AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking CSS website and found the info on the new SDX sub. From the looks of it, it's going to be quite an upgrade from the original. It's going to have a bigger motor (more power handling), I believe in the 1500-2000watts range. The voice coil in going to be 4". The xmax is supposed to be at least 34xmax. I wonder about the price, it should be more than the old one. If they can keep it around $300-350, and performs as advertised, it should do well. I used the "old" SDX version so I know what it can do. Anyways, it should provide another great choice among the DIY 15" drivers, Tempest, TC LMS-R, AV15X/H, etc.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
kickass. before I got into 18's I almost got several of those when Adire, AA, and old RE went out

·
Registered
7,384 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts

Quote:
It's not out yet. Specs are still a guess at best but from what I have read, 34mm excursion and 1500 watts have come up. Not sure about motor strength etc...

The specs are very conservatively stated. This is gonna be a game changing subwoofer.

How do I know?

Guess.

I have known about it for about 9 months.

Most definitely worth the wait.

Mark

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mwmkravchenko, if true, then the competition could be in trouble, specially if it comes in at an attractive price. Any estimate on the price? Is this sub coming early next year? How about the outside diamater, same as before (for mounting)? I also wonder if they are going to keep sensitivity the same. It does look like it's going to be DVC 2OHM.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Main reason I went with the AV15H over the original SDX was the mid/upper bass performance which appeared to be better in WinISD, by a wide margin on the AV15Hs (as I have to cross up in the 100 to 120hz range). Will be interesting to see what the specs say about this one and the price point.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used both the AV15X and the SDX and agree, the AV15X has better mid/upper bass, but not by much. On the other hand, the SDX has a little better low bass response. To me, the AV15X was the better overall sub, but by a small margin. This new SDX version is going to improve the low bass from the original, that's a given, if there are also improvements (even minor ones) in the mid-bass area, this will become the 15" driver to beat (price/ratio performance).

·
Registered
471 Posts
Rumor mill has it at....

I don't know the price. I do know that the driver is being made to be a drop in replacement for the old SDX15. It is a very well engineered driver.

You guys will be very happy with what is coming.

When it comes is a combination of timing. Chinese new year can wreck havoc on anyone's timetable when it comes to manufacturing. So keep that in mind.

I'm sorry I can't say much more. But that's the way the ball bounces.

Mark

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
I have not read an update on the AE forum. Im still waiting for another AV15X.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
$350. Isn't that quite a big step up in price to the last one. That's FI Q18 area. It will be interesting to see how it also compares to FI's new line off high excursion drivers. Its a shame they don't do an 18" too.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just as a bit of a reality check I have been running the numbers of the FI drivers through WinISD. Me thinks there is a fudging of some of the specs. Particularly the Sd. The basket size and the hole cut out for the box tell a little different story.

SD is usually given from surround center to surround center.

Mark

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi Graham

My reasoning comes from a design/engineering standpoint. The basket used is an open unlicensed product implemented by many companies. The PE Titanic series is another example of the same basket. When you simple look at the sizes and specs they don't add up. The Titanic has a smaller surround and yet a lower Sd than the FI product. The larger surround should automatically reduce the available Sd.

The Dumax testing on the Titanic gives an even smaller value for the Sd.

I come from a background in audio that includes driver design. These little tid bits can explain a great deal when you reason them through. They are mechanical facts not opinions.

My involvement with CSS is simple an extra set of experienced eyes on the products in development. I'm not the designer.

But what I can say confidently is that there are few companies that post as conservative and accurate driver specifications.

Mark

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mwmkravchenko, how much better do you think the new version of the SDX is going to be vs the old version in the low bass? (below 30hz). Some 2-3db's better? How about the mid-bass? (40hz-100hz) Will it be able to match say a AE AV15X? Just curious.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts