AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi,

I saw these on Canon's site. They are all flash based, and I am not very happy with the flagship HF-S10 only having a 10x optical zoom. However, the sensor size is 1/2.6.

We'll see -

Pam

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomEngineer /forum/post/15463153

Hi,

I saw these on Canon's site. They are all flash based, and I am not very happy with the flagship HF-S10 only having a 10x optical zoom. However, the sensor size is 1/2.6.

We'll see -

Pam

The HV40 is tape based.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Damn! These look very interesting.

The HF S10, and HF S100 look like they they'll be packing some heat when they are released.

Ken, ready to take the plunge for us?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomEngineer /forum/post/15463153

Hi,

We'll see -

Pam

Pam,

Welcome to AVS!

Yes, it is interesting that the HF S10 is listed with a 10x optical zoom.

Many of us who have been staying on the cutting edge of HD consumer cams, will be looking to see how it performs picture quality wise.

Money, money, money...........

·
Registered
9 Posts
The HF200 is obviously the succesor to the immensely popular HF100. I was going to get the HF100, then the HG20, but decided to wait, I"'m glad I did. At first the HF200 sounds like the camera to get, but the HF S100 just sounds awesome. Will probably be my next camera.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The HV40 is a surprise. I was not expecting another tape based camera. The 24P "native" , however, will atract would be Spielbergs.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganT /forum/post/15463326

The HF200 is obviously the succesor to the immensely popular HF100. I was going to get the HF100, then the HG20, but decided to wait, I"'m glad I did. At first the HF200 sounds like the camera to get, but the HF S100 just sounds awesome. Will probably be my next camera.

The waiting game never pays off. The HF200 is going to be at least $500 MORE than what the HG20 is going for, no matter how good it is, its not going to be $500 BETTER.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli /forum/post/15463168

The HV40 is tape based.

Yes, it is, but I wasn't even considering that camera anymore than I considered the new SD camera's on Canon's site.

Also, the "flagship" model the HF-S10 has a 58mm lens which is sweet, but why only a 10x zoom?

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst /forum/post/15463295

Pam,

Welcome to AVS!

Yes, it is interesting that the HF S10 is listed with a 10x optical zoom.

Many of us who have been staying on the cutting edge of HD consumer cams, will be looking to see how it performs picture quality wise.

Money, money, money...........

Thanks BLASST

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam1996 /forum/post/15463562

The waiting game never pays off. The HF200 is going to be at least $500 MORE than what the HG20 is going for, no matter how good it is, its not going to be $500 BETTER.

Chances are that 1 or 2 months after it's released it's going to be simmilar in price to those mentioned cameras, especially on Amazon.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganT /forum/post/15463829

Chances are that 1 or 2 months after it's released it's going to be simmilar in price to those mentioned cameras, especially on Amazon.

Sorry but i have to disagree. It took several MONTHS, not 2 months for the HG20, HG21 and the HF11 to get to where they are now. All 3 listed above had MSRP of around $899-$1199 and sold for near MSRP for a while.

Even now the HF11 is still at around $800ish at Amazon (depending on week) and at or above $850 at major stores.

The "New" Cameras will not even be available for sale until a couple of months AFTER CES which is in Feb, and will be sold for atleast 2-3 months at MSRP or JUST below MSRP.

You are now looking at 4-5 months from now. People will then pay $900-$1100 for them 4-5 months from now only for them to be sold at $550-$600 in late 2009 the whole cycle starts all over again.

MY point is that the HG20 is now and has been for 4-6 weeks sold for $550 SHIPPED. Thats $450-$550 cheaper than any of the "new" cameras.

No matter how you look at it, the new cameras will not have features or picture quality that is $450-$550 MORE than the Hg20.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli /forum/post/15463471

The HV40 is a surprise. I was not expecting another tape based camera. The 24P "native" , however, will atract would be Spielbergs.

You really think they're going to kill a money-maker? The HV series cam has top points in camcorderinfo.com. It's used as a B roll cam in pro shoots and has a top quality picture.... and it's cheap.

I would expect an HV50 before they're ready to kill that series.

You have to remember that this is the AVS forum where people come to discuss the latest in technology.... tape cams are almost a non issue here. But if you go to any of the real editing sites (vegas, FCP, Avid...etc) avchd cams are by far the minority. It's tape... HDV... xdcam... betacam... etc...

The day is coming for tape that's for sure... but it won't be anywhere near today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
33,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst /forum/post/15463239

Damn! These look very interesting.

The HF S10, and HF S100 look like they they'll be packing some heat when they are released.

Ken, ready to take the plunge for us?

Blasst, I don't think on this one. It doesn't look like any of these new cams have a viewfinder! What are they thinking???? At least throw it on the high end unit. Additionally, I wouldn't be happy with half of the zoom range I've got now.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
thanks for the link slimoli!

it's clear that avchd camcorders are the future for canon... multiple models, with some significant upgrades from todays camcorders:

"The HF200 is identical in most regards, but records only to memory card. Both camcorders include a 3.89-megapixel, 1/4-inch CMOS, and have a 15x optical zoom."

"Canon's flagship models for 2009 are the HF S10, with 32GB of internal flash, and the HF S10. ...The lens is large – 58mm, which is the same size as the lens on the professional GL2 camcorder. This larger size allows for 900 horizontal TV lines, according to Canon."

even more resolution than the hf11/hg20/hg21?? that's big news!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomEngineer /forum/post/15463656

Also, the "flagship" model the HF-S10 has a 58mm lens which is sweet, but why only a 10x zoom?

1)cost... 900 lines of resolution @58mm is pricey glass.

2)elbow room for future upgrading

canon is notorious for making small changes, then using it as an excuse for calling the camera a new model.

·
Registered
33,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli /forum/post/15463471

I think people who think tape is dead are kidding themselves. Manufacturers keep renewing their lines (even on the semi-pro and pro lines) with new tape-based camcorders.

Some of the most expensive professional, network cameras are tape-based. Tape is not going anywhere for a while yet.

·
Registered
33,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osv /forum/post/15464594

The lens is large - 58mm, which is the same size as the lens on the professional GL2 camcorder. This larger size allows for 900 horizontal TV lines, according to Canon."

even more resolution than the hf11/hg20/hg21?? that's big news!!

Well, let's see how they actually test out. Canon claimed 800 lines for the A1 and it measured out at only 650 or thereabouts. So be suspicious of manufacturer's claims.

With that said however, I'd expect a measured resolution that will be higher than the current models, just not as high as Canon claims. The irony is that it might have a higher measured resolution than their prosumer cams costing several times the amount! That wouldn't be the first time either.

But as most of us know, resolution isn't the entire picture story, it's just one of many elements. I seriously doubt that any of these new cams will look as good as a Sony FX1000/Z5/Canon A1/Canon A1S with a lower measured resolution!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts