AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new club member and newbie I find this site a great resource, even if I don't get all the tech talk. In the $4500-$5000 range there are two pj's I'm considering based on what I've read here. The Optoma H79 and JVC DLA HX1U. Room size is 15' x 23'

Want HD, had 50" plasma before. Would appreciate comments and any other choices in this price range.

·
Registered
20,096 Posts
I can only tell you I am extremely pleased with my H79. So much so, I'm finished doing anything for now on my home theater, other than having friends over and enjoying it. It is that good. No problems at all with mine. Had a movie party last night in fact.

I'm not a DLA fan myself - I like DLP better.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Not that the HX1 is a bad projector, it is great but lacking in contrast compared to the DLP. If you like to sit really close then this may be your projector.

I originally bought it because the rainbows of single chip DLP really bothered me. I got severe eye strain, headaches etc....

I am now going to upgrade to a 3 chip DLP to get my contrast back.

You really need to view a single chip DLP for a while to be sure you don't have any problems with these color seperation artifacts. If not then I think DLP is the way to go right now.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Optoma, no question. The contrast on the HX-1 really is unacceptably low, at least to my eyes.

BTW, the H78 is a better deal, and it seems essentially the same as the H79.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer
I can only tell you I am extremely pleased with my H79. So much so, I'm finished doing anything for now on my home theater, other than having friends over and enjoying it. It is that good. No problems at all with mine. Had a movie party last night in fact.

I'm not a DLA fan myself - I like DLP better.
I almost considered the HX-1 when I was looking at the H77, but it wouldn't fit into my setup AND it was too noisy. Now that I have the H79, there is no comparison and would not even have looked. I feel like you. The H79 is going to serve me for a while and instead of planning on my next upgrade, I just enjoy the heck out of what I have... SJ

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Black level performance on the H79 is no doubt better. Not to mention it will give a more plasma like image...excellen for HDTV sports and stuff. The HX1's are great units. They tend to have a smoother more filmlike image. However, the black levels definitely need William's touch, which is going to bring the price up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just bought an HX1 and indeed the contrast is low but Mr Phelps will have this one as soon as he is not busy. I needed to go to a lamp projector due to a move in a few months. I'm coming from an 8 inch CRT, and will miss the incredible contrast levels that i have now. After viewing LCDs and DLPs in my price range the SDE and rainbows made them a no go for me. Like Jason said, smoother and film like are no joke on a DILA projector. The filmlike image was the deal breaker for me. Until I get this unit to William I'm using the HX1 with a filter to cut down on how bright it is, which also helps increase contrast. Then i'll move to constant height!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.