861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrii /forum/post/14297311

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36411.html#

I'm conflicted...I like the new look of the dashboard but I am not a fan of the primetime section. I love the new in-game guide though.

Look at it this way: the 360 has, what?, 500 games out there?

How many *aren't* your kind of games?

Hasn't hurt you none, has it?

Don't worry about the games that aren't aimed at you; worry about the ones aimed at emptying your wallet and taking over your life.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It comes accross to me as a less 'hardcore gamer' and more "family oriented" UI...

Which i guess is the mainstream market they are after....

*SIGH*

fortunatly I dont spend that much time looking at the dashboard...

bring on GOW2 baby!!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/14297376

Look at it this way: the 360 has, what?, 500 games out there?

How many *aren't* your kind of games?

Hasn't hurt you none, has it?

Don't worry about the games that aren't aimed at you; worry about the ones aimed at emptying your wallet and taking over your life.

Yesterday he said that there will be 1000 games for the Xbox 360 by years end.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm just hoping we're not forced to use Mi...I mean avatars.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mw182006 /forum/post/14297455

I'm just hoping we're not forced to use Mi...I mean avatars.

No it isn't required to change his clothes. I am pretty sure this isn't somthing along the lines of Sims that you have to take care of it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga /forum/post/14297496

No it isn't required to change his clothes. I am pretty sure this isn't somthing along the lines of Sims that you have to take care of it.

The funny part is, that even though most 'macho' 'hard core' gamers shun the Avatar concept, likely most of the them will get 'into' it. It kind of reminds me of test Drive, where you pick your character, and then get 'coupons' during the races to buy new cloths, sun glasses, etc. Even though i 'did not care' for that aspect of the game, I remember spending enough time 'dressing up my character'.

I see the Avatars as having some serious potential. Just think about the possibility of having a "Marcus' head band as a 'prize' for getting 'Seriously' in GoW2. I guarentee you everyone will want one.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
i think it has alot of potential but i am quite concerned that they didnt show many aspects of the new ui.... how the video/music section will look (hoping for some decent metadata integration), the new marketplace ui, etc.

i really hope we get a nice indepth 20 min video soon so some of these questions can be answered.

but i still am quite excited for some of the other features.... 8 player party system, hd installs, web version of xbox, etc. there will be alot to like this fall.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar /forum/post/14297703

how the video/music section will look (hoping for some decent metadata integration), the new marketplace ui, etc.

Odds are they're still working on those things.

(Its still four-five months away.)

Hopefully they'll take the time to improvevthe music playback and completely *replace* the photo viewer which is simply waaayyy too limited.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/14297879

Hopefully they'll take the time to improvevthe music playback and completely *replace* the photo viewer which is simply waaayyy too limited.

Or maybe they'll also add in more codec support for it as a Media Center Extender while they're at it, or make XBox Live Gold free, or a million other things.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hopefully they will raise the friends list cap as well.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I thought that was an excellent video and definitely makes the new UI look awesome. Also, enough complaining about the Avatars. Its pretty clear they are going to follow the "Large Woman" riding a mo-ped concept......the worst thing about doing it will be when your friends find out, and you'll most likely have a blast when you think noone knows.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/14297879

i hope so but i still would have liked to see those sections.... 4 or 5 months isnt a whole lot of time to add completely missing sections (assuming there is a reason they were missing). it sure looked like in the demo those sections were "selectable".

·
Registered
282 Posts
I like it!

Sexy, smooth, should be faster. Plus the new Guide looks sweet. And now my themes will be shown in full widescreen HD, oppose to the current blades cutting out 30% of the background...lots of wasted space.

Though they haven't shown what the 'sub-menus' are going to look like, like when you go into your games, photos or videos.

Lot's of time to work on it too since it's not expected till Fall.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I did have a question about the themes. Though I never pay for them (I have some of the free ones and last years Emergence day theme) but other people did. So will the "themes" still work? Will they fill that big grey void background?

Also what about the people (again not me because I dont know why you would, but someone must have) paid for gamer pics, I am guessing you HAVE to use the stupid MIP (mircosoft interactive person
well see what stupid name they come up with, Mia, Ma, Mav?).

The MIPs looked pretty generic and not "cool", I certainly would rather not have one "representing" me. I refer the occassional what I think is "cool" game pic. If your going to do the avatar thing, why not get creative and expand out into Scifi/fantasy and let us be a robot or a Elf or even a talking bear or something.....why the big head human? Did someone do some research and find that adult humans think thats interesting or something. Or are they giving up on the people who buy the games the most (adults) and refocusing it soley on kids and moms?

·
Registered
4,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 /forum/post/14297922

Hopefully they will raise the friends list cap as well.

The friend's list cap remains the same. Confirmed by Joystiq and Xbox360Fanboy at a Microsoft luncheon. Overall I am OK new dashboard. As long as it speed of the interface improves or at the very least doesn't make the speed worse than it currently is.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet /forum/post/14300115

I did have a question about the themes. Though I never pay for them (I have some of the free ones and last years Emergence day theme) but other people did. So will the "themes" still work? Will they fill that big grey void background?

They said themes will still work. I believe all themes were developed to fill all of a widescreen HD display. So getting rid of the blades will actually show more of your themes. Yes, I would think they replace the grey background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx /forum/post/14301246

Have they said when they hope to launch this new UI?

"Fall" is the only time they game. I would think it would be before some of their big games hit this year (ie: Fable 2, Gears 2)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebox /forum/post/14301278

They said themes will still work.

They said it directly? Great.

I assumed they would (the new "channels" for the most part seem to map directly to the old blades so its not hard to assume the blade backgrounds will become the channel backgrounds. But it is better to know than to assume.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts