AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 100" Carada BW screen to go with my Epson 1080UB. Went with this combo mainly because of great reviews/feedback on here.


Well - the screen is extremely well built - no complaints there - but black levels are way up. has a kindve washed out look and no amount of tweaking with the projector seems to improve it.


Has anyone with a similar combination been able to callabrate a satisfactory picture? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
How is your room? If you have bright walls/ceiling or ambient light issues, it is no surprise the pic looks washed out as the screen has a very wide viewing cone and virtually no rejection of ambient or reflected light. In a batcave however, the picture should look stunning...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler /forum/post/15570009


How is your room? If you have bright walls/ceiling or ambient light issues, it is no surprise the pic looks washed out as the screen has a very wide viewing cone and virtually no rejection of ambient or reflected light. In a batcave however, the picture should look stunning...

Very well said..... I have BW screen and it offers excellent PQ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
903 Posts
I am new to all this. What does BW stand for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlnluck /forum/post/15575785


I am new to all this. What does BW stand for?

A Carada screen named Brilliant White, claimed to be very close to Stewart Studiotek 130, but in reality a plain gain 1 matte screen - as far from the Stewart as anything can be (almost...). Doesn't mean it's a bad screen, just don't think you'll get gain 1.4 as they claim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 /forum/post/15569892


Just bought 100" Carada BW screen to go with my Epson 1080UB. Went with this combo mainly because of great reviews/feedback on here.


Well - the screen is extremely well built - no complaints there - but black levels are way up. has a kindve washed out look and no amount of tweaking with the projector seems to improve it.

When you say "the black levels are way up"....way up compared to what?

Did you see your projector on another screen, or perhaps your wall, before getting the screen or something?


There is nothing about the Carada BW screen itself that should give you poor black levels. It's similar in gain (or a bit lower) than some industry standard screens which many reviewers use when judging a projector.

The only reason you should get poor black levels with the BW screen is if the projector has poor black levels or if you do not control ambient light or room reflections well enough. The BW material reflects the projector light in all directions and hence if you have bright walls and or bright ceiling/rug etc the light will reflect back and raise your black levels for many types of scenes. Having any stray light enter the room will also raise black levels.


If you can't control all the ambient light, or have a light room decor, then there are other types of screens that help combat those issues: for instance gray screens, gray screens with a directional optical gain coating (like the Stewart Firehawk) etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoWa /forum/post/15578312


A Carada screen named Brilliant White, claimed to be very close to Stewart Studiotek 130, but in reality a plain gain 1 matte screen - as far from the Stewart as anything can be (almost...). Doesn't mean it's a bad screen, just don't think you'll get gain 1.4 as they claim.

MoWa,


I have seen your posts and sample pictures from prior threads. To answer the question for myself, I ordered a sample of the Studiotek 130 to compare to the Carada BW. With the sample I received, there is minimal (if any) real difference. I think you may have received the Carada Gray screen in error. If there was some signficant advantage in the Stewart product, I would buy it. However, it just don't see it. I have had several dozen visitors over during the holidays and no one else sees a difference as well.


Sorry to hijack a thread, but this comment seems to come up on a regular basis.


The Carada BW is a great product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have light colored walls and that may be reflecting onto the screen. Other than that the room is completely dark.


Not sure I want to paint all my living room walls dark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,420 Posts
Well your light colored walls will be affecting the image adversely with a screen like the

Carada brilliant white for the reasons I stated earlier.


The problem in diagnosing your issue is that it remains very vague. You say the black levels are "way up" but that's not detailed enough. Way up compared to what? And we have no idea of your experience with projectors in order to ascertain what you are comparing it to. Have you seen the epson projector in other set ups in which the black levels were significantly lower than what you are getting at home? Maybe you don't have the brightness/black level set properly.


If you have light colored walls, especially if they are close to your projection screen, what will happen is the bright areas in the image will reflect off the bright walls and back to your screen, washing out the dark areas. This fits pretty well with your description of having a "washed out" look.


But still, it's hard to know if your projector settings are a culprit as well.


You should try projecting just an all black image on the wall, or some super dark scene that does not have any bright areas in the image. (A lot of people use the point in Finding Nemo where the two fish are in the dark depths with the lights out, just before the deep sea fish with the "lure light" tries to eat them. That's completely black at some point).


If your issue is ONLY coming from the fact you have light colored walls, then your black levels should look excellent in completely dark scenes like that, because it's not sending out light to reflect off your walls. If you find the black levels look satisfactory in such super dark images but become washed out as images get more and more bright areas in them, then that would indicate the issue is not with the projector but with the light reflecting from your screen to your light surroundings and back again.


And if that's the case and you can't get satisfactory contrast in your set up, yet don't want to paint your walls darker, you may have to look at other types of screens that are made to specifically address situations like yours: for instance a gray screen, or some of the screens with directional gain coatings which focus light away from walls and ceilings and more directly toward the viewer. They will maintain contrast better.

One of the best and most popular screens that look great even in a room with light decoration is the Stewart Firehawk screen. It's certainly more expensive than the Carada, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 /forum/post/15599047


MoWa,


I have seen your posts and sample pictures from prior threads. To answer the question for myself, I ordered a sample of the Studiotek 130 to compare to the Carada BW. With the sample I received, there is minimal (if any) real difference. I think you may have received the Carada Gray screen in error. If there was some signficant advantage in the Stewart product, I would buy it. However, it just don't see it. I have had several dozen visitors over during the holidays and no one else sees a difference as well.


Sorry to hijack a thread, but this comment seems to come up on a regular basis.


The Carada BW is a great product.

Then I wouldn't be the only one receiving a wrong sample. I ordered the sample because an ISF certified chap in Denmark, probably one of the most competent persons in Denmark when it comes to colour calibration, pointed out that the BW sample he had seen was VERY far from the Studiotek. I received the sample, and concluded the same thing. He ordered a sample for himself, and a few days ago published a measurement of just around gain 1. As a reference he used the Stewart Grayhawk. He got these results from the Carada samples: High Contrast Gray (claimed 0.8): 0.6, Classic Cinema White (claimed 1.0): 0.95, Brilliant White (claimed 1.4): just around 1.0.


I doubt Carada has sent three wrong samples to different persons - or perhaps they just don't like danes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 /forum/post/15600317


I have light colored walls and that may be reflecting onto the screen. Other than that the room is completely dark.


Not sure I want to paint all my living room walls dark.

If your problem does turn out to be your light walls/ceiling, you might try darkening both for a short distance, e.g., 6 feet, out from the screen wall. Some members have solved their washout issues by doing this. (Reflected light is more of a problem close to the screen than further away.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basically the problem was twofold. Light walls and Im projecting a 100" screen from 10 feet back. So theres a lotta light going on.


I spoke with Carada and theyre sending me a Classic Cinema replacement. All is good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoWa /forum/post/15601239


Then I wouldn't be the only one receiving a wrong sample. I ordered the sample because an ISF certified chap in Denmark, probably one of the most competent persons in Denmark when it comes to colour calibration, pointed out that the BW sample he had seen was VERY far from the Studiotek. I received the sample, and concluded the same thing. He ordered a sample for himself, and a few days ago published a measurement of just around gain 1. As a reference he used the Stewart Grayhawk. He got these results from the Carada samples: High Contrast Gray (claimed 0.8): 0.6, Classic Cinema White (claimed 1.0): 0.95, Brilliant White (claimed 1.4): just around 1.0.


I doubt Carada has sent three wrong samples to different persons - or perhaps they just don't like danes.

By the picture I saw you post before, I would say that you do have the wrong sample because what you have in hand does look substantially different. Sorry to hear that this might be the case. I do have both here at my home and I would be happy to email you a picture of what I have. Just send me a PM if you are interested. On measurements, I saw that the gain came out at a point near the claim on the projectorreviews article.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 /forum/post/15643168


By the picture I saw you post before, I would say that you do have the wrong sample because what you have in hand does look substantially different. Sorry to hear that this might be the case. I do have both here at my home and I would be happy to email you a picture of what I have. Just send me a PM if you are interested. On measurements, I saw that the gain came out at a point near the claim on the projectorreviews article.

Well, then Carada would have sent three wrong samples over a large timespan to three different danes. I doubt it. Carada is welcome to send a new sample to me (I'm sure they're reading this forum) - but when inquiring about the huuuuuuuge differences I saw compared to the Studiotek (which I felt was really strange as so many people say they are very similar), they just didn't care at all - totally indifferent about it.


Do you have both the Studiotek and BW samples? I'd really like a picture of them side by side with a pure bright white picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoWa /forum/post/15601239


Then I wouldn't be the only one receiving a wrong sample. I ordered the sample because an ISF certified chap in Denmark, probably one of the most competent persons in Denmark when it comes to colour calibration, pointed out that the BW sample he had seen was VERY far from the Studiotek. I received the sample, and concluded the same thing. He ordered a sample for himself, and a few days ago published a measurement of just around gain 1. As a reference he used the Stewart Grayhawk. He got these results from the Carada samples: High Contrast Gray (claimed 0.8): 0.6, Classic Cinema White (claimed 1.0): 0.95, Brilliant White (claimed 1.4): just around 1.0.


I doubt Carada has sent three wrong samples to different persons - or perhaps they just don't like danes.

Perhaps maybe you or your competent ISF chap can explain to us if his measurements are correct why based on his analysis the 1.0 Brilliant White is demonstrably brighter than the 0.95 Classsic Cinema. I am pretty confident that there have 100's of folks who have compared the two and agree with me that the difference in brightness between the two is much greater than a barely perceptable half percent. If you and your certified guy's claims were true Carada would have to be pretty stupid to offer two products that basically measure and perform the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoWa /forum/post/15644930


Well, then Carada would have sent three wrong samples over a large timespan to three different danes. I doubt it. Carada is welcome to send a new sample to me (I'm sure they're reading this forum) - but when inquiring about the huuuuuuuge differences I saw compared to the Studiotek (which I felt was really strange as so many people say they are very similar), they just didn't care at all - totally indifferent about it.


Do you have both the Studiotek and BW samples? I'd really like a picture of them side by side with a pure bright white picture.

I have a BW screen and can put the Studiotek sample right over top of it. I would be happy to send you some pictures. Just PM me your email address and I will send them right off to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/15602417


If your problem does turn out to be your light walls/ceiling, you might try darkening both for a short distance, e.g., 6 feet, out from the screen wall. Some members have solved their washout issues by doing this. (Reflected light is more of a problem close to the screen than further away.)

I'd already done this for my previous screen ( a more directional Greywolf II), but I didn't always bother setting up my 'tent'. Having just last weekend installed my new 2.35:1 Matt White screen I found that using the 'tent' is a must: There is a menu I can bring up that has a pure black background on my AE3000 (the waveform monitor single line). Without the 'tent' and with a bright image paused on screen the background of this menu is noticably lightened to a mid grey. With the tent in place it goes back to black. See attached picture of the screen plus tent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 /forum/post/15606570


Basically the problem was twofold. Light walls and Im projecting a 100" screen from 10 feet back. So theres a lotta light going on.


I spoke with Carada and theyre sending me a Classic Cinema replacement. All is good.

You may want to try using an ND2 filter with that size screen from that close. It will also dim the whites and give better blacks, but it will help reduce reflections too as there will be half the light bouncing around than without.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top