust the 10 pt; it's steps are coarse and you can do more harm than good. I have adjusted the 10 point on occasion, but ordinarily it doesn't need it if you choose a good gamma preset.

Thanks for the response. So you are saying that there is no advantage to using the APL patterns to calibrate the 500m? I think that the standard windows on the AVS 709 disc are perhaps too big. Since the APL windows are smaller, should I use those instead? Is there an ideal size window for calibrating the Kuros? I have read that THX uses 6.5% windows to come out to a gamma of 2.2.

On a different note, what is the peak light output you use for ISF Day and ISF Night modes?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Standard patterns versus APL ... why not just try it yourself and see. It will not take long or kill you to experiment.

Light output ... you need to understand the 3 steps for setting contrast and light output. Remember those ... I hope you do.

The final step is actually open ended because it will depend on you and your room.

Regards

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodefeld  /t/1470907/new-calibration-attempt-pioneer-kuro-krp-500m-plasma-please-assist#post_23267695

Hello,

I have been tweaking my Pioneer KRP-500m display since I got it from a local seller in the Los Angeles area about a month ago. I bought an Eye One Pro spectrophotometer and I also have an i1 Display 2 meter. I have patched it and have the ISF Day, Night and Auto modes enabled and I want to calibrate them as precisely as I can. I am using ColorHCFR software.

I have a few important questions.

1. I know that plasmas have an APL which limits light output as the amount of white in the image increases. But how do I calibrate gamma and grayscale? I am using the AVS 709 disc. Should I be using the APL patterns for grayscale and gamma (and color for the matter)? Will this make a big difference compared to using regular, larger windows? Should I use the large APL windows or the small APL windows? Should I be concerned if my results (grayscale and gamma) are significantly different on the three different patterns (one window and two apl)?

2. When calibrating color, should I use 75% windows or 100% windows? I believe there is an APL pattern for color as well on the AVS 709 disc. Should I use this or the windows?

3. For those who have a Pioneer Kuro, what is the "drive mode" and how does it relate to the "pure cinema" mode? I want the smoothest and most natural motion for 24fps blu rays and I want the best, smoothest motion and best picture quality for Directv content and videogames. Which combination of drive mode and pure cinema should I be using?

Those are all the questions I can think of at this time. I might add more as I get deeper into this calibration. If anyone can help me at all, I would appreciate it. This stuff can be pretty confusing, even for someone with a little experience like myself.

Thanks.

10% - 18% standard (non-apl) windows should work best for you, but I personally go with the 14% ones on avshd 709 as the gamma response comes out ruler flat and the image just looks right as a whole.

6.5% windows aren't bad, but I thought colour was a bit oversaturated using them. Still, might be more to your liking.

Just be aware though that graphs aren't the be all and end all of a calibration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts