AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a new home and I want to make sure I put some speaker wire in the ceiling in the right place so I can easily add Dolby Atmos 5.1.4.

I've added a diagram that shows the location of the TV and the couch etc.

I'm planning on using floor standing speakers for the front mains along with a center channel speaker sitting on a shelf below the TV. I'm going to do in-wall and in-ceiling speakers for the rest of the speakers (2 rear surround and 4 ceiling if possible)

How do I determine the exact location of the in ceiling and rear surround speakers? Do I have enough room to do 4 in-ceiling speakers even though my couch is near the back wall? Any other suggestions or things I need to watch out for? My drawing should be 100% to scale.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm building a new home and I want to make sure I put some speaker wire in the ceiling in the right place so I can easily add Dolby Atmos 5.1.4.

I've added a diagram that shows the location of the TV and the couch etc.

I'm planning on using floor standing speakers for the front mains along with a center channel speaker sitting on a shelf below the TV. I'm going to do in-wall and in-ceiling speakers for the rest of the speakers (2 rear surround and 4 ceiling if possible)

How do I determine the exact location of the in ceiling and rear surround speakers? Do I have enough room to do 4 in-ceiling speakers even though my couch is near the back wall? Any other suggestions or things I need to watch out for? My drawing should be 100% to scale.

Thanks,
Dave
Rotate the layout to face the east/right wall, plan on side surrounds not rear (a 5.1 set up uses side, a 7.1 adds rear)
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/5-1-4-setups.html

You should then be able to fit 4 overhead speakers for Atmos. However, 2 should work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Rotate the layout to face the east/right wall, plan on side surrounds not rear (a 5.1 set up uses side, a 7.1 adds rear)
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/5-1-4-setups.html

You should then be able to fit 4 overhead speakers for Atmos. However, 2 should work.
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I can't rotate the setup. I didn't show it in my diagram but there is a large fireplace against that wall.

Do you think I should look at 7.1.2 instead of 5.1.4?

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts