AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All~

Let me start off by thanking you in advance for your help! Here is my dilemma, I am in the market for my first HD Camcorder. My budget is 700-1000. Internal storage isn't a big deal. Right now I am looking at the Sony HDR-CX350V. I would like the new Panny series but I need the camcorder by mid-April. I have a baby on the way and want it prior to his arrival. I like the idea of the Sony because it is available now and the stabilizer. Can somebody tell me the difference in the HDR-CX350V vs. the HDR-CX550V? Is it just the memory size and the zoom being different? The main use for the camcorder will be family events, parties, vacations etc. Since this is our first child, sporting events isn't anything we need to worry about for awhile. I am open to other vendors such as Canon or JVC if they are any good.

Again, thank you all so much for your help!

Josh

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the same mission as you, new baby end of april.

If cost is an issue the CX350 is fine. The CMOS sensor is smaller so the picture quality and low light won't be as good as the cx550. Other than the internal memory size it doesn't have 5.1 surround like the cx550 does, that doesn't matter to most people. The cx350 is a little smaller too overall which could be an advantage.

Really it's up to you. I got the cx550 for almost $1000, so take your pick and decide what's more important. For me I thought the low light performance was more important than ANY other feature or camera, and the 550s are the best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks so much. Congrats on the baby!

Where might I find the 550 for around $1000.00? I see it for 1199.99??

·
Registered
14 Posts
FWIW, I have the Canon HF11 which goes for way under $700 now. It works great, indoor and outdoor. It has 32 gig internal and I have a 4 gig card. Battery life is very good. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So not to get to far off topic, but is that really the only difference int he 550 vs 500? I am not too concerned with the Memory Stick Pro, because I will use the internal memory the majority of the time. I might have a stick in the bag as a backup.

I do see the 500V only has 32gb of memory. I think so as long as I can get my wife to buy off on the 550, I will just get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Crap, the wife just shot down spending $1000.00 on a camera... looks like I have to settle for the 500-700 range. Would the 500V be my best best in that range?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think so. I used one for 2 weeks before I returned it to wait for the 550. It's a really good camera and your best cost to benefit option for Sonys

My wife had the same reaction, but I've been talking about it for 3 months so she's used to the idea by now. I told her the 550 is better because you can record with the screen closed in case the doctor won't let us film the birth, I can set it in the corner of the room and stealth record it.

Butterfly and B&H have it for like 699 with free ship. Abe's of Maine have it for 699 plus another 15 off with coupon code loyalty15

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoley22 /forum/post/18316386

Well Crap, the wife just shot down spending $1000.00 on a camera... looks like I have to settle for the 500-700 range. Would the 500V be my best best in that range?

I have a 500V and am having no trouble fighting the natural urge to upgrade. The 550 has definite improvements but none that are critical to me. I also like the focal lengths better on the 500 (less wide angle and more telephoto in the main lens).

A quick list of differences just FYI (hopefully I won't forget any significant ones). There is a thread here about two months ago that does more detailed comparisons.

1. 550V more oriented towards wide-angle and thus has less distance reach, something many people seem to favor.

2. Twice the internal memory in the 550.

3. 550 has a viewfinder and some external jacks like microphone (for listening without disturbing others) missing in the 500.

4. 550 has a higher-res LCD (true but the 500 one is good, too).

5. 550 has manual adjustment ring at front left of cam - 500 at rear left, 550 generally felt to have the better ergonomics on this one.

6. 550 includes 24 Mbs bitrate recording (a great selling point but something I really wonder if most people need).

7. 550 can write files direct to an attached USB drive without a PC in the middle. Good for backups while on trips and the like.

8. 550 has more "manual controls" - a big selling point if you use them a lot, a non-issue for me.

9. 550 accepts Memory Stick Pro Duo and SDHD cards in auxiliary slot; 500 just the Sony chips.

10. As a consequence of some of the above, the 550 is a little bigger than the CX500V.

11. 550 may have some minor improvements to stabilization over the 500 (possibly in the area of filming while walking).

Generally, you're seeing Sony concentrating first on breakthroughs in low-light filming with low noise and stabilization (2009) and then adding in other features customers requested in 2010. So arguably anyone getting the 2009 cam has what they need if the emphasis was on the two items - that's the case for me, plus I prefer the focal length range on the CX500V as I do a lot of telephoto shots but don't want to lug a big telephoto lens around. As long as one of these cams matches your primary needs, you're good to go. If they had put the 2009 optics on the 2010 camcorder, I'd probably be considering upgrading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts