AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/17311748

Funny thing is it looks as if it's taken from a solid source, but the contrast is way too high.

How do you define "solid source"? Again, there are major scratches evident throughout that clip. For all intents and purposes, this looks like just any old public domain print slapped on a BD and labeled "high def".

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker /forum/post/17311998

How do you define "solid source"? Again, there are major scratches evident throughout that clip. For all intents and purposes, this looks like just any old public domain print slapped on a BD and labeled "high def".

I define it as a source taken from a original neg or first generation 35mm print, scratch are issues of condition not image fidelity.

To me this does not look like some multi-generational 16mm dupe was used, and it looks like the source could have provided more detail and levels of contrast, but someone messed up in the mastering or post-techline process. It doesn't have the soft, smeary, look of a multi-generation source. For instance, I can see the subtle pattern on the shirt of the zombie who's eating the intestines, that detail would not have made it through on a source that wasn't pretty close to the neg and didn't have decent range to begin with.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/17315492

scratch are issues of condition not image fidelity.

Okay, but again, a scratched print, to me, negates the label "solid source". You never said "strictly from an image fidelity point of view"...

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker /forum/post/17316987

Okay, but again, a scratched print, to me, negates the label "solid source". You never said "strictly from an image fidelity point of view"...

and honestly a small scratch, a speck here and there, even a reel-change mark have never sent me off the deep end nearly so much as a dupey, faded, or heavily manipulated image. I used to collect films on film, so within reason I don't mind tiny reminders that this was once emulsion on acetate.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/17317767

and honestly a small scratch...have never sent me off the deep end nearly so much as a dupey, faded, or heavily manipulated image.

But let's be fair, I'm not talking about a tiny scratch, I'm talking about two separate, sizable scratches that alternate, running from frame top to bottom, throughout almost the entirety of that clip. It's invasive enough to "send me off the deep end".

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker /forum/post/17319235

But let's be fair, I'm not talking about a tiny scratch, I'm talking about two separate, sizable scratches that alternate, running from frame top to bottom, throughout almost the entirety of that clip. It's invasive enough to "send me off the deep end".

Honestly, if I knew this this release was not the high-contrast image I'm seeing, those scratches wouldn't put me off the purchase. They are noticeable, but kinda flickery and faint, nothing like the deep floor-to-ceiling scratches I'd associate with a badly worn print.

If someone were selling the film used for that clip it would be described as in "very good" condition with occasional light lines.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/17319698

Honestly, if I knew this this release was not the high-contrast image I'm seeing, those scratches wouldn't put me off the purchase. They are noticeable, but kinda flickery and faint, nothing like the deep floor-to-ceiling scratches I'd associate with a badly worn print.

If someone were selling the film used for that clip it would be described as in "very good" condition with occasional light lines.

Fair enough, your call. For me, I've seen far better prints of this film used for SD-DVD, so I know the Hi-Def bar for NotLD can go much higher.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker /forum/post/17320118

Fair enough, your call. For me, I've seen far better prints of this film used for SD-DVD, so I know the Hi-Def bar for NotLD can go much higher.

I've had 2 film prints, 2 VHS, 1 laserdisc, and 4 DVDs of this title. I'm determined to spend $1000 on it before I die.

Seriously though, I am curious about this one, if it were not for the postage Id have a look. Part of me thinks I should just spring for a region-free player and snag the other disk, or wait for the inevitable US release.

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My copy got posted a few days ago (dawn) and some screen shots have popped up

Looks like a new master and not the gwad awful AB one.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Where is Xylon when you need him? I want to see some comparison shots. The screencaps you posted look better than what my memory recalls from the U.S. version but I can;t tell if its just been manipulated or its a new better master...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/17361484

My copy got posted a few days ago (dawn) and some screen shots have popped up

Those screenshots would be from our review over at DVDActive...

The Wilson Bros

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBros /forum/post/17364676

Those screenshots would be from our review over at DVDActive...

The Wilson Bros

Indeed, my bad for not linking.

It blows away the AB DNR mess there is a small ammount of print damage tho

21 - 40 of 108 Posts