AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/17373241

I already said and the Dvdactive review state region free

I've searched through that review using 'region', 'free', and '0' keywords. No where do I see it stated that any of the discs are region free. Please point me in the right direction, if I've missed it.

FYI: 'RCE: No' does not mean region free in case that is what you're basing that comment on. Below is a definition of RCE or Regional Coding Enhancement from DVD Talk:

Quote:
Regional Coding Enhancement

Q: What is Regional Coding enhancement(RCE)?

A: It's a digital enhancement added to some Warner Bros and Columbia DVDs to stop region 1 (R1) DVDs from playing on Region-free DVD players.

Q: What's the difference between Region Coding and RCE?

A: Regional Coding enhancement(RCE) is an additional layer of protection which some studios have placed on select REGION 1 DVDs to prevent them from playing on region-free or multi-region players...

So, until someone verifies the disc by testing it in a player of some sort, I think we're going to continue going in circles.

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/17373383

And Blu-ray does not have Regions with numbers's only letters. I've gone through all my UK discs and none of them say anything about Region on the disc (and only one the case which is might Optimum NOTLD). I hope you are right, but I'm just telling you what Region 0 has meant for DVD for the past 13 years while Blu-ray has had letters for the past 3.

Someone out there must have this disc and has the ability to check region coding.

I know the diff between regions on dvd and on BRD, do you really think Arrow willl print region 0 on a disc if they did not mean it to be "no Region"

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Uh guys, I've got the UK disc and I'm seeing the same noise reduction artefacts in the same places as on the AB disc. It's not the same encode, because certain bits of print damage have been treated differently between the two, and the Arrow version is superficially grainier, but the NR artefacts remain. The grain itself often appears quite clumpy and unnatural. My money's on the NR being baked in to the master.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/17374975

I know the diff between regions on dvd and on BRD, do you really think Arrow willl print region 0 on a disc if they did not mean it to be "no Region"

I would think they would print Region A, B, C to make it clear. Look, I hope you are a right, but 0 refers to DVD for the past decade. Before I spend $40 I want to make sure I can play the disc.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D /forum/post/17375474

Uh guys, I've got the UK disc and I'm seeing the same noise reduction artefacts in the same places as on the AB disc. It's not the same encode, because certain bits of print damage have been treated differently between the two, and the Arrow version is superficially grainier, but the NR artefacts remain. The grain itself often appears quite clumpy and unnatural. My money's on the NR being baked in to the master.

Yeah, DVDActive finally placed new BD captures in their review and they don't look as good as the ones they requested from Arrow.

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd...y-edition.html

So thanks for lying Arrow Films.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Having viewed both, I think I actually prefer the Anchor Bay/Starz disc. The baked-in noise reduction doesn't seem so aggressive on the AB because, unlike the Arrow version, it hasn't got a layer of clumpy grain that is disturbed by movement (think of the DNR on the original crew Trek movies).

If anything, the noise reduction artefacts stand out even more on the Arrow version; there's a shot of Scotty Reiniger yelling "Peter!" just after he shoots the zombie in the red check shirt at the airfield, and as he moves off screen right you can see his outline trailing after him. Ugh.

I'm not saying this stuff isn't there on the AB version, because it is, but the softer look takes the edge off and it's less distracting to me. It's got the proper mono audio too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Review of new UK NotLD released by Network is up. Doesn't look good at all. Network does not seem to be cropped but it's worse in every other aspect.

Dvdtimes.co.uk review with Optimum vs. Network comparison screen shots.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/17376626

I still think it looks miles better than the AB disc

It really doesn't. I'm keeping it purely because I prefer the colour-scheme. Any increase in detail is minimal. It's still heavily DNR'd, as Geoff D has pointed out.

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke /forum/post/17387521

It really doesn't. I'm keeping it purely because I prefer the colour-scheme. Any increase in detail is minimal. It's still heavily DNR'd, as Geoff D has pointed out.

in my opinion, go on try it see what it feels like .

I quite clearly stated it was what I thought, I am not one to present my opinions as fact.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/17388970

in my opinion, go on try it see what it feels like .

I quite clearly stated it was what I thought, I am not one to present my opinions as fact.

Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone's got one and some are smellier than others.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I was going to get the Network NotLD release even with the lesser video quality because I wanted a version without the cropping. I'm glad I read the full review because he states that the Network disc is actually missing lines of dialogue, i.e. the full movie is not there and is ~ 1/2 a minute shorter than the Optimum release. Jeez, can no one release this movie right?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The BD will play on U.S. players. Just received it and it fires up no problem on my PS3.

The transfer isn't much different at from Anchor Bay's Blu-ray. Same clumpy look, motion artifacting, and print damage in the exact same areas. Might be a little darker than the AB.

Can't even trust reviews anymore...or at least studio-supplied captures. Thanks a lot Arrow!

·
Registered
776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat /forum/post/17429349

The BD will play on U.S. players. Just received it and it fires up no problem on my PS3.

The transfer isn't much different at from Anchor Bay's Blu-ray. Same clumpy look, motion artifacting, and print damage in the exact same areas. Might be a little darker than the AB.

Can't even trust reviews anymore...or at least studio-supplied captures. Thanks a lot Arrow!

That's what I've been hearing. Things were very positive initially, so I placed my order and by the time I received it (yesterday), the word is that it's on the same level as the US AB release. Which sucks as Amazon has it for $13 now.

I'm going to watch it before Halloween (waiting for my copy of the 40th Anniversary Edition of NotLD to arrive), so I'll post my impressions soon.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlindstr /forum/post/17385337

Review of new UK NotLD released by Network is up. Doesn't look good at all. Network does not seem to be cropped but it's worse in every other aspect.

Dvdtimes.co.uk review with Optimum vs. Network comparison screen shots.

Wow. Thanks for posting this. The Network looks like CRAP!
The Optimum looks pretty nice, but the cropping looks bad on that cap of the TV. There was a review of it on DVD Beaver a while back. Is this one actually an upconvert, or is it an HD transfer? This is one of my favorites, but if it's an upscale I'll wait for an even better version.

Edit: It's region coded. Bah.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts