AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to finally upgrade my trusty Sony vw500es.

Price difference here in Canada b/w the JVC rs3000/NX9 and vw915es is only about $1k. After discounts they are literally even closer.

I’ll be using the new projector with a 130” 2:40:1 Stewart ST100 screen. I’m leaning towards the Sony as it’s laser and feel the movement in newer projectors will be towards this technology. All the reviews of the JVC though is making it very hard to go with the newer Sony.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts

Price difference here in Canada b/w the JVC rs3000/NX9 and vw915es is only about $1k. After discounts they are literally even closer.

I’ll be using the new projector with a 130” 2:40:1 Stewart ST100 screen. I’m leaning towards the Sony as it’s laser and feel the movement in newer projectors will be towards this technology. All the reviews of the JVC though is making it very hard to go with the newer Sony.

Thoughts?
Neither is a bad choice. It is a case of one image philosophy vs another really.

I would say, write a list of the things you want, then what you like about each one and what you don't.
Then choose the one that ticks the most boxes for you.
You're welcome. :)

·
Premium Member
864 Posts

Thoughts?
Also upgraded from the 500es.

I went with the RS3000.

I saw the 760es, rs2000 and rs3000 and preferred the latter. I just wanted more contrast this time along with that superb clarity the lens on the rs3000 provides. Laser be damned I will just change bulbs.

Both projectors will provide a cinematic experience though.

If at all possible try and get a demo of both.

·
Registered
29,914 Posts
Both are great projectors. What is your room like and what type of content do you watch? Also will you be using any outboard HDR tone mapping? Something I would consider, ST130 fabric, rather than ST100. Added brightness would be good.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input.

Called around and spoke to JVC dealers and no one seems to have a demo setup with the RS3000. The lower model seems to be the only one I could find if they even have a demo room. As for the Sony, same thing most demoing the older mid model 695es. So I guess I have to rely on user experience and reviews, which is not a problem, I bought my 500es sight unseen.

Besides picture quality as being a top priority, and either one seem to be close and should be a nice leap above my 500es, the other priority is projector longevity. The JVC could probably last longer with bulb replacements over its life span but not sure I want to go through that.

Reactions: Archibald1

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both are great projectors. What is your room like and what type of content do you watch? Also will you be using any outboard HDR tone mapping? Something I would consider, ST130 fabric, rather than ST100. Added brightness would be good.
Very pleased with the ST100 so that is not going anywhere. My HT is light controlled.

·
Registered
29,914 Posts
Very pleased with the ST100 so that is not going anywhere. My HT is light controlled.
View attachment 3045528
I don't think you listed your throw, but without filter you are looking at 28 to 30FL with the JVC or Sony for max calibrated brightness. With the JVC with filter in place, you are looking at around 25FL/26FL max calibrated brightness. My vote in a nice light controlled room would be for the JVC, especially if mainly for movie watching and that room looks like it is set up mainly for movie watching. The DTM on the JVC will make a big difference.

The Sony will have an advantage of holding brightness longer, the JVC would only have a brightness advantage if you rack up a lot of hours. As in more than 5,000 hours.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Thanks for your input.

Called around and spoke to JVC dealers and no one seems to have a demo setup with the RS3000. The lower model seems to be the only one I could find if they even have a demo room. As for the Sony, same thing most demoing the older mid model 695es. So I guess I have to rely on user experience and reviews, which is not a problem, I bought my 500es sight unseen.

Besides picture quality as being a top priority, and either one seem to be close and should be a nice leap above my 500es, the other priority is projector longevity. The JVC could probably last longer with bulb replacements over its life span but not sure I want to go through that.
Hopefully a good number of new projectors will come out in 2021. Why not wait to see if JVC places laser in the equivalent of what is now the brand's NX series by then. I really like the long life, laser dimming is less mechanical parts than mechanical dynamic iris and does fade to black, and fewer calibrations of lasers, as well as the way laser ignites the chips. I can only speak for myself, but I'm done with lamps.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think you listed your throw, but without filter you are looking at 28 to 30FL with the JVC or Sony for max calibrated brightness. With the JVC with filter in place, you are looking at around 25FL/26FL max calibrated brightness. My vote in a nice light controlled room would be for the JVC, especially if mainly for movie watching and that room looks like it is set up mainly for movie watching. The DTM on the JVC will make a big difference.

The Sony will have an advantage of holding brightness longer, the JVC would only have a brightness advantage if you rack up a lot of hours. As in more than 5,000 hours.
Thanks for providing those estimates Mike.

My throw is 15' 4" but will likely need to move closer to 15' with a new larger projector. Your recommendation is appreciated. Not sure what you mean by the Sony will hold brightness longer versus JVC will only have a brightness advantage if i rack up a lot of hours?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully a good number of new projectors will come out in 2021. Why not wait to see if JVC places laser in the equivalent of what is now the brand's NX series by then. I really like the long life, laser dimming is less mechanical parts than mechanical dynamic iris and does fade to black, and fewer calibrations of lasers, as well as the way laser ignites the chips. I can only speak for myself, but I'm done with lamps.
Good points. Perhaps i may be able to wait a little longer for new JVCs next year.

·
Registered
29,914 Posts
Thanks for providing those estimates Mike.

My throw is 15' 4" but will likely need to move closer to 15' with a new larger projector. Your recommendation is appreciated. Not sure what you mean by the Sony will hold brightness longer versus JVC will only have a brightness advantage if i rack up a lot of hours?
The JVC is lamp based, so it dims quicker than a laser based projector, but a laser based projector also dims. With lamp based you can get your brightness back with a new lamp. With laser, there is no way to get the lost lumens back. But it will take quite a few hours on the laser before you have much loss, but at some point the lamp based projector with fresh lamp will be brighter than what the laser can do. But that only applies for long term ownership.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Really? What problem did you have and with what projector? I had no problem going from an RS4500 to an RS3000.
Buying replacement bulbs, replacing bulbs, dimming that results from bulb usage.

My first 3 projectors were epsons with bulbs. Every bulb projector looks better with a brand new bulb, but from the first watch on, they are constantly dimming

·
Registered
29,914 Posts
Buying replacement bulbs, replacing bulbs, dimming that results from bulb usage.

My first 3 projectors were epsons with bulbs. Every bulb projector looks better with a brand new bulb, but from the first watch on, they are constantly dimming
Epson had some bad lamps, a few years ago. JVC also had some lamp issues before 2011, but the JVC lamps have been rock solid since the RS46 was released in 2012.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts