AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
No it's actually a guide and then clock set change. But, since the clock adjustments are done daily as long as it happens after the 2am time we should be set...

Since it works now it should work then provided the servers are up to date on the rules for DST.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
It may be confused for up to 1 day.

The clock is set once a day when the replaytv connects to the mothership to get the guide. This connection can happen any time during the day.

If you want to safeguard the shows to be recorded for that day wake up early in the morning and make a manual connect to set the clock.

243-

or menu/settings (for rtv5XXXs)

note: Assumes ReplayTV people promptly adjust their server clock.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Actually I don't really know what happens in the Replay system. It could be as simple as the clock gets set every night or it could be more complicated.

NTP (the method by which Replay sets its clock) only deals with UTC/GMT. It does not deal with localtime like PST8PDT. That is the job of the local app.

On unix systems, there is a zoneinfo file which describes the rules for when DST and Standard Times start/end. I don't know if there is an equivalent in Replay vxworks OS. It is possible DST is handled through the net connect or it could be handled locally. If locally, whatever file that defines the rules needs to be updated. I don't think they would hard code something like that. If it is just a data file, then replay can update w/o OS rebuild. Hopefully this is the case (or DST is handled automatically in net connect)

I tried looking real quick at the OS dump and didn't see any obvious time data files but I could have missed them. I also looked quickly at the RNS protocol and didn't see an obvious place where DST was adjusted, but could have missed it also.

I've never sat around during DST chaneover to see if Replay compensated automatically or only after net connect.

I *think* the Replay Guide and Channel Guide info use GMT so that portion should be unaffected. I'm guessing maybe w/o some time zone info update, the display of time will not be correct, but the recordings will still work since they are GMT, but I'm just totally guessing here.

It could also be I'm looking into things too deeply and everything is already taken care of.

I'm sure someone who knows more will chime in and clarify everything.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually, this may be a blessing (or a curse). I'm pretty confident that DNNA will release an update to patch in the changed rules for Daylight Savings Time before it takes affect in 2007, and while they are at it they may see fit to add some other feature. To be honest, I am so happy and comfortable with how my 5000 series units work that I cannot really think of anything I would add other than a, "Scheduled Recordings" page to peruse what will be recorded in coming hours/days (Gerry has programmed this beautifully into DVArchive, and he can't be THAT much smarter that the DNNA programmers all pooled together I figure).

Of course, it could be a curse--the last update removed the ability to quickly "patch" 5500 series machines to 5000 series machines. They might decide to put other restrictions in an update.

Now I'm starting to get concerned ....

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoma
Actually, this may be a blessing (or a curse). I'm pretty confident that DNNA will release an update to patch in the changed rules for Daylight Savings Time before it takes affect in 2007, and while they are at it they may see fit to add some other feature.
Again, I don't want to set the wrong expectations. It is certainly possible DST is handled during net connect in which case no update is needed. Even if an update is necessary, if it is like Unix systems, only a roughly 512byte zoneinfo file (per zone) needs to be updated. Only in worse case when the rules are hardcoded would a real update need to be sent.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoma
I would add ... a, "Scheduled Recordings" page to peruse what will be recorded in coming hours/days .
How about calling it a "To Do List?"

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I think y'all are getting worked up about nothing. For example, Arizona does not have DST. Since we have not heard in the past about ReplayTVs being off in Arizona, its most likely that the clock is maintained by some other mechanism than an algorithm in the OS. Course that theory goes outthe window if there is a setup for DST on the ReplayTV in the setup menu. I don't remember there being one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas
How about calling it a "To Do List?"
Nah. A "To Do List" is the list that sits on my refrigerator and gets ignored until Sunday when I have all of these random jobs that need to get done. I'm talking about a specific schedule of what will record and when it will record.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Your ReplayTV knows what time zone it's in based on the zip code you entered to set up the listings lineup. It can then adjust the local timezone offset based on that information. To verify that, look up the Ethernet "last connect" time from the System Information menu. You will see that your ReplayTV knows what timezone it's in.

Most likely, without a system update your ReplayTV will be off an hour for a few weeks after the time change. You could change the zip code but that would have consequences. I'm sure that DNNA will take care of it. Even if they didn't somebody else will.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar
I think y'all are getting worked up about nothing. For example, Arizona does not have DST. Since we have not heard in the past about ReplayTVs being off in Arizona, its most likely that the clock is maintained by some other mechanism than an algorithm in the OS. Course that theory goes outthe window if there is a setup for DST on the ReplayTV in the setup menu. I don't remember there being one.
Yes, and there is a specific zoneinfo file just for Arizona, which knows that you do not use DST. You'll be fine regardless, since you never have DST. That has no bearing on whether the rest of us will be fine. We may be, we might not be. Depends on how the DST mechanism was designed.

We know NTP just deals with GMT/UTC, so that by itself has no bearing on DST.

I've looked in my Registry and it does specify PST8PDT for calculating when to dialup to replay servers for guide updates, so my Replay does have some concept of timezones and DST.

My only question is where the zoneinfo (or equivalent information is kept), locally in data file, remotely accessed during net connect, or coded into the application. If it is first or second, it is trivial to update. Even for the latter it is a trivial change, except anytime new OS needs to distributed, more things can go wrong.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I see the issue now.

All I have to say is DNNA are currently selling 5XXXs with lifetime now. If they didn't make any needed patch(if needed) for the new daylight savings change there would be a cohort of customers with a clear cause to be upset about that. Of course every other customer would be upset too. I'm arguing the 1 year old lifetime customers alone would be enough of a driving force to modivate any needed patch.

plus, how hard could it be to make a patch like that?

There's bigger fish to worry about: lets pray they fix the double-select bug awhile they're in there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not really sure why they are making such a big deal about this. Most vcrs and other such things that use dst also have an option somewhere telling you not to recognize dst as well.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill1
Not really sure why they are making such a big deal about this. Most vcrs and other such things that use dst also have an option somewhere telling you not to recognize dst as well.
You have no ability to set the clock on Replay. If it is wrong, you have no way to change it. There is no way to turn on/off dst or even set the clock. It is out of your hands.

I do believe Replay will have it addressed by the time 2007 comes around, I was just curious how this stuff is implemented, as that impacts what they would do to address the rule changes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not a big deal.

Internally we use GMT. This if for our own clock and the database of programs. As long as the database has the correct GMT times the correct program will record even if the time displayed is an hour off.

For display time we us a unix like TZ string that is downloaded from our server. Come 2007, if the next energy bill does not repeal it, all that will need to be done is update the server and display time will be correct.

See, No big deal.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Sure Eric, never a big deal when you know what you're talking about...:D

But any change will always bring the chicken littles a'clucking.

And that's the way it is!

Thanks for the info and reassurances.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I knew this was in the energy bill 2 months ago and that is when I did my own imitation of Chicken Little.

Little know fact. The 1.0 version of software on the 2000’s had no support for DST. Talk about having a hard deadline for a software update.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayEric
The 1.0 version of software on the 2000’s had no support for DST. .
Oops! :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.