1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
220 Posts
It sure would be nice if the link told us how much bandwidth the component video jacks were capable of. Otherwise it's a crapshoot. Could be great, could be terrible. No way to tell w/o bandwidth numbers.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Nope, but you could/should get this and just be completely happy. :D

Matt

·
Registered
51 Posts
Or just save up more money and invest in a new receiver that has component switching.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Or just save up more money and invest in a new receiver that has component switching.
Problem is, I aven't seen a receiver that can accept 4 inputs.

Quote:
Or get this and be happier still:
That's nice, but for $100 less you get the automatic switching with the AA model.

Just my opinion though..:)

Matt

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I use an AV switcher thats really designed for a composite video and L/R sound. Does not seem to degrade the signals in any way and cost me a whopping $20.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by snordolio
This is not a practical solution for most people. Most receivers that have component switching only switch between 2 inputs. If you want one that switches 4 (like dedicated component switchers do), you have to spend at least $2000 for a receiver that can do that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by buttonmasher

Quote:
Originally posted by snordolio

This is not a practical solution for most people. Most receivers that have component switching only switch between 2 inputs. If you want one that switches 4 (like dedicated component switchers do), you have to spend at least $2000 for a receiver that can do that.
All the more reason to start saving now....

I've heard of people using a Radio Shack composit a/v multi-switch as a component switch, maybe that might be a more affordable option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
I've heard of people using a Radio Shack composit a/v multi-switch as a component switch, maybe that might be a more affordable option.
Yup. Worth a try for $15 to $25.

Component switching

·
Registered
754 Posts
uh.. why you guys slamming this thing? I think that it's pretty dang sweet for 100$!

http://www.consoleaccessories.com/products/unv004b.jpg

It offers switching for everythign 8 ports of switching! (cept for coax audio, but maybe you could get around that somehow). Wow i'm just suprised on the initial negative feedback on this thing.. am i missing something?! Also the AA product costs 200$

·
Registered
754 Posts
Another Q.. could you just use the L or R audio ports to switch a coax audio signal? does it have the bandwidth to pass a signal like that? Oh yeah and it has an ethernet switch on it also.. that's pretty dang cooL!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my AA1154 and its auto-switching (which can be manually overridden if you want), though I do like the look of that box.

The other nice things on the AA1154 are that both coax and spdif outputs are active, and it'll also take just the analog audio (for my GameCube, heh)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Several members of my forum have picked one up. All have reported that it will pass 1080i, 720p, 480i/p with no signal quality problems. The optical audio passes perfectly with no sync or quality issues. I plan on buying one tomorrow when I get paid.

One of the neat things about it is that it has little tags for your systems that light up when it is selected.

Check out our thread here

Also Gamestop has the same thing except it is badged by Pelican.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just for giggles and grins I picked up a Radio Shack 2:1 RCA Composite switch for a whopping $13.99 and ya know what? It works!!

I'm currently running my crappy interim DVD player (Panny 32) and Xbox through it and the picture looks great; no complaints!

My only beef is that when I switch between the two of them, I have to change some of my TV's settings (brightness,etc). But that's a relatively small issue and something I can deal with.

hmm, so I spent 13.99 and saved over $150 by going for the manual switch. That's a nice $150 I'll be putting toward a Yam RX-V1400

:)

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Just in case this was missed in the other thread:

Ok now that I have hooked everything up I realize there are some drawbacks to this box.

I still think it is a worthy box but the problem is that there are THREE ethernet inputs only and 3 Optical inputs only. They are all on the same three inputs which means if you have the equipment like I do:

XBOX- Optical + Ethernet

DVD player- Optical

PS2- optical+Ethernet

Laptop- Ethernet

HD Sat box- optical

TO name a few :)

See the problem? The DVD needs an optical but no Ethernet, the Laptop only needs Ethernet. The HD box only needs optical.

So I find some inputs wasted unless for a couple of items I use the unused inputs which means some have to share.

I wish that they had just added a couple more optical inputs.

On the positive side I like the fact there is a component input in the FRONT for those of us who may move a game system from room to room.

As far as the build quality, it is a bit on the chinsy side but not bad. The plugs feel sturdy and tight.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Mad catz has a component switcher....... is that any good

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone know if you can use the composite video jacks for coax digital audio if you aren't using them for video?

I agree they should have added more optical and ethernet jacks. The current layout is somewhat limiting that's whats keeping me from buying it. I would have to hook up the PS2 to one of the inputs that has ethernet but I wouldn't use optical for the ps2 so that would be one wasted optical port. I wonder if it possible to open it up and rewire it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought this thing too and will be setting it up tonight, but my gripe isn't about the ethernet, it's about the lack of remote. Although, since Sony and MicroSoft both screwed the pooch in not allowing remote power-on anyway, I guess it's less of a problem.

My next biggest complaint is with having only 3 digital optical inputs. I think I'm going to have to go PC, PS2 and xbox into those 3 inputs, hdtv through another (I'll try using the yellow rca jack for coax digital audio, if not I'll run it direct to the receiver) and then the dvd the same as the hdtv. What a pain in the ass.

As far as the networking goes, doesn't everyone use a router anyway? I'll just continue running the network direct to the boxes.

Does anyone have any insight into dual output on the machines? As things are now, I have (for the sake of argument) xbox going component into video 4 and ps2 going svideo into video 3. This allows me to go split screen and do both at the same time, or do either one split screen with watching television or a dvd. I'd like to have the option to run it full screen, component into video 5 through the system selector pro (at 480p or whatever) OR switch to video 3 or 4 or whatever and use the lesser resolution split screen. Is there any product that will basically run the output to two displays using different wires?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I've been using a $10 radio shack switcher for a year. I've tried pluggin in directly and then into the switcher and the picture was identical. I have my HD cable box into component 1 and the switcher into my tv's component 2. On the switcher is my pan rp-82 dvd, xbox, ps2, and I used to have a GC hooked up. I figured I don't need the remote control switchers and other high priced auto sensing onesb because if I want to play a game or a movie I need to get off my ass to put it in then turn on the game systems manually and grab a controller.

Good alternative for the short term if you do eventually want to upgrade to something better. Personally I'm not getting a switcher until dvi switcher start becoming readily available (even though my current tv doens't have dvi, my next one will).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.