AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Thanks for the info. Good to see The Ring is coming out!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
The Limey and Mulholland Drive are excellent films and the kind of thing that you'd expect to come out on a filmo-phile format. It's not that I wouldn't like to have The Fifth Element or Aliens, but many serious film fans would consider those titles listed above the 'A' list titles and the blockbusters as the mindless fluff, I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I just can't justify spending $30-40 on a movie I've barely heard of, let alone seen. I would rather the high-budget blockbusters with the expensive budgets come to DTheater... but I realize I may be in the minority among D-Theater users.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't usually get into discussions as to the merits of one movie over another, as it is an argument one will never win.

We all have very different tastes.

However, I would just make the comment that while The Limey and Mulholland Drive are both very good films, I don't know that they fall in to the "repeat viewing", "must buy" category as do many "blockbusters".

Nor do they, IMO, take the fullest advantage of D-VHS' capability of showing off superb video and audio characteristics.

Say what you will about films like The Fifth Element, (and other mindless fluff :)) they look and sound great and often stand up to more than one viewing.

If we really want the D-VHS format to grow and prosper it's the "blockbuster" type of movie that we need to get it moving.

We also need "day and date" releases, not movies that were released years ago.

I would hazard a guess that X-Men sold far more copies than Gosford Park.

Mark

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Mulholland Drive, have the DVD, will buy the D-Theater as soon as it's out. I was glad to see that title, but then I enjoyed Snow on the Ceders (D-Theater).

As the fellow above stated, it's all a point of view, maybe more important was the "good press" the format got in "The Digital Bits". I'm always glad to see additional movies added to the format.

Take care..... watch and enjoy some HDTV today.....

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Mulholland Drive is a repeat a dozen times movie. You pick up new things with each viewing. i have watched my DVD 8 or 9 times and am thrilled it will be released on D-Theater.

BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF is exactly the kind of film that will benefit from D-Theater. It is filled with fantastic scenery and is a kick ass action film.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
After having seen WM-9 on the Samsung HD-2 projector that Joe Kane is working on I have come to the conclusion the MPEG-2 is not long for this world :O. Along with D-VHS. With 1080P display devices just around the corner and the valuable spectrum,both OTA and DBS, that could be used more effectively by a better compression scheme, coupled with Microsoft's tenacious appetite to own everything and having pockets deep enough to make it happen, the next few years will indeed be VERY INTERESTING.

D-VHS is the niche product without a niche or the software to move it into a niche, (Too bad) :( and with WM-9 nipping at it's heels with major studio support, more so than D-VHS, it's release a few more titles and then he lights will continue to dim to total darkness.

Oh well I can add it with my Laserdisk's and player and say it was REALLY COOL when it was the king of the hill. ;)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
WM9 has the potential to be the king, but only if they do not compromise! They must keep the bit rate high enough to handle fast motion. If they do, they can master at 720p or 1080p and have superior results than current OTA HD and likely better than D-Theater.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
D-VHS is the niche product without a niche or the software to move it into a niche, (Too bad) and with WM-9 nipping at it's heels with major studio support, more so than D-VHS, it's release a few more titles and then he lights will continue to dim to total darkness.
I agree that D-Theater is a niche product, and I bought it knowing that. But WM9 isn't going to do anything either. This has been discussed to death already. The only major next step forward that is going to get widespread support is HD-DVD, and it's very, very unlikely that it is going to use WM9.

WM9 will probably have a part to play in web delivery, and some other applications, but it's not going to challenge D-Theater as a prerecorded format. Delivery on anything other than a shiney disc is doomed eventually, and the Warner red laser solution is DOA, and WM9 is basically tied to that format in terms of shiney discs. Delivery of videophile content for computer playback is an ultra-niche market, even smaller than D-Theater's probably.

Blue laser is the next step, and it seems very unlikely, no matter who wins the race to get a blue laser solution out, that they are going to use WM9, because of the politics involved (and I agree with those politics myself in this case.) No one wants MS getting their hooks into yet another major area.

·
Registered
585 Posts
And if you think the D-Theater selection is paltry, just take a look at the WM9 list...

Terminator 2.

-Pie

·
Registered
585 Posts
On a more serious note.

No matter what we think of these movies, the real issue is this: how well did they perform at the box office? And I'm talking about recent theatrical releases, not older ones like T2 or Something about Mary.

The number of box-office winners to losers is very thin indeed in the D-Theater arena. Certainly we've had some scores if you look at earnings: Ice Age, X-Men, Fight Club... but these are all older D-Theater releases. The newer D-Theater titles seem to be box office losers to some extent. The last announcement included Daredevil and Phone Booth. Did either of these last more than 2 weeks in theaters?

This set is actually a bit better, with The Ring doing very well, and Brotherhood of the Wolf also being a hit. But The Limey? (Which I personally liked.) The Emperors Club? And, Novociane...??? I mean gimme a break!

Let's take a closer look even: Brotherhood is a foreign film, and the Ring is indy. We're talking sleepers here. I don't know if that means anything, but they are very different types of movies than X-Men 2, or (dare I say) Matrix: Reloaded. Now *those* are hits.

Again, we can argue artistic merit, but one thing is for sure: we aren't seeing any more major blockbusters in D-Theater. Why not? To me, that question bodes most ill for the future of this format. I guess my impression is that if studios think D-Theater is viable, they will release their "real" product on it. But they're not... so it's not.

I love D-Theater, and I still am looking out for something really good... as in, something that the studios think is really good. And if there's a way for a small group of early adopters to lobby the studios to do this, I'd love to hear it!

-Pie

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Again, we can argue artistic merit, but one thing is for sure: we aren't seeing any more major blockbusters in D-Theater. Why not?"

Pie,

I wonder........could it be due to the fact the distributors have to pay the studios far less in royalties for these second tier titles than for blockbusters? Hmmmm.....

Mark

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
"I just can't justify spending $30-40 on a movie I've barely heard of, let alone seen. I would rather the high-budget blockbusters with the expensive budgets come to DTheater... but I realize I may be in the minority among D-Theater users."

For me the some what "barely heard of" movies work very nicely. I mostly use the theater for entertaining and when friends come over it works much better having a few movies they haven't seen. Of course I more or less limit my purchases to three stars or better (Ebert's rating) and certainly hope the selection gets wider. As examples I'll take Snow Falling on Cedars over Chicago or Daredevil over Spiderman. Not saying one movie is better than another...

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EatingPie
The newer D-Theater titles seem to be box office losers to some extent. The last announcement included Daredevil and Phone Booth. Did either of these last more than 2 weeks in theaters?

This set is actually a bit better, with The Ring doing very well, and Brotherhood of the Wolf also being a hit. But The Limey? (Which I personally liked.) The Emperors Club? And, Novocaine...??? I mean gimme a break!

Let's take a closer look even: Brotherhood is a foreign film, and the Ring is indy. We're talking sleepers here. I don't know if that means anything, but they are very different types of movies than X-Men 2, or (dare I say) Matrix: Reloaded. Now *those* are hits.

-Pie
OK, you don't have your facts straight. Both DAREDEVIL and PHONE BOOTH were hits. PHONE BOOTH was actually a surprise hit and made much more money than anyone anticipated. You can certainly say NOVOCAINE and THE EMPERORS CLUB are in the snooze category. But then again, THE LIMEY was a well respected inde hit.

And THE RING is NOT an Inde film. It was a major studio film from DreamWorks and a big time blockbuster.

Both MULHOLLAND DRIVE and BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF are the kind of niche films that the studios hope will sell. Both films were very high on want lists and you can be sure that is why MCA is releasing them.

But they continue to "protect" the A list new hits. This is unfortunate.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.