AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the new JVC DVD players/changers like the XV-FA90/95 have any new or different chips than the old player referenced (723) in the lastest Shootout II?

Is the VFP (Video Fine Processor) just fluff or is is a real improvement?

Is this just a mediamatics/723/XV-S60 with a new remote and 7 disc changer?

How about it Stacey? Know anything about these JVCs? :p

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
New JVC progressive players use the same Mediamatics chip as 723. They all have great feature that they play PAL disks on any NTSC TV with perfect conversion quality. They can also now be moded to be region free.

·
Registered
58 Posts
sound&vision reviewed a single disc version of the jvc player(no dvd/a) and they spoke of aspect control, so i assume this higher end player has it also. They also spoke very highly of the PQ of the jvc player they reviewed.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
raymar99,

.........or maybe the chip is one from the newest super/super duper NVD86XX series!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The XV-FA90 does have aspect control and also has a zoom feature that you can select all or any part of the screen to zoom up or down with 13 or so increments (+10 and -3) This zoom is a manual feature using the remote and it is suppose to have the best scaler available in any DVD. This is a digital tap method at the pixel level.

Another nice feature is the Digest - this will give you nine thumbnails (opening scene for each chapter or title or tract of a DVD or Video CD. You can then cursor select the thumbnail. Some DVD have this but this JVC will make it for any DVD.

I have no idea if the chip is the NDV8501 or 86XX. I guess I can open up the box and see if I can read anything on the boards.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone opened the box of a XV-FA90/95 to see which version of the DVD-on-a-chip is being used?

Anyone know where inside the box the chip is located?

Do I also have to remove printed circuit cards to look underneath as in the Panasonic RP-56?

·
Registered
37 Posts

Originally posted by raymar99

Anyone know if the new JVC DVD players/changers like the XV-FA90/95 have any new or different chips than the old player referenced (723) in the lastest Shootout II?

Would you happen to know if the XV-FA92SL is the same as the FA90/95 models? I picked this up at Future Shop on Sunday but so far I've come up with zero information on it (I checked JVC's websites in Canada and the U.S., it appears that the FA92SL is a Canada only model (Right now it's only driving an ancient RCA ColourTrak 27" but I didn't want to buy a non progressive player when my next TV is going to be an HDTV model anyways, once my auto accident claim is settled ;))

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, JVC really screwed up with the model numbers. XV-FA90BK, 92SL, and 95GD are all exactly the same unit inside. The exterior color is the only change in the model numbers. BL = black, Sl - silver and GD - gold.

I would have been so simple to have a -FA9x, with x being a letter for the colors, b, s, or g.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.