AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
You can buy a lot of bulbs for $2K ... just sayin'.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,386 Posts
The 915ES most definitely does not have worse contrast than my 665ES. I spent about 2 hours auditioning it and the colors and contrast out of the box are really, really nice.
It's possible your 665ES suffered from (gradual) but massive panel degradation. This is something common with sony projectors and this model specifically. But new, your 665ES contrast measured around 80000:1 with the iris working in its maximum effective mode. Forgetting the fade to black, the 915ES measures 19,000:1 with its full laser dimming engaged. Your 665ES beats it handily. Again, this is unless your 665ES suffered panel degradation, which it probably did. But the 665ES and the 915ES have the same panel and native contrast (where supposedly the 915 ES has a panel that won't degrade over time because while sony always denied that problems existed, they magically claimed to have fixed that problem at the same time). That means the 665ES and 915ES share the same native contrast prior to engaging the laser dimming / iris. So the difference is with the dimming system. And the sony iris is far more effective than the sony laser. Sad but true.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
I do not use low lamp mode. I need every last bit of brightness I can get for HDR content, plus I just like a brighter picture.

The 915ES most definitely does not have worse contrast than my 665ES. I spent about 2 hours auditioning it and the colors and contrast out of the box are really, really nice.

I can get an RS3000 for about $2k less than a 915ES, but I've never seen one and I haven't found anybody around me that is demoing them.

The other thing that I'm curious about is the ability of the 915ES to add better DTM via firmware update, as I believe that is exactly what the RS3000/NX9 did. The Sony has the X-1 processor, so I would assume they have the horsepower to implement such changes. What I am ignorant of is whether the DTM requires some type of additional panel, optics or other hardware that the ES915 doesn't possess.

As it stands right now, here are my considerations on both units, going solely off of reviews and specs with regard to the RS3000/NX9

RS3000:

2200 lumens vs 2000 for the Sony
Allegedly the best HDR picture available for the price point
JVC is known for having amazing black levels
$2K cheaper than 915ES

Large and heavy
Audible noise
Bulb technology - light degradation over time

915ES:

I've seen it in person and it looks really good
It's the same chassis and mounting hardware as my current projector, should be plug and play
Supposed to be fairly quiet (although some here have reported differently)
Laser technology allegedly means that light degradation and calibration drift will be minimal

$2K more than RS3000
Does not currently have true DTM (this is probably the biggest concern)
2000 lumens vs 2200 for the RS3000
I certainly didn't find the contrast on my 760 to be worse than my 550 either except in the very darkest scenes (when it was on it's original firmware) and after the update in 2019 it was much better.

Sony most certainly can/could update the HDR/Contrast enhancer in software, but with the way it works, there is only so much it can do. This is because most of the actual donkey work as to how an HDR image actually looks on screen, is done by the user selecting one of the two PQ/EOTF curves available and then setting the Contrast (HDR) slider accordingly/to taste.
No additional hardware is required for tweaking of the Sony's features.
I would call the Sony system, Dynamic Tone Management (I thought of it first Sony, right here right now) rather than 'mapping'. So still DTM in a way..... ;)

Mounting points on Sony units has been the same (except the big boy 5000 et-al) since 2005/6 ish.
So yes, a plug and play replacement for a current Sony unit.

As for noise, apart from absolute measurements, then it is a very subjective thing as to what is loud/tolerable and what isn't.
AS I said, in my case, my 760 on 100% laser power is quieter than my 550 was on high bulb. I was quite shocked by how loud that model was after coming from my VW90ES that was super quiet in high bulb.

Whichever you get, you will be getting world class performance regardless of the inter brand histrionics that go on around these parts. ;):)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I found the 760 to be a revelation after my 550. Maybe they hadn't set it optimally at the audition? The controls for HDR on the 7xx models do not necessarily translate directly from lamp models.

8K in projections, worthless unless unless you sit on top of your screen or it is immense in size.
HDMI2.1 and 120hz, is something gamers are on the look out for but isn't a deal breaker for many. 60hz gaming, unless at super competitive level (in which case why wouldn't you be using a 240hz Display port gaming monitor to game on), is still a great experience.

You can play the waiting game every year hoping for that next little nugget of tech you know they will throw out there, but in the projector market especially, those nuggets come on the slow train.
4K and HDMI 2 is here for a while in this arena.
For me once you have decided to upgrade then get the best you can get at that moment. Procrastination is the thief of time and life is too short. ;)
Agreed. 8k right now is a marketing ploy and means nothing as this content is nonexistent anyways. Also, as someone who is a dedicated gamer (as much as I have time for) I would never want to play something actually competitive on a projector right now because like you said, i am on a 240hz monitor atm and moving to even a TV would be a significant downgrade if I was concerned about bein competitive. A lot of people dont even know how handicapped they are on their current TV's with their xbox/playstations vs my PC with a 240hz monitor. I am getting more FPS, with a higher refresh rate, and honestly you can 100% feel the difference while switching back and forth.

The only gaming I would ever be interested in on a Projector would be single player RPGs or party games like Mario Party/Mario Kart where they would be more focused on fun with friends than true competition. I would never play something like Warzone on a projector, because you really would be at a noticeable disadvantage.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
You can buy a lot of bulbs for $2K ... just sayin'.
Ray,

I Do-Not know what complete Lamp-Assemblies cost for the lamp based JVC projectors.
(I'm referring to the Official-JVC-Lamp-Assemblies ONLY)
But .................
I owned many Runco projectors and I do know that the "Official-Runco" lamp-assembly was $1,100.00 dollars plus Tax and also additional Labor cost if you required the Runco Authorized Dealer to perform that install.

So, in my situation that's actually almost 2-years of use with my Runco projector as I run something like 2,200 hours per year of use.
(I was changing those lamp-assemblies around 10-months)

Seriously I cannot imagine anyone purchasing a Lamp-Based-New-Projector from any manufacture in this day and time.
If it was a High-Usage "Application"

Street pricing for Laser projectors are to me personally very-very competitive and going to be even more so IMHO.

Terry

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
I certainly didn't find the contrast on my 760 to be worse than my 550 either except in the very darkest scenes (when it was on it's original firmware) and after the update in 2019 it was much better.

Sony most certainly can/could update the HDR/Contrast enhancer in software, but with the way it works, there is only so much it can do. This is because most of the actual donkey work as to how an HDR image actually looks on screen, is done by the user selecting one of the two PQ/EOTF curves available and then setting the Contrast (HDR) slider accordingly/to taste.
No additional hardware is required for tweaking of the Sony's features.
I would call the Sony system, Dynamic Tone Management (I thought of it first Sony, right here right now) rather than 'mapping'. So still DTM in a way..... ;)

Mounting points on Sony units has been the same (except the big boy 5000 et-al) since 2005/6 ish.
So yes, a plug and play replacement for a current Sony unit.

As for noise, apart from absolute measurements, then it is a very subjective thing as to what is loud/tolerable and what isn't.
AS I said, in my case, my 760 on 100% laser power is quieter than my 550 was on high bulb. I was quite shocked by how loud that model was after coming from my VW90ES that was super quiet in high bulb.

Whichever you get, you will be getting world class performance regardless of the inter brand histrionics that go on around these parts. ;):)
Projector Central has the NX9 lamp assembly for $699, so yeah, not cheap. I was thinking normal lamp cost, don't ask why ... naive or just being a [email protected]? My money is on the latter! :D But the former applies, as well. :oops:

I would also seriously consider the laser advantage for long-term usage consistency. Bulbs change over time, degrading the image. I've been a big fan of Sony imaging over the years, so would tend to lean in that direction, but JVC is a good unit, too. My feeling is that either is a good choice, and would decide based purely on what is seen on the screen.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If the sony put out 2500 lumens I would buy it tomorrow, as I am also 100% on the Laser>bulbs.

Everyone "doesnt even notice" their bulbs continually dimming, until they finally replace the bulb and they realize how much brightness they have actually lost. I want to move to a 150" Centerstage XD16:9 with the masking panels, but I am worried I wont get enough brightness for my personal taste... cant believe the JVC Rs4500 is still the only lazer putting out decent lumens under $20k.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
If the sony put out 2500 lumens I would buy it tomorrow, as I am also 100% on the Laser>bulbs.

Everyone "doesnt even notice" their bulbs continually dimming, until they finally replace the bulb and they realize how much brightness they have actually lost. I want to move to a 150" Centerstage XD16:9 with the masking panels, but I am worried I wont get enough brightness for my personal taste... cant believe the JVC Rs4500 is still the only lazer putting out decent lumens under $20k.
To get max lumens out of a Z1, you have to love the sound of jet engines though don't you? ;)

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
I think Terry watches on high with no problem - by keeping his room cool. it's too loud for my tastes, but any projector is too loud for me - even yours.
Yeah I suppose all projectors are too loud as a display device, but it is ultimately intrinsic to their operation. I find my projector to be no bother at all as they go. The vw90 I had was the quietest I think though. Nigh on silent.

·
Registered
30,764 Posts
To get max lumens out of a Z1, you have to love the sound of jet engines though don't you? ;)
Nope. That is something that every single person that came over to my house commented on, when I put the 4500 in high laser. Every one of them said the 4500 was not near as loud as they expected, based on reading the forum. I am not saying it is quiet by any means, but it is not near as loud as people on here act like it is. This is assuming you control the temperature in your HT. I did not use high laser, but I did not need high laser for HDR on my screen. I did try high laser, but could not see enough improvement in the HDR to justify the extra noise. Don't get me wrong, it is louder than I would want, but so is the 885/915 and 995 at 100% laser. Put the 4500 in a room where you do not have good temperature control and yes, it can get quite loud.

·
Registered
30,764 Posts
Yeah I suppose all projectors are too loud as a display device, but it is ultimately intrinsic to their operation. I find my projector to be no bother at all as they go. The vw90 I had was the quietest I think though. Nigh on silent.
Yep, the 1080P Sony's were exceptionally quiet, especially in low lamp. You about needed a stethoscope. :) But they were not putting out anywhere near the lumens we are currently getting on these Sony and JVC projectors.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Nope. That is something that every single person that came over to my house commented on, when I put the 4500 in high laser. Every one of them said the 4500 was not near as loud as they expected, based on reading the forum. I am not saying it is quiet by any means, but it is not near as loud as people on here act like it is. This is assuming you control the temperature in your HT. I did not use high laser, but I did not need high laser for HDR on my screen. I did try high laser, but could not see enough improvement in the HDR to justify the extra noise. Don't get me wrong, it is louder than I would want, but so is the 885/915 and 995 at 100% laser. Put the 4500 in a room where you do not have good temperature control and yes, it can get quite loud.
Ahhh, expectations.
If one expects the worst, anything can seem like it is not so bad. ;)
It is the only projector I have seen that supplies exhaust deflectors though. Are they not baffles for noise as well as stopping the exhaust air from 'rippling' the image?

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Yep, the 1080P Sony's were exceptionally quiet, especially in low lamp. You about needed a stethoscope. :) But they were not putting out anywhere near the lumens we are currently getting on these Sony and JVC projectors.
True, the 90 was 1000 lumens as I recall.
Mind you they don't build them quite as carefully or solidly as they did then either.

·
Registered
30,764 Posts
Ahhh, expectations.
If one expects the worst, anything can seem like it is not so bad. ;)
It is the only projector I have seen that supplies exhaust deflectors though. Are they not baffles for noise as well as stopping the exhaust air from 'rippling' the image?
As Craig reported earlier, Terry uses high laser and I know a couple others that do so also. Terry does not use the angled deflectors either. I would have used high laser in my room, if I had noticed a big improvement with HDR. I have good temperature control in my room.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts