AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
I think the point is this new Darbee isn’t for anyone that wants HdMI 2.1. It’s typically for home theater projector users - none of which have HDMI 2.1. If you want a video processor that can do HDMI 2.1, get a MadRV Envy Extreme ( for 20 X the cost ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think the point is this new Darbee isn’t for anyone that wants HdMI 2.1. It’s typically for home theater projector users - none of which have HDMI 2.1. If you want a video processor that can do HDMI 2.1, get a MadRV Envy Extreme ( for 20 X the cost ).
I think you're on the wrong track here, no projector is suited for HLG, HDR10, HDR10+, DV etc. (1 or 2 exceptions)
They clearly had flat panels in mind when designing the device, which projector needs 120Hz for 1080p, as per the specification?
Which projector needs Audio Return Channel?

They tried to appeal the market, but seem to meet none of the market's demand.
Projector users could use a much, much simpler device, while flat panel users could use a more refined device, with HDMI 2.1 in mind.
As someone mentioned earlier, he outputs 120Hz from his madVR HTPC for the correct pulldown for 24Hz content, but seeing the PXLVISION does not support it, renders it useless.

I will just say this, again, a super clear occasion where there has been no market investigation/survey.
It is so simple to reach out and ask consumers what they want and need out of a device prior to dedicating yourself to a certain design.
There are way too few companies that does this, and the companies that do, are the ones that will lose the least amount of money, going in the wrong direction.
Success is achieved by meeting the market demand, and appealing to users needs and setups, fundamentaly understanding their needs is key for the underlying success.

None of the above has been met in this case, this is my honest opinion and understanding.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
I think you're on the wrong track here, no projector is suited for HLG, HDR10, HDR10+, DV etc. (1 or 2 exceptions)
They clearly had flat panels in mind when designing the device, which projector needs 120Hz for 1080p, as per the specification?
Which projector needs Audio Return Channel?

They tried to appeal the market, but seem to meet none of the market's demand.
Projector users could use a much, much simpler device, while flat panel users could use a more refined device, with HDMI 2.1 in mind.
As someone mentioned earlier, he outputs 120Hz from his madVR HTPC for the correct pulldown for 24Hz content, but seeing the PXLVISION does not support it, renders it useless.

I will just say this, again, a super clear occasion where there has been no market invenstigation/survey.
It is so simple to reach out and ask consumers what they want and need out of a device prior to dedicating yourself to a certain design.
There are way too few companies that does this, and the companies that do, are the ones that will lose the least amount of money, going in the wrong direction.
Success is achieved by meeting the market demand, and appealing to users needs and setups, fundamentaly understanding their needs is key for the underlying success.

None of the above has been met in this case, this is my honest opinion and understanding.
You bring up some valid points. Darbee probably should have brought out a less expensive 4K capable version of their previous 1080p model. But seeing as the HDMI 2.1 chips available now aren't fully up to the 48Gbps specs anyway, maybe they will revise this down the road to make it HDMI 2.1. It's not like all the receiver manufacturers building 2.1 capable receivers have been trouble free. Hard to say.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You bring up some valid points. Darbee probably should have brought out a less expensive 4K capable version of their previous 1080p model. But seeing as the HDMI 2.1 chips available now aren't fully up to the 48Gbps specs anyway, maybe they will revise this down the road to make it HDMI 2.1. It's not like all the receiver manufacturers building 2.1 capable receivers have been trouble free. Hard to say.
Spot on, I don't think PXLVISION will sell very well, and as someone mentioned previously, perhaps that's the final straw for us not seeing yet another device.
Pixelgen Design did say though, in their August 2020 press release, that the PXLVISION will be the first product of many products that include Darbee's 4K DVP, so we shall see.

I have sent them several emails prior to this release, asking for what we want to see, haven't had a single reply back, this makes me quite irritated, to explain simply.
There is nothing wrong in listening to consumers, sharing thoughts, design aspects etc, it's not like one of the consumers will pop up and compete with their own product.
Perhaps not quite similar, completely different subject, but look what Sony did with their 4K UHD blu-ray surveys, they went out asking people what they wanted to see, VERY clever.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My reply was not intended to offend, but i realise now that it was quite offensive , so............... My Apologies !
No worries brother

·
Registered
574 Posts
Oh, I didn't know.

Available for PRE-ORDER only, you will be notified upon shipment. Estimated ship date begins 06/21.

That's 3 months off!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'll be very interested to see some on/off screenshots of what they can achieve compared to the first Darbee

Reactions: mattg3

·
Registered
574 Posts
How can you compare 1080 and below to 4K? There is a link on their home page to a demo.
The only interesting comparison is 1080p vs 1080p coming out of both devices, same percentage setting.
There has been no mentioning anywhere about improved algorithms or refined Darbee DVP, either from Pixelgen Design or DarbeeVision Inc.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Sorry, I can be no help there, as I am using a Darbee 5000S for 1080 and below on the output of my Integra. I will be using the new unit on the output of my Oppo UDP-203 for shiny disk service.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Late to this thread, a fellow former darbee user thru 2017 on my Sony VW60, when I got my JVC RS400. I’ll let you early buyers give feedback before I buy this newer unit.

That's the 128" diagonal 2.35:1 screen. The tables usually have wine glasses and wine bottles on them, and they really don't reflect any light at they angle they are at. Besides, got to have some good vino with a good movie.
Or, with a “so-so” movie like WW84 vino will help you get to the end

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
Late to this thread, a fellow former darbee user thru 2017 on my Sony VW60, when I got my JVC RS400. I’ll let you early buyers give feedback before I buy this newer unit.

Or, with a “so-so” movie like WW84 vino will help you get to the end

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
If it's that bad, I'm bringing in a half dozen bottles of Single Malt or bourbon ! :oops:

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is a new YouTube video that talks about the new darbee but no actual videos of before and after. This really needs to be in the hands of some YouTubers like spare change and Youthman and try these things out

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
What is the best Darbee to get for use with 1080p projectors? But probably using madvr to downscale 4K UHD discs to 1080p projector. I especially care about smoother motion without resorting to frame interpolation (unless I want to), but what I mean is something that will enhance the picture even at 24hz.

Edit: I will be doing 3D with two projectors also, so I dont know if I'd need two darbee processors or one. Probably not, just go 3d blu ray source device output to one darbee, then darbee output to 3D demux box which will send the signal to both projectors.

So I think I just need one. But it would be good if it can enhance 3D too, not just 2D.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yah I think there are many more questions than answers at this point. I did my pre order and I am excited to see what comes about with it. I am really hoping they hit it out of the park with this

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I got an E-Mail today from Jack @ Pxlvision:
"To answer your main question, you can 100% hook up PXLVISION between the Oppo UDP-203 and the 8K Samsung without any issue. All SDR 4K formats will be Darbee processed immediately out of the box and in the short term, all 4K HDR formats will operate in pass through mode at launch. Once the firmware update is available, PXLVISION will also operate at all 4K 10-bit HDR formats (HDR10, 10+ etc.) under the HDMI 2.0b specification (4K Dolby Vision is not currently in the plans however, and this will operate in passthrough fine)"

61 - 80 of 83 Posts