AVS Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 /forum/post/18463470

whats motion-lagging? I dont have either of those 2 editions yet, so I cannot compare them to each other by watching.

Look at the shot of Fran against the sky. As she moves, the outline of her face is actually visible in the 'grain', following her across the screen as she goes. This happens throughout the movie on both versions (indicating the same source master, although each has different degrees of dirt/damage removal), but the slightly softer look to the AB/Starz encode takes the edge off of the lagging.

Incidentally, the Argento cut - on either the AB DVD 4-discer or Arrow's set - does not have these artefacts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Got a hold of the 3 disc Dawn package and was not to thrilled to learn that it only partially plays in my player. I have a Sony BDPS360 and from what i read in advance, this would play with no problem. Well, the blu ray of the movie, yes played fine but I could not access the extras. It kept taking me back to the menu and the standard dvd's included will not play at all! Glad i didn't sell my Anchor Bay copy. As for a comparison, my eyes saw absolutely no difference between the UK and the US versions.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was very anxious to get this when i heard about it and even more so when i found out it's region free. However, it's not completely region free. I have a Sony BDP-S360, the Blu Ray of the MOVIE plays fine but when i try to access the extras on the blu ray, it keeps going back to the menu. The other 2 discs in this set, I knew they were DVD's and not Blu-Ray's, but I assumed they would be region free also. Not the case. Neither will play at all on my player. Anyone else experiencing this? Any solution or am i screwed?

·
23,015 Posts
If the SD extras are PAL and your player can't play them, then that could explain the issue.

larry

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yep, that's exactly right. The extras and DVDs for the UK Dawn are in PAL so they won't play on many US players, including the PS3.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 /forum/post/18630417

Yep, that's exactly right. The extras and DVDs for the UK Dawn are in PAL so they won't play on many US players, including the PS3.

Are you 100% sure about that?

Universal has always used NTSC extras even with their UK Blu-ray releases.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlwl /forum/post/18630745

Are you 100% sure about that?

Universal has always used NTSC extras even with their UK Blu-ray releases.

Yes, I'm 100% sure as I own the UK Dawn BD. BTW, Universal only released the remake on Blu-ray. This thread is about the original 1978 Dawn of the Dead, which was released by Arrow Video in the UK.

And even Universal releases on PAL in the UK the case of an extras DVD included with a BD, such as with Hellboy II. Most of the time the extras are on the BD itself, though.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts