AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on speaker placement as well as anything else I should be thinking of in a new theater room as part of a new construction house I'm under contract for. Theater room is 15'8" by 11'9" with a 10ft ceiling height. Goal is to shoot for a 100"+ screen on the short wall with the main listening/viewing position roughly 10' from the screen. Shooting for 5.1.2 at least although I'm probably going to spring for 7.1.2 wiring while there are no walls up. Ceiling speakers will definitely be in-wall. Total blank slate and this is the first time I'm building a room like this so other than diving into every thread on this forum I figured I'd throw up a thread here

Questions I have now:
  • I have the option to wire for speakers as is or do in-walls. WAF factor is not a huge concern but since the space is relatively small the idea of saving space with having in-walls is appealing. Are the in-walls worth it? Obviously things like toe-in of the speakers is impossible with in-walls but I'm not really sure how much that'll matter. Projector screen will be some sort of acoustically transparent material if I go down this route.
  • Seating will either be a couch of some kinda and bean bags or 2 rows of 3 seats. If I go with 2 rows of 3 seats, is optimal placement for the surround speakers somwhere in the middle of the two rows or should I be focusing on the first row which will be used the most?
  • Same question for the atmos ceiling speakers - where should they be positioned in relation to the seating?
  • Builder is offering up bundles of speakers for both inwall and ceiling - all Klipsch PRO speakers. Pricing is high as expected from the builder/integrator but includes wiring/installation/etc. Question is how much of a markup am I looking at here? Or what are better alternatives in this price range if I don't go in-wall?
  • AV rack location is right now planned to be in one of the back corners. Not sure I'll have enough wall to do a built in so probably doing something freestanding with a door to hide blinking lights.
  • Will probably end up doing the acoustic treatment movie panels I saw in a thread here on the walls between the sconces. Should I bother with ceiling treatments? What about the floors? House doesn't even have a slab poured yet so this is the time where i can change things in regards to flooring/flooring material if i need to.
  • Anything I'm missing? Questions I should be asking? First time doing this so I'm sure there's a ton I missed/overlooked.
I've attached screenshots of the room layout as well as the speaker packages they're offering now. Room will be prewired for 5.1 so all I'm paying for there is another wire run or two for the speakers to make it 5.1.2 or 7.1.2.

Appreciate the responses in advance! -Dan

Rectangle Font Parallel Schematic Slope
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If all you have is hammer everything looks like a Nail. All you have is Klipsch
You can do in room fronts and subs but save room with in wall sides and rears,

You should do at least two subs i that room at the 25 and 75% of room width.
Yea not married to Klipsch in any way, just what I'm starting with here after signing the contracts. I'm not bound to use any of these builder recommendations.

2 Subs is something I'm all for. When you say 25% and 75% of the room width are we talking along the long wall or literally have 2 subs against the wall hosting the screen?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
with such a narrow room I would stick with 5.1 - that puts the surrounds behind you instead of directly to the side if you go 7.1
Directly to the side means they will be blasting into the outside seats ears :(
If you stick to 5.1 means you can go 5.1.4 - x.x.4 is far superior to x.x.2 IMO - even better than 7.x.2 (again IMO)
Or turn the room 90 deg and put the screen on the long wall - puts the surrounds further away from the outside seats. Although that may put you too close to the screen or not give enough projector throw to do 100" and you can't do 2 rows :(
if you do 2 rows you can put bipole surrounds between the 2 rows.
Atmos go slightly in front of directly overhead if going x.x.2 or 45deg in front and behind if doing x.x.4. Thats taken from Main Listening Position (MLP). If you do 4 then simply measure from seated ears to the ceiling and put speakers that same distance in front and behind and to either side - or as close as possible but it is not super critical as Atmos is forgiving and has a wide range of positioning.
Also bookshelf speakers mounted on-ceiling and aimed at MLP work better (much much better) than comparably priced in-ceilings. If you must go in-ceiling look for 15deg angled baffles like the RSL C34e speaker.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you get in to the building to run the wiring yourself? It is quick and easy.
No options to do the wire runs myself until the house is handed over to me. Gotta work with the builder as far as what gets run and where otherwise i'm tearing down drywall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
with such a narrow room I would stick with 5.1 - that puts the surrounds behind you instead of directly to the side if you go 7.1
Directly to the side means they will be blasting into the outside seats ears :(
If you stick to 5.1 means you can go 5.1.4 - x.x.4 is far superior to x.x.2 IMO - even better than 7.x.2 (again IMO)
Or turn the room 90 deg and put the screen on the long wall - puts the surrounds further away from the outside seats. Although that may put you too close to the screen or not give enough projector throw to do 100" and you can't do 2 rows :(
if you do 2 rows you can put bipole surrounds between the 2 rows.
Atmos go slightly in front of directly overhead if going x.x.2 or 45deg in front and behind if doing x.x.4. Thats taken from Main Listening Position (MLP). If you do 4 then simply measure from seated ears to the ceiling and put speakers that same distance in front and behind and to either side - or as close as possible but it is not super critical as Atmos is forgiving and has a wide range of positioning.
Also bookshelf speakers mounted on-ceiling and aimed at MLP work better (much much better) than comparably priced in-ceilings. If you must go in-ceiling look for 15deg angled baffles like the RSL C34e speaker.
5.x.4 is something i didn't even consider but I like the idea. Save me the (nominal) cost of running extra speakers for 7.x.x since I already get the room prewired for 5.1.

Something like these mounts would work for bookshelves mount to the ceiling im guessing - just need to make sure whichever ones I go with will support the bookshelf weight

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
No options to do the wire runs myself until the house is handed over to me. Gotta work with the builder as far as what gets run and where otherwise i'm tearing down drywall.
Yep, that's how things went with my builder last year.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Save me the (nominal) cost of running extra speakers for 7.x.x since I already get the room prewired for 5.1.
No, I still say go with 7. I also have a very narrow room, but if you go with bi-poles on the sides you don't need to worry about hot spots. That's before we even talk about room EQ or speaker placement as other ways to minimize those issues. Wire for 7.2.6 and don't look back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts