AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been around much lately, so I don't know if this has been covered, but here's a link to the new SED technology coming from Canon and Toshiba:
http://www.canon.com/press/p2004sep14.html

Basically, imagine a miniature, dedicated CRT for every pixel in the image, and that's what ya got here....flat panel CRT. Should be interesting, because it'll retain the smooth gradation ability of CRT, while gaining the brightness and clarity of digital. The more things change....the more they stay the same. As Winston Churchill (a purdy smart dude, I might add) said back in the 30's, "the farther back you look, the farther forward you can see". Kinda makes ya go Hmmmmmmmmm.... ;)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
This one really has tremendous potential..could be both a CRT and digital killer at the same time..

I recall reading a similar announcement about a year ago - that one from Toshiba - no Canon partnership then..

Great to see SED is moving forward..

:)

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
Wow! This is really something. I can't wait to see some specs on this. So what do you think the price range will be for one of these babys?

John

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
There was no pricing mentioned in what I read..

The initial models would be 16:9 at 42" diagonal - like any new technology the 1st gen models would be (relatively) expensive, but then should get larger in size and drop in price..

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Zolzar
Wow! This is really something. I can't wait to see some specs on this. So what do you think the price range will be for one of these babys?

John
Well, any business model would dictate "competitive" at the very least. Intitial models would probably be somewhat limited, or geared mostly to the high end (like bigger displays) to cover development costs, but pricing it sky high with no real value would be economic suicide. Expect it to be released at competititve retails for the sizes offered.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Zolzar

John
market will dictate, but it will have to be competetive with the other digital offerings...which is always good for the consumer!

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M NEWMAN
Basically, imagine a miniature, dedicated CRT for every pixel in the image, and that's what ya got here....flat panel CRT. Should be interesting, because it'll retain the smooth gradation ability of CRT, while gaining the brightness and clarity of digital.
I wonder what the fill factor will be (the distance between each pixel where no 'image content' can be displayed).

While having each pixel behave like it's own little CRT has it's advantages, we're still loosing the 'no pixel structure' advantage of CRT's.

Kal

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
There's an article about Toshiba's SED sets in the current issue of The Perfect Vision..It was on display at a recent show in Japan...

A few of the comments in the review..

They use the same phosphors as CRT's, thereby providing similar colour performance..the blacks were dead black - contrast ratio is reported as being 8600:1, with 2048 shades of black to white..

"I observed no dithering artifacts"

"The SED demo was very promising, exhibiting excellant colour and saturation , as well as direct view like contrast ratio and high brightness levels.."

Production models are expected to be 1920 x 1080P, 50+ " screensizes and under $10K..

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Wait a sec. 1920 X 1080 = 2,074,600 astig magnets and color balances to do. By the time you've done the last one, the first one's color balance is off.

Could be handy for those ISF guys though..

:)

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I don't know, man....I mean, who's going to want to adjust a million tiny yokes? :D

But seriously, the only shortcoming I see from this is that it's still based on phosphors, and therefore phosphor ageing and burn-in is likely to be a factor.

I'm thinking that LED panels are going to be the winner in flat panel display technologies over the next decade, once they move to market. They have the total package: Long life, very high intrinsic brightness per unit area, true blacks, low power consumption, and availability of color correct red, green, and blue emitters with no persistence issues. Plus they can easily be fabricated as RGB integrated panels (direct vision) or as separate panels for each color. The separate panel design lends itself to the production of small,

very high resolution, very bright panels that are both the image source and the light source for very bright large projection displays.

You've seen the new generation LEDs, I'm sure. Just ONE of them can be

painfully bright to look at. Radio Shack sells a blue LED that puts out 3.6 candlepower. Now imagine 921,600 of them on a single color panel, (and three panels in use) on a 1280x720 panel that's about six inches wide. (.05 inch pitch from LED to LED). That's 3.3 MILLION candlepower from just ONE display panel. Or TEN MILLION candlepower for a 3 panel RGB projector!

Of course, odds are that a LOWER output LED chip will be required for most applications. LEDs are power efficient, but the current draw would still be quite large for the above example. The power supply and cooling systems would be far larger than the projector core.

THIS is why I believe that the LED will prove to be the king of all light

production technologies before long, including display technologies.

CJ

·
Registered
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M NEWMAN
The more things change....the more they stay the same. As Winston Churchill (a purdy smart dude, I might add) said back in the 30's, "the farther back you look, the farther forward you can see". Kinda makes ya go Hmmmmmmmmm.... ;)
42" eh? I thought us CRTers started at near double that. Maybe I'm wrong. 'Go big AND go home' is my motto.

opps, didn't see the "50+" inches. I'll take that back.

Maybe what Winston meant to say was "I'm so far back, I think I'm ahead". hehe

·
Registered
321 Posts
Outside of having an 11-bit gray scale (vs 10 bits in other good digital displays), why is this going to be any better than a good plasma? BTW, unless I am crazy, the gray scale range is also the effective contrast ratio of a display - not to be confused with the full off/on contrast ratio that is specified. Yet another reason to love analog CRT projectors.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cmjohnson
They have the total package: Long life, very high intrinsic brightness per unit area, true blacks, low power consumption, and availability of color correct red, green, and blue emitters with no persistence issues.
I thought OLED's biggest disadvantage was that it has an extremely short life. I read that the current stage of the technology has a lifespan of 300-500 hours.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
OLEDs have some thousand hours, but not actually working hours, but real hours, so they live some months if you watch or not. Could be a reason to watch movies 24/7 to get the most value out of the money :)

I hope they get the lifespan to a higher value and make a 100" pulldown screen.

As the OLEDs should be printable on large ink jets they would be cheap and as long as it lasts 2 years and costs less than a digitalos lamp...

Roland

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Non-organic LEDs have lifespans in the hundreds of thousands of hours. OLEDs are showing a shorter lifespan, so far, but I predict that the chemical changes that are causing them to die relatively young will be analyzed and engineered out of future generations.

The first full color OLED billboard in my area has been running for about a year now, and YES, you can see a change in its qualities. The LEDs in the central section (where they're getting more hours of use) are slightly dimmer.

CJ

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CMRA
We are projector heads. Nothing less than 100" will do. There's just something about BIG that makes cinema cinematic.
agree 100% - but every rear display technology starts off at the 40-42" size..

I see no reason why this couldn't go to 100" and beyond..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.