AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was mentioned by Julio de la Orden and Tom Stites in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/005844.html , but news this big deserves a thread of its own.

Product spec sheets are available from JVC Pro or Tom's website:

www.jvc.com/pro
www.large-screen.com

M2000LU

2000 ANSI lumens

1365x1024 resolution

Interchangeable lenses

Over 350:1 contrast

Adaptive Digital Pixel Conversion (new improved scaler)

16X Digital zoom

Digital keystone correction

550W Xenon lamp

$16,995 MSRP

M5000SC (Super Contrast)

5000 ANSI lumens

1365x1024 resolution

1000:1 contrast (wow!!!)

10-bit gamma correction

Horizontal & Vertical lens shift

1.6kW Xenon lamp with 8-step adjustable output

HD-SDI input option

No MSRP listed.

The M5000SC looks sweet! Also rumoured is a 150 model which will be a version of the M2000 optimized for HT. Tom, any more details you can provide us?

Cheers,

Dave.

[This message has been edited by David Panko (edited 05-02-2001).]

· Registered
4,525 Posts
Yes, Tom, more details would be wonderful.

Is a lens included in these base prices? Is there an anamorphic lens option for optimized 16:9 output (that would be sweet).

Is the M2000 bulb the same 550W Xenon used in the G10/G11/G15 projectors?

By the way, are you use that is a digital zoom? I've always thought that digital zooms were usually inferior to optical zooms.

· Registered
462 Posts
I read the messages in this forum almost every night hoping that Tom Stites would have some great announcement. Gosh, recently JVC announced two new projectors and there was not even a drum roll, not even someone banging on a triangle. Lets go JVC.

Tony C

My home theater is still schedule for completion around the end of July.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Am I correct to assume that this contrast specification is due to the high brightness, and not really representative of the absolute black level?

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David, brightness and contrast are unrelated. With a 1000:1 full on/off contrast ratio a 5000 lumen projector would be putting out 5 lumens as an absolute black. Since this projector has an 8 step adjustable output I assume the lamp can be scaled back to, say, 1500 lumens. At this brightness the absolute black level would be 1.5 lumens, compared to 3 lumens for a G15 (assuming a 500:1 contrast). So the blacks should be twice as good as a G15, given the same peak whites.

The 1000:1 contrast ratio is on par with 3-chip DLP eCinema projectors. If you have a chance check out the DLP theatre at the Paramount at John & Richmond for an idea of just how good digital blacks can be.

Cheers,

Dave.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
David,

I ask this cuz I am not certain: Isn't contrast ration exactly that, the diff between the brightest white and the absolute black level?

Therefore, if you increase the brightness, do you not therefore increase the brightest white, and therefore increase the contrast ratio? From what you say, does that mean that the black level goes up proportionally, and thus cancels out any change in the ratio because of the increased brightness?

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The contrast is a ratio, not a difference. If you cut the light output in half both the peak whites and absolute blacks are cut in half. The ratio between the two remains the same.

Dave.

· Registered
554 Posts
I saw a demo of the M5000SC at NAB 2001, and it was quite impressive. They had a black tent set up so the demo was in complete darkness. Other than what looked like some minor scaling artifacts (I sat in the front row), the picture was by far the best digital picture I have ever seen. The screen was about 15 feet wide. I don't think they were blasting out 5000 lumens. There was no need in such a dark environment. The whites weren't blinding, and the black level was excellent. Not as dark as a CRT, but darker than any film presentation I have seen.

As a side note, Panasonic was using two of its new 3-chip DLP projectors in a stacked configuration projecting onto what had to be a 30 foot wide screen. The screen towered over the show and had to compete with full room light, yet still looked remarkably dynamic. Black level was poor of course, but high contrast content was something to behold. I have never seen video projected that big and still look good. The kicker was that they weren't using anamorphic lenses - the picture was letterbox, so the resolution was only 1280x720!

Dave

· Registered
547 Posts
who is Julio de la Orden?

seems like he knows more about jvc secret info than tom stites is. and what is wong with tom, if he knew about this why didn't he mention it to us before julio did.

· Registered
6,092 Posts
David M,

The 1000:1 is undoubtedly a on/off ratio. This means that whatever the intesity of peak white is at the screen, the black level will be 1000 times less.

Peak white and contrast ratio are ultimately more important than black level.

You can always achieve better blacks by using a grey screen (which will reduce ambient light as well) or in this case using the projector's light output reduction settings which more than likely greatly extend bulb life in the process.

Anyway you look at it the additional brightness is a plus.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

[This message has been edited by MrWigggles (edited 05-02-2001).]

· Premium Member
807 Posts
Any chance the lens for a G1000-G20 will work on either of these projectors?

Larry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.