AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of designing and building a small mountain cabin, and have emerged from years of forum lurking to seek advice on my new install.

Both my wife and I listen to music almost constantly, so I wanted to design a system that lets us listen at low volumes in a big open room, so it's designed for lots of smaller speakers. I also went ahead and planned for 11.2 compatibility for a projector one day. There are also 2 outdoor zones and 1 in the bathroom. Most equipment will live in the wiring closet, feeding displays and subs over baluns as needed. Some other interesting facts about the wiring plans:
  • 7 zones of audio (4 main room, 1 bath, 2 outdoor) + extra pair for floor standing mains (to be added later)
  • 2x CAT6 to planned phones or desk locations
  • 4x CAT6 + 1 RG6 to possible TV locations
  • 4x RG6 to satellite dishes (allow for DBS and Satellite internet)
  • 14AWG to speakers (max permitted by zone volume controls), terminated on keystone binding posts at head height (on-wall speakers)
  • Zone volume controls w/ integral IR repeaters (Niles)
  • Subs to be fed via CAT5/6 audio baluns as needed
  • Extra CAT6 drops in eaves for surveillance
  • Wiring closet fed by 2x 20A dedicated circuits, with direct ventilation

I'm specifically interested in thoughts on speaker placement and wiring so I can make adjustments before I start buying supplies (did I mention I am also the electrician on this one?). More info about equipment choices will come along later. Thanks in advance!

(Notes on reading plans: Filled triangles = speakers; Outlined triangles = data/video; Volume Controls marked "Vol"; X/Y labeling indicates #CAT6 / #RG6 at drop; Jacks "floating" in space are either floor/ceiling mounted)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a month or two battling with the county teams, it looks like we're very close to starting work. Time for a bump.

Anyone have thoughts or warnings I should worry about on this proposed design?

·
Registered
283 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts