AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, these are my plans for my theater starting in a few days.

all comments and questions welcome. thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Looks pretty interesting! It's hard to make out the details and measurements from the image. Please post details.

Randy

·
Registered
481 Posts
Skeets, it looks like that the width is larger(longer) then the length? Have you check out that how will the acoustic do in a room like this?

Ken

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The space Details: 17x24x10

Ken it just looks that way because i had to modify the size of the attachment so it would fit on the screen when downloaded. the acoustics

would not have been that bad even if designed the way you mentioned. had it designed that way until i talked(begged and barterd) my wife into

putting her hobby room on the other side of the basement.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the lack of info in the first thread. A little history behind this theater. I have been planning,sketching, doodling what have you , for about 5 yrs now. I had a previous theater in my other home but wasn't

a dedicated room. This one will be located in the basement with no windows. room size is 17ft wide by 24 ft. long and yes a 10ft ceiling.

I must admit this forum has been a god send because until I found it I was

lost as to what to do first. All the av dealers around here only deal with equipment and a few installations but I was more concerned about my room sounding good as well as looking good. With all the questions I had

and concerns they were easily answered here. The Knowledge and the amounts of shared info has been enormous. Along with a little humor I might add. The design itself, I must admit,I took from several members

own theaters to achieve the one that I have now. It was all put together by John Cudak @ Theater Design services and was one of the first designed by him. So Big Thank Yous to cap'n randy, art sonnenbom, and others for the inspirationan pics and info. Below are a few more pics of the theater.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a pic of the proscenium. This will change a little but for the most part will stay the same. Decided to go with bigger screen instead of the one

that we previously designed it for 100in. will now use a 119in.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here a pic of the rear elevation that will resemble the left and right sides

with acoustic panels between the columns. The only problem I am going to have , rather, changes, is that there is now a bathroom along the left wall

and will have to incorporate the colmn and change the entry door. Any one have any suggestions as to how to isolate all sound from the bathroom

from entering the theater.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got a chance to take some pics of the framing. I have finished the stage and riser. will be doing the electrical on saturday.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here is another pic of the screen area.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Art, man, I am sorry about that I have been working out of town for about

the last month and half and forgot about the pics. Plus theres this guy with this huge thread and salivating mob standing outside his door just to buy

tixs to the newest theater on the block. I was trying to get pass them to see what all the commotion was about:).

Have more pics but my wife has the computer locked down for school reasons

something about a paper due, a thesis or something to do with a phd, something she keeps screaming about. But anyway will be adding more pics this weekend. Oh yeah I sort of copped some ideas from your theater(the OLD one) Thanx:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are a few new pics of the constuction. The stage is done.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here is the stage

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the riser

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the left wall

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the right wall

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
What's going in the 2' below the joists ?

The pictures are a little out of focus so it's hard to figure out what's up there.

I was guessing you'd have upward pointing lights above a soffit, but then I saw the silver flex duct, so now I have no idea.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BasementBob, I have 10' ceilings so my design called for a step trey ceiling so I dropped down a foot added a soffit and room for my rope lighting to go in between the crown and the ceiling. most of the duct work you see will be moved and hidden in the soffits. Sorry for the out of focus pics my sister took the pics while I was out of town.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Can I call you Tom Holman? I am wondering why the need for so many surround cabinets? Sure, Hershellman said "it is hard to be surrounded by sound with only two speakers", but geeze I would hate to be in your room without a lead vest protecting my kidneys from damage. As for the front sound-staging, looks like the Sony SDDS array. I know they have discrete L, LC, C, R, and RC processing. Do you have something to use for this? You may be using the far left and far right speakers for music only critical listening speakers, not sure. I am all about overkill, but too many speakers played at the same frequencies can cause comb filtering. But good diagram and good motivation on your theater.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.