AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm buying a 25 y/o home and would like to install some basic multiroom audio. I've had a local company take a look that use Niles/Crestron but don't offer Rhapsody streaming which I've become quite happy with while using Sonos for the past few years. My question: I have read about Control4 and it seems to have what I need. Streaming ability from Rhapsody as well as NAS which I plan to setup via itunes lossless. I need 8 zones. Video isn't important but possibly could add in future? I will likely use wireless controller, ipad/or similar, most of the time but would like a few wall based control units. What do I need to get started? I have no idea what to think this would cost? I plan on calling my local retailer for estimate but kindly would appreciate opinion. Thanks.

·
Registered
971 Posts
How old is the Crestron system? How much of it is Niles and what Niles products are being used? What Crestron processor and switching hardware is installed? Just trying to determine if your money would be better spent upgrading your existing system vs relpacing it.

You can add rhapsody to your current system via a logitech squeezebox. If your system isn't to far out of date you could spend your budget on adding new touchpanels and breathe new life into the system with less retro fit work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, 39cent but I must not have been clear. The 25 year old home is NEW to me but has no multiroom audio. I have LOOKED/READ about Crestron/Niles but haven't seen any application for online audio such as Rhapsody. I will be installing 8 new speaker zones for music. Again, video not important for now but maybe in the future. My current home, which I am moving from, has Sonos system and I love the convenience of using my Iphone for controller. Thanks.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The error was mine. I misunderstood the part about Crestron and Niles and assumed you had an integrator look at an existing system that was already in the house when you purchased it. Being that the house was only 25 years old i had hope that you might have a PRO2 processor waiting to have its program upgraded

I posted this in your other thread

Quote:
There is a squeezebox module for Crestron and i assume other control systems. This fellow has an inexpensive module for controlling sonos via Crestron. http://www.sprules.com/

What this means is that you can access rhapsody via the logitech squeezebox and control it via the crestron module. And you can integrate Sonos with the module being sold at sprules.com. FYI i have no first hand experience with the sonos module. I found a couple year old message board thread where the author was discussing it as he worked on it and now its for sale so i assume its done. Contact him for more information.

If distributed audio is all you are looking for then i agree with bluewave. Stick to Sonos. You are already in love with it so marry it
. It has a great interface and works well.

If you dont plan to distribute video then you have a million single zone options. URC and RTI being a good choice and pronto being even better with its ability to control Sonos. So your family room surround zone can have the pronto as the remote and also have the ability to control sonos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyfRxXNMIlo

What other automation are you planning? Lights? HVAC? Security? If these are not on your wish list then your life just got much easier. Sonos for multizone audio and a local system with Pronto and your done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's just my point. I might want to expand in the future to control video/lighting/etc. Sonos has great UI but can't do this. How about the Control4 system? It seems to offer all I want and can be wirelessly networked which may be really helpful in my older home redo?? Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Control 4 claims its wireless in practice that never works so well, the wireless speakers points cut in an out, you can't have more than 2 or 3 running at the same time without destroying the network, so if you are planning on C4 plan on running wires for everything, period.

·
Registered
971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurst /forum/post/18267885

That's just my point. I might want to expand in the future to control video/lighting/etc. Sonos has great UI but can't do this. How about the Control4 system? It seems to offer all I want and can be wirelessly networked which may be really helpful in my older home redo?? Thanks for the advice!

You should wire your home like you will be installing Crestron or AMX or Control4 or whatever because you don't know what you will want in the future. But IMO you should not purchase a Control4 system ( or any HA system) today to do (only) what Sonos can do.

Spend less money now on Sonos and when you decide to add things later purchase the current HA system you want. If you were to wait more than 2 years to move forward with HA you will have access to a new, most likely less expensive and just plain better product.

The other important thing you are overlooking is that Sonos can be incorporated into the HA system as a source when you add it. You don't have to eliminate it and you don't have to worry about it not being an HA product itself.

FYI wireless and home automation are like oil and water. Wired is the way to go whenever you have the option. There are not connection delays and communication drops with wired. You are spoiled with the reliability you have experienced with Sonos. Don't expect that with home automation products you have not seen in person.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves /forum/post/18268549

Control 4 claims its wireless in practice that never works so well, the wireless speakers points cut in an out, you can't have more than 2 or 3 running at the same time without destroying the network, so if you are planning on C4 plan on running wires for everything, period.

sounds like you have just experienced their products on poor networks.. you can do more then 2-3 and it works fine

·
Registered
105 Posts
you can purchase something like the HC300 and get all of the features you want now plus also the ability to have a good control system for your main tv area etc and expand on it when ever you like. Also any system you purchase now comes with a free 2.0 OS update for when the big switch to flash comes out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions. At this point I really don't care about light, security, or heat/air control integration. Not sure I even need video. I really think that continuing with Sonos is the way for me especially given the cost savings. How about in ceiling/wall speaker suggestions. I need several rooms with fairly good background music but would like my master and den to have pretty decent sound. BTW, I am a two channel audiophile and know how good speakers should sound.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To the OP I would go to c4forums and ask your questions there. I am a Control4 owner and use it for the very same reason you do.

I put mine in a 34 year old new to me home where running wires was not possible. It works great, the wife, 8 year old and tech challenged nana can work it all. right now it is simple with 4 zones of audio, 2 mini touch screens. one controller in the main living room controlling the avr, tv, cable and even the ps3. i love it.

for cost you are looking at

$700 for controller and remote

$2,250 ish for an 8 zone amp - i think

local room control could vary from $150 for a 6button keypad, or could be a remote $200, or could be an in wall touch screen - which range from $700 - $2250.

then you have programming and install on top of that.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I would recommend Speakercraft speakers if your looking for a good in wall but then you might want to try that question in the speaker forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts