AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody I'm new to the forums and also to the Audio Visual World. Well on to my problem we are building a new home and the builder offers 5.1 surround pre-wire standard in a dedicated media room. Looking at the picture I don't know if where they are planning to put the speakers if the optimal place to have them.

The red dots are where they normally place them but I'm thinking they should be more to the center of the room away from the walls. I'm planning to use an Epson 8350 projector ceiling mounted about 12in from the ceiling and 16ft from the wall. The room is 18ft X 11.4ft I plan to have two rows of seating. If you see any problems with this let me know because as I stated I'm very new to this and I'm just using what I've learned so far to make a lot of my decisions. So if you guys see a better way to do this please let me know by either correcting my paper or messaging me. And if I need to make changes now is the time for me to do it before the electrician comes in.

Thanks Everybody

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Builders usually put speakers in poor locations...

For a dedicated room like this, you should be looking at in-wall speakers for the surround channels (and think about 7.1 for this space), and freestanding speakers for the L/C/R. Under no circumstances should you use in-ceiling speakers for the fronts. That will place the speakers way too far from the screen, so dialog won't appear to come from the actors, but from the ceiling instead...

You also might think about flipping the room so the screen is at the end near the door(s), so that you could easily build a riser for the 2nd row without having to deal with interference from the doorway.

But in that case, you'll need to make sure the door doesn't open such that it blocks any of the screen.

Also, while double doors look nice, they are the worst solution for keeping sound in and out of the theater. A single, sold-core door with a threshold and seals will perform much, much better.

And now is the time to think about pre-wriing the rest of the house for sound, too... Search the A/V Distribution forum for threads about "whole house audio".

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts