AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving into a new home and renovating the basement for my HT. I will not be showing any equipment. It will be stored in its own closet and controlled by remote PDA.

It seems I am always having to disconnect everything, pull my computer from the shelf to replace or try out a new card. It always seems I'm worried about sound emanating from the unit. and so everytime I take it apart, I make sure that everything goes back together nice & neat.

With having the computer in a different room where no one would see it, I would like to mount the components in a wall cabinet/backcan like they do for security systems. Everything would be easily accessable & sound would no longer be an issue. Everything will be connected internally and cables coming into the unit will go through the conduit holes.

Does anyone see any issues with this? Maybe something I am not seeing?

I would use a can similar to this, only thinner:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/fit-digi...seclocste.html

The motherboard would be installed vertically with the back wall using standoffs. I would keep the P/S in a corner & cut a hole for the fan. As far as the DVD player, I would mount it outside the box with a hole in the wall so that it is accessable from the HT room (done with a nice small wood cabinet door, don't have a picture of this idea yet) watching the distance of my IDE cable.

Ideas or concerns?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why not just get a desktop case and mount it to the wall directly? You could just drill screw holes in the bottom of the case; there would be air between the screw heads and the bottom of the MB because of the MB standoffs.

Seems like sticking with a conventional case could save you a lot of grief. You probably want to make sure that the power supply is at the top left, since the heat will rise.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I guess I don't "see" the bigger picture of what it is you're trying to accomplish with this security cabinet. Are you trying to keep someone from messing with your HTPC? Do you hope to get some sound insulation out of it? Do you envision easier access to your internal 'stuff'?

I also have my HTPC behind a wall (its in another room) but I just mounted my PC tower case to the wall and left the side panel off (the side away from the wall obviously) and tossed out all the system fans (I still have the Power Supply fan and the CPU/memory fan). This not only solves any cooling issues and lowers noise levels but also allows me easy, instant access to any hardware within the case. Moving cards or rewiring is always a snap. The S-video, audio and IDE wire connections to (the RePlayTV, Sony receiver and Lite-on DVD-rom player) come through a 'hole in the wall'. Oh and also my IRMAN (for remote control of the HTPC) comes through that same hole.

So could you please explain again... why the security cabinet????

·
Registered
545 Posts
That would be my suggestion also. You mich also be able to use a tower with one side mounted to the wall. I think that once you modify the cabinet you posted it will be a lot of work.

I like the idea, it's innovative thinking.

Clay

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jdifonzo
Why not just get a desktop case and mount it to the wall directly? You could just drill screw holes in the bottom of the case; there would be air between the screw heads and the bottom of the MB because of the MB standoffs.

Seems like sticking with a conventional case could save you a lot of grief. You probably want to make sure that the power supply is at the top left, since the heat will rise.
That would be alright. With that you still have to unscrew the case & open & up and worry more about heat. With the Security Cabinet, you are just opening a door and you are in. Alot of room to worry about, not worrying about where to place anything or if it is too close to something.

No, I'm not worried about someone breaking into my HTPC case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.