AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - i am finally going to leave DTV. It seems like comcast is coming on strong in the HD department. I'm sad about losing Tivo but am looking forward to a solid HDTV solution. My install is scheduled for Thursday (lets hope they show up!) and I was wondering what I should watch out for. I have done many searches so understand many of the issues but was hoping someone could point out the "must deal with" issues while the installer is there.

1. any chance i will get a 6200 instead of a 5100?

2. what do i need to do about signal levels?

3. is the sdtv channels still a problem? is there any solution?

4. which mode is the best 480i or p pass through?

anything else?

I am getting a $400 dollar credit for turning in my receiver which is a good deal (cost me $100). I just cant justify spending $1000 or more for a HD pvr when it comes out. seems like you have to replace hardware almost every other year.

what have the people with comcast doing for pvr? are you just using a standard tivo? any recommendations on which one to get?

i appreciate all the help!

eric

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I never said it would be free. It will be rented - lets say its $10/month (which would probably include the PVR service). If HDTivo is $1000 it would take 100 months to pay the same amount (not to mention $5 month for the PVR service). I'm sure the HD Tivo would be obsolete by then, at which point I would have to buy another box. With comcast, when they have a new box, they will swap it out. After buying many D* boxes, I just don't think the model works for ME. Others are free to have their OWN opinion.

Could we please focus on the questions in my post, I really dont want to get into a D* vs Comcast war. I made my decision already.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ethune

1. any chance i will get a 6200 instead of a 5100?

2. what do i need to do about signal levels?

3. is the sdtv channels still a problem? is there any solution?

4. which mode is the best 480i or p pass through?
1. Very unlikely, don't expect to see a 6200 for at least 30-60 days.

2. Nothing - let Comcast deal with that.

3. The 5100 is still not as good as using a tuner in a VCR or TV for standard analog cable channels 1-99. For everything over 100, use the 5100.

4. Try both and use the one that produces the best results for you.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ethune,

1-74 are the analog channels in Los Gatos (same as me in Saratoga). All the standard channels are in this range..Locals, espn, espn2, mtv, tbs, tnn, fox sports, CNN, CNBC etc....They'll leave you with a lineup card

Try it through the 5100 and try it straight into your tv tuner (split the cable) you don't need your cable box to get 1-74.

For HD you'll get Espn, PBS, ABC, NBC, HBO, Showtime. Of course they each only have a small portion of their programming in true HD right now.

No InHD yet in our area, hopefully soon

-Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve,

That news is dissappointing, but thanks. Do you think it is worth getting at this point or should I wait? D* has a pretty decent picture and the tivo is nice. I have two D* (one hdtv, one tivo) and switch back and forth. I was hoping to be able to use one input from now on and it sounds like I wont be able to do this. Has anyone confirmed that the 6200 will fix this?

Eric

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ethune
Steve,

That news is dissappointing, but thanks. Do you think it is worth getting at this point or should I wait? D* has a pretty decent picture and the tivo is nice. I have two D* (one hdtv, one tivo) and switch back and forth. I was hoping to be able to use one input from now on and it sounds like I wont be able to do this. Has anyone confirmed that the 6200 will fix this?

Eric
Eric,

I split the cable from the wall 3 ways:

- 1 goes to my bedroom

- 1 goes directly to my TV

- and the last one goes into my Moto 5100

I also have a TiVo hooked up to the 5100 via S-video. I know it's not the most elegant solution but it works for me and until the HD TiVo comes it'll have to do since it can only record SD TV now anyway.

I've found that it gives me fairly good flexibility but unfortunately the only issue that I've run into is that I obviously can't watch any HD channels (other that OTA) while recording something but I don't run into very often.

Venu

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.