AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Costco the other day and noticed they just received a new LG 60" that had no 3D, or smart TV features, and the price was great for the size. It did have the typical "plasma look" that is prevalent in the warehouse setting, but it looked really good regardless. I thought the box said it was a 53 Series, or my dyslexia kicked in and think it is a 35 Series......?? Has anybody seen this that can give me the right model number? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Do you know the size of the TV and the price? I know Costco does not list their LG tv's online but you can find some good lg plasma deals around the web sometimes.

I see Sam's club has a 6550 60" model. Can that be one Costco has?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply it is appreciated. It is a 60 inch plasma that was just received by Costco, so it is a new 2013 model. The side of the box indicated that it was

a 53 series, or I might have rolled by it to fast and it may have said a 35 series. I can find nothing on the web, or on LG's website, regarding this 60 inch plasma.....???????????

·
Registered
181 Posts
Have you looked into Panasonic plasmas? They're supposed to be the best in the business and I think Costco carries some of them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did see one Panasonic Plasma in stock, it was the UT50, 55 inch, which is a 2012 model. I am more interested in the new U60, as I'm not interested in 3D. I'm also interested in the new LG that Costco just got in. They also just received the new Samsung 59 inch plasma, but it was too pricey for me. I did find out that the LG 6500 and the LG 5300 seems to be the same TV, as they share the same instruction manual, as found on the LG website.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do you mean the S60? Just curious, how much was the LG at Costco? The LG got only 3 stars from CNET. Not saying they're the ultimate source but the often give Panasonic plasmas at least four stars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I did mean S60. The LG 60 inch plasma was priced at $779, and it looked pretty good. Some family and friends have LG plasma's and never a problem with burn-in, buzz, or IR, and all of them did no "plasma prep", just plugged it in and started watching with no regard to 4:3 or anything else.

·
Registered
893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanzero  /t/1469169/new-costco-lg-60-plasma#post_23232777

Yeah, I did mean S60. The LG 60 inch plasma was priced at $779, and it looked pretty good. Some family and friends have LG plasma's and never a problem with burn-in, buzz, or IR, and all of them did no "plasma prep", just plugged it in and started watching with no regard to 4:3 or anything else.

LG plasmas typically have always tested astronomically high in the input lag department. So if you plan on doing any gaming on it heed my warning.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's not a bad price for a plasma that big. If the glare of the tv isn't a problem then I say go for it. It should take care of your needs plenty. There's also the option of getting the Panasonic ST60. I know you don't need all of the features that it comes with like 3D and Smart TV but there is an anti-glare filter that can benefit daytime viewing. It is however $999 for a 50 inch but supposedly it's a great tv if you're not a gamer which you are not because the input lag is supposedly bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought it was a good price as well. Costco has the 55UT50 priced at 749. The ST60 looks interesting, but I don't have a problem with light issues, so the S60 is more in my price range. Since I'm in a wheelchair I sit lower than the TV at Costco, so I really cannot see the glare problem that everyone seems to talk about, it just looks not as bright as the LED's they have. Movies, football and the History Channel are all I use my HDTV for.

Thanks to all for your input, it is really appreciated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
In that case it's a toss up between the S60 and LG. There's no way you'll be able to get a 60 inch Panasonic in the $779 range so the LG is an attractive choice in that respect. Personally I feel like when it comes to plasma HDTVs it's best to go with Panasonic. Then again, you've seen the LG in person and liked the picture and it can get even better if you adjust the picture settings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually the 60'' Panasonic TC-60PU54 is $798 at Sam's Club.I just got one and i've been very impressed,esp. if you don't need 3D.To the OP i would def. go plasma if you have the choice,i've seen some LG ones in person that looked pretty good as well.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The 2013 LG 60" is the 60PN6500. Microcenter has it for $799. Microcenter also lists the 2012 60PA6500 for $699, but doesn't stock it and I don't know of any changes between the 2012 and 2013 models. I went to Costco last night and the LG they had was the 2012 60PA6550 for $769.97.

I've seen the Panasonic TC-P60U50 for $700 at a local Walmart, but I don't know how this compares to the LG or the 60S60.

The nearest priced 60" Samsung I've found is the PN60F5300AFX for $948 at Walmart.

The Costco TVs were all mounted fairly high (above eye level while standing) and under lots of bright florescent lights and I did notice severe reflections in them. The only lower priced plasma model >= 60" with a glare filter that I know of is the Panasonic 65S54, $1448 at Sams (slightly more at Costco I hear), but that pretty much blows my budget of under $1000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The new LG at Costco is the model 60PN5300 with a stock number of 906053 and it is $779. There is no info on LG's web site. The instruction manual also covers the 42PN4500, 50PN4500, 50PN5300, 50PN6500 and 60PN6500. I'd love to know if this is a decent plasma as well, I can't find anymore information.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have seen MANY Samsung plasmas with stuck vertical lines, it's a common defect with A, B, C, D and E series PDPs, and it might affect F series too, seems like they have not fixed it. I have seen 13 month old Samsung with stuck vertical line. Crap quality! And not repairable, requires new panel ass'y!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts