AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Inspiron 531s that I still use as a dedicated "media-serving" PC. I rip my BDs there, and run any server software (like SqueezeServer, etc) and just point it at my unRAID storage box.

It's got an AMD 64x2 3800+, which means it runs at 2.0Ghz. It's always been "good enough", but I've had to shy-away from trying to transcode, for fear it was way underpowered.

Well, I'm in the market for a media-server that'll do both HTTP for my PCH and UPnP for PS3...and I've been told TVersity might fit the bill? If I'm going to give it a try...or even if I end up with something like ps3ms...I think this box needs a boost. I see NewEgg still has 2 AMD 64x2 chips; any reason this shouldn't work in my board?

Also, I've currently got a Gig of RAM; do I need to bump that up as well?

CD

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/18289866

I see NewEgg still has 2 AMD 64x2 chips; any reason this shouldn't work in my board?

Also, I've currently got a Gig of RAM; do I need to bump that up as well?

Don't see why not. As for the RAM, if you're using Vista, then going at least 2GB would give a considerable boost. Get the most RAM your budget allows. That should help especially if you've got a lot of tasks running in the background.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoman /forum/post/18290054

Just say no to Vista.

I do; XP Pro, until I absolutely have to give Win7 its shot.

CD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts