AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back from the dead.
Looks that way. I hope they make it.

I came across the Darblet some years ago and then came to the forum expecting the long knives to be out -- but NO !! People liked the thing. My system is clearly missing an important spark without it, and I am so pleased that a new model is finally coming. And 4K no less. If the new unit is half as good as the old one it will have been worth the wait.

·
Registered
Quadruple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
5,415 Posts
This is great. I'm still using a darbee with my 1080p projector and it by far enhances the image than not. Be great if it works well. It will definitely clear up some of the softness of 4k eshift projectors. Breathe even more life into them. If the original darbee can enhance the sharpness and clarity of my Runco Q750, then the 4k darbee should do the same to native 4k and eshift 4k.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope the new product keeps the essential elements of the Darbet. The extra sense of detail and depth really elevates the viewing experience. It is odd that better quality images look even better, 3D seems more real but lower quality images don't really benefit. Very different than a scaler.

·
Registered
78 Posts
+1 Keeping an eye on this one. My use case is mostly gaming and the DVP5000S has no lag I can perceive. But it just doesn't have the bandwidth to pass high frame rates. It does do 720p120hz which is a really low resolution nowadays. I switched over the Marseille mClassic because of it's 1080p120hz and 4K support. While I like the mClassic's antialiasing, it sharpening effect doesn't even come close to what the Darbee can do. Hopefully when Pixelgen comes out with their unit it doesn't just support high resolutions but also higher frame rates at lower resolutions.

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
In fore more info.....
The underlined Blu-ray link in my post goes to the Aug.12 press release if you haven't read that. Don't know why it posted like that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Any more info on this? Just curious if this is why the oppo was so great because oppo incorporates the darbee in it. I wonder how this is work compared to the Lumagen pro? This is such a great price point it will be hard to not jump on this.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oppo was great before and is great without Darbee. I ran an outboard Darbee Darblet with an Oppo 103 for years until the Darblet died. I am very much looking forward to the resurrection of Darbee as a 4K version. Plus the Darblet I was using looking like a kid's Heath Kit project.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
From this thread:
this press release:

Attachments

·
Banned
59 Posts
good news, too bad there is no quality report?
what have they improved compared to the 1080P generation?
what will we get from the current generation?
will we get a version inside a video card for the computer? Or a streamer?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
After years of working like a champ, my Darblet died two days ago. I'm happy to hear that they are coming out with a new product. The Darblet was one of the best A/V purchases I ever made.

·
Registered
582 Posts
This was posted over at blu-ray.com-“I tweeted at the company this week and got this response:
Hello Ron! Our team is working hard to deliver PXLVISION (4K DVP) in the April/May timeframe. As you can imagine, nothing is predictable anymore (HW dev no different) but dedication to get this into your home is high. DM your email to subscribe and get important news as it hits.”
Looks like it may be priced at $499.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the original 2nd version of darbee currently hooked up to my epson 2150 .

Will this new system be better regardless of ones setup, or will I only benefit if I get a 4K tv or projector?
Information around this on their site is quite vague.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have to believe that it is backwards compatible.
I will still be using my darbee(s) for my 1080 & below service. The new unit will be on the output of my Oppo UDP-203 for shiny disk service.

From their website:
  • Max High-speed Bit-rate: 17.91Gbps/5.94Gbps per/CH (4K60 8-bit 4:4:4)
  • 4K60/50/30/25/24, 1080p120/60/50/24, 720p60/50, 1080i60/50 (With DVP™)
  • Standard Dynamic Range: 4K SDR formats with sub-chroma sampling up to 4:4:4, 60 frames per second & 12-bit colour depth
  • High Dynamic Range: 10-bit 4K HDR formats (HDR10, HDR10+, Hybrid Log Gamma) at 60 frames per second with DVP™ enhancement available with future firmware release
  • Colour space: BT.2020, BT.709, BT.601

1 - 20 of 109 Posts