1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Jeff... let me break it to you easy. Worrying about whether to "dye" your replay black to improve the aesthetic appeal of your AV rack is kind of like the hillbilly sweeping his dirt floor when company comes.

I'd suggest instead you find a big cardboard box (like from a refrigerator)... cut it down the middle, slide it over the rack, and then you can just open the little doors you've made when you need access.

(oh.. and for gosh sake will you put some blue tape on that Replay light!)

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
He might want to get a rack with a *dark* door.... to trap all those multi-colored photons inside! :D

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I was at an a large electronics store and they had all kinds of colored LEDs (replay type). Strangely, they wanted $15.99 for the blue LEDs and only like $2.12 for all the other colors. The display was sent from the company. It wasn't felt pen written sign.

Sonic Blue was really giving us the royal treatment.

Why the price scheme was like that is beyond me.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
OUCH! Man, Jeff you just took a beating!

Come on guys! Perhaps he's gonna buy a new rack. He DID admit that the rack wasn't so sexy.

As for dying your Replay...its up to you, but I hope your warrantee has passed. You could use black tape I suppose. ;)

If you are really serious I would consider finding one of those guys that paints computer cases professionally.

Just my lousy $0.02 worth,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
If your serious about painting it lightly sand it and wipe it with a cloth wet with water/TSP mixture. wipe away tsp with damp cloth later. mask out the negetive space with masking tape and touch up the negetive space with vasicline and a brush or qtip. find nice paint with a fine spraying tip and spray it very lightly... don't worry about covering the whole thing or even the solidness of the coat. let dry, lightly sand, and repeat. give the last coat a more solid coat(but still very light since it already has the pigment it needs from the other coats).

The strategy is to know it's going to take about 4 days. I zenishly mask the things up on a different day then I start painting. This give me time to think about my mask and make any minor or the occasionaly major adjustment. doing steps with alot of time between them bout cuts down the stress durations and brings alot oportunity to mull things over in your mind.

If that helps you visualize..great

if worthless to you.. ok

Dang, now I want to paint mine, but I bought that 27" silver apex flatscreen from albersons for $200 partly because it would match my replay. It's plastic.. I haven't figured out how to paint plastic yet.. but I'm working on it.

cow

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cow, blue LEDs are more expensive everywhere, it's just that blue LEDs aren't as easy to make as red, green, yellow or white...

The LEDs in the 3k were low profile surface mounted LEDs, much more expensive than the LEDs on the 5k line.

I was thinking all sorts of stuff for the masking, I kinda want to keep most of the stencil stuff on the front, the silver is all I want to get rid of, that's why the dying it sounded best. The PC folks might be the best bet. I'd have to look around for someone.

The rack itself is acutally pretty cool Bell'O rack, it does need cable stuff, but since I swap cables all the time I found it easier to let them hang. And the photo sucks, I took it trying to show how all the equipment has at least on blue LED, but the replay is 2x as bright as the next closest one. Dark picture, looks crappy...

The atari 2600 with all the games is sadly sitting in a closet. =( It was hooked up earlier this year. Check the attachment to see how big a geek I am, that was sitting on my desk...

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
If you want a better mask in photoshop blow up the picture 5 times both directions if you have the ram and make the mask then shrink it back down..

I'm Mr. Know it All since Bullwinkle retired and went on to movies

cow

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
maybe you can practice painting on thin coats in layers using airbrush in photoshop and several layers.

sand with blur

tell me how it went

don't die your replay

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
I

The atari 2600 with all the games is sadly sitting in a closet. =( It was hooked up earlier this year. Check the attachment to see how big a geek I am, that was sitting on my desk...
you can get an atari joystick from radioshack for $25. the atari unit and some games are embedded in the joystick (not wireless though)

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=60%2D2711

You really need to simplify your decor

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I like the angle you used when you took the picture of that piece of $y!^. It looks massive and towering and borgish. It's horrible. If you meant to do it your near or fully genious.

cow

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Ohhh... one more detail confiming Jeff's geek-dom. Is that Dark Side of the Moon on the display that I read?

Let me be the first to recommend you stop listening to Pink Floyd until you get a job!

·
Registered
744 Posts
My recommendation:

1. Get a rack with a nice gray glass door.

2. Hide all your cables.

3. ...Then start thinking about painting your components.

Your Replay does stick out like a sore thumb amoung all the other black components, though.

Personally, I like the silver/gray scheme. All my components are this color and live in a nice black case (with gray glass door).

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
Ohhh... one more detail confiming Jeff's geek-dom. Is that Dark Side of the Moon on the display that I read?

Let me be the first to recommend you stop listening to Pink Floyd until you get a job!
Someone is looking too closely.... yeah SACD multichannel is a nice new flavor of the Dark Side.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jeff, all kidding aside.....I like the rack unit. What did you call it? Bell'O rack? Where would I find one of those?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.