AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the new Panasonic 5 disc progressive scan DVD-Audio player (CF85) is as good as the old 72S or 72K five disc DVD-A progressive player?

Does it have as good as a de-interlacer or DCDi?

Chroma bug?

Any reason not to buy the this new Panny 5 disc progressive scan DVD-A player?

Any better alternatives? I want to spend more than $500 and want to stay alot less than that, but I want a nice player and I don't want to be cheap about it.

What should I do?

·
Registered
980 Posts
No faroudja in the new players. There is a review of the single disc player on home theater spot which says its good for $100 but its not an rp82.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
It doesn't have DCDI, in fact none of the 2003 model have it. They all got the same All in One chip solution from Panasonic.

I don't know about this model, but i'am interested in the S55 for a Entry Level Dvd-Audio Player and Jpeg displayer (got a lot of CDR full of photos....)

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you don't need a changer, maybe the upcoming Samsung HD931 is the ticket. It can even upconvert to 720/1080i via its DVI/HDCP output, if you want. And if you have a digital display w/ DVI/HDCP, then this player might be that much better for you.

FYI, it uses the new Faroudja fli23xx chip for deinterlacing and whatever scaling and format conversion the player will do. So yes, it will have DCDi for video-mode linedoubling. And it's expected to cost ~$350. Its hard-to-find, $$$ bigger brother HD1000 has been getting rave reviews.

If you want a universal player (ie. both DVD-A and SACD), then maybe the upcoming Denon 2900 is your best bet w/ its Silicon Image SI504 deinterlacing. It'll cost $900-1000 though. If Faroudja deinterlacing is prefered, then the existing Yamaha 2300 is your other option in roughly the same price range.

_Man_

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
I want:

5 disc or more

SACD or DVD-A is a plus

Excellent progressive scan picture quality

CD-R/RW MP3 compatible
I would suggest getting an Panasonic CP72 or Yamaha 6480.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.